Re: [evonline2002_webheads] France Won Too!!!!!!!

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
      Moira,

      You make a very good point, especially about the connection between good
      weather, being outside and being amongst others.

      Last week I was in - rather outside, at a table on the pavement - a
      Pakistani restaurant. As we were eating and watching that part of Berlin go
      by, in two restaurants on the oppositve side of the road people were
      watching a football match on large screens. Certainly the whole scene comes
      back to me as a most pleasant one.

      My daughter, teaching TEFL in Bratislava, just told me (thanks to Skype)
      that she thinks that in the World Cup
      members of the team do have to be nationals. She also described how the
      Goethe Institute kindly invited anyone who wanted to watch the German match
      to free beer and pretzels. "We sat in this lovely room, with a view through
      to the rows of books in the library and watched the match on a large screen.
      There was a woman at the back with a baby and it slept through the whole
      match until we woke it up cheering when Germany won. The whole evening was
      such a pleasant, civilised experience."

      A less grumpy Dennis