France Won Too!!!!!!!

  • Moira Hunter
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
      Hello everybody!

      I'm EXHAUSTED after yesterday - I haven't 'played' so much football for a long while (four years to be precise)!!

      Congratulations France and all French Webheads who were out in the streets shouting and dancing last night!!!!!!!!!

      Congrats to Portugal!!!!!!!!

      Commiserations to both England and Brazil .....

      BTW, have you ever thought how football can affect business? Yes, we all know that it makes money in many ways, but let me tell you of a little story which happened last night in my family.

      My husband has a very important business meeting with someone to seal a contract on Wednesday. My husband is French and the other businessman is Portuguese. Both live in France. What's now happening on Wednesday??? The France v. Portugal match!!!!! My husband phoned the businessman after the France-Brazil match and, by common acccord, they postponed the meeting to another date (a meeting which had been extremely difficult to set up in the first place!!!!). They decided that it would be better to shout and scream separately rather than possibly shout and scream at each other ... hehehe :-))

      Moira

    • Dennis Newson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
        Moira,

        I was at the hairdresser yesterday and he told me he enjoys football ("But
        inside. I don't need to scream and shout".) but he regrets that when there
        is an important match NO-ONE comes to his shop and he sits there all day
        alone - football is bad for (some) business.

        I must ('Must'? )....I feel like confessing that I am not a football fan, or
        any kind of sport's fan. I observe and hear what is going on around me, and
        I simply cannot understand the hysteria. An aspect of nationalism? Really?
        Name me a team where all of the players in a team are nationals of the
        country in question. Money. Money. Money. The German team, the English team
        - what does that mean? It means the country that pays the players, that's
        all.

        And the players aren't always role models either, are they? It's not only
        the fans who get physical.

        I live next door to a pub and hear the screams and groans and chants and
        boohs without being able to see either the game or the people who are making
        the noise. And it does make me wonder. Why do people find it necessary to
        get together and behave that way? And some of them, of course, slowly get
        drunk and then start doing damage.

        I feel a bit isolated and grumpy, but, on balance, I'm happy not to be a
        football fan.

        Dennis

      • Moira Hunter
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
          Dear grumpy, huggable, lovable Dennis,

          So many true words .... but I think what is wonderful is that people DO find it necessary to get together (sadly some drink too and too much). I'm not sure whether it's because they are real football fans, but they have a desire to share something and get together. Sadly, we don't do this a lot in this part of the world - maybe the climate is an excuse?

          For example, I love being in Spain sitting in the street with people of all ages, kids running round, trying to follow a James Bond film in Spanish, and then natttering about it afterwards! The film doesn't interest me at all, my Spanish is rusty but it's just a good feeling to be with everybody else who has taken the effort to be there at the same time to do the same thing.

          In Sunny Southsea (Portsmouth UK for those who don't know), they now put on (weather permitting) open cinema shows and everybody comes with their foldable chairs and picnics to sit on the seafront and watch films that they have probably seen in the cinema anyway, but not in this atmosphere.

          They now have regular open air events in the summer, all free, and it's amazing how many people go and sit there, listening to music, even under the umbrellas sometimes. There's even line dancing and everybody gets up, all generations, and dance all afternoon.

          I adore this feeling, because although the weather is not reliable, people just become 'nice', they do indeed seem to forget all their worries and just enjoy themselves and talk to their neighbours. In the London underground, they certainly wouldn't, unless there was a serious accident, at which point, most people help each other. Aren't we all very strange?

          Le Tour de France has just started, and with a scandal (so another sport where all sportsmen are not 'role models' ), but it is already animating discussions and people will line the streets, have parties and enjoy the show. I'm not a fan, but my family is and I've been part of the spectators for Le Tour de France before, and it's been wonderful, again because people become 'human' !!!!

          I'm all for get-togethers, even if football is the 'excuse', my house is full when there's a match (having only sons) but totally agree that alcohol and the desperate need by some to consume alcohol in order to enjoy themselves, ruins everything!!

          I just wish that there were more big screens out on the streets in the different cities so that people could watch the matches together and not be obliged to watch them in pubs, where they are also (business after all) obliged to consume a minimum. I'm sure in the warmer countries, this happens, doesn't it?

          Moira

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
            Moira,

            You make a very good point, especially about the connection between good
            weather, being outside and being amongst others.

            Last week I was in - rather outside, at a table on the pavement - a
            Pakistani restaurant. As we were eating and watching that part of Berlin go
            by, in two restaurants on the oppositve side of the road people were
            watching a football match on large screens. Certainly the whole scene comes
            back to me as a most pleasant one.

            My daughter, teaching TEFL in Bratislava, just told me (thanks to Skype)
            that she thinks that in the World Cup
            members of the team do have to be nationals. She also described how the
            Goethe Institute kindly invited anyone who wanted to watch the German match
            to free beer and pretzels. "We sat in this lovely room, with a view through
            to the rows of books in the library and watched the match on a large screen.
            There was a woman at the back with a baby and it slept through the whole
            match until we woke it up cheering when Germany won. The whole evening was
            such a pleasant, civilised experience."

            A less grumpy Dennis