Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Teaching intercultural understanding - and being a tutor for Doris' students

  • Carla arena
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2006
      Dear Susanne,

      It seems you really had a very interesting intercultural experience and I
      love the cultural aspect of exchanges. I guess that's why I'm always trying
      to find different ways to talk about with stereotypes with my groups and
      explore the topic with them. Also, I've been using the topic to use
      different technologies and approaches with them (blogs, sambaEFL - podcast
      in podomatic, collaborative experiences in iEARN). It has been really
      rewarding to see the result and realize how much students can learn from
      that.

      Carla in Brazil

      On 6/30/06, susannenyrop <susannenyrop@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > met for a week in March, at the Universidad de León in Spain. Anne
      > Fox is a leading key person in this pilot project, as well as being my
      > personal tutor, and it is a great source of inspiration for me. At the
      > same time, I did have a problem because I did not have any real class
      > where I could practise our work, so I had to improvise.
      >
      > For Doris' students I was encouraged to stand up for some general
      > interview questions about my country - and about myself. And, for
      > the Teaching Culture course I had to finish some experimental lesssons
      > to fulfill the course and get my diploma. I had to pick two activities
      > developed by fellow course participants, and find out how to adapt
      > these to the online context with some students that I've never met,
      > and whose motivation and language level I was not very sure. What I
      > did was quite manipulative; I made a setup and just invited them to
      > the virtual classroom in LearningTimes, which they managed well
      > because they were in the computer lab with Doris (and her colleague)
      > They had text chat plus a shared microphone, So I'm afraid I was
      > talking most of the time (just like most ordinary teachers do f2f)
      > encouraging them to use the shared whiteboard for questions and
      > answers, after a quick and fun warmup exercise, normally known as the
      > Blue Sofa but for the ocasion it was adapted to the online event and
      > presented as a Virtual picnic - out in the blue.It is basically a
      > vocabulary game also building trust because it is very easy to
      > participate, and the rules were bent to be very flexible because I did
      > not really know how to explain the original rules!
      >
      > After this I asked students what they think about Denmark. Nice
      > people, interesting place to visit, some very general suggestions -
      > apparently they had only very little knowledge of MY country. I had
      > hoped they might start mentioning the supposedly world wide known
      > Cartoon case, but this trigger gave absolutely no reaction. I wanted
      > to try to explain to them how stereotypes can give you a narrow view
      > on people without more specific knowledge of individuals, but all of a
      > sudden we hit the last mninute of their class. I really hope they did
      > get some of what they expected, and I was happy to have Anne with me
      > as my helper for a sound recording, as well as my supportive tutor.
      >
      > Thanks to Doris and her dear students for giving me this opportunity
      > to teach a lesson online with a very authentic grop of learners,also
      > for calling me again an hour later for a yahoo conference with another
      > group of students, where my response to their interview questions was
      > more focused; I've saved a chat log just in case you would need that
      > Doris?
      >
      > yours,
      >
      > Sus
      >
      > PS I'm using this also for my reflective learners' diary which I will
      > make public after this Teaching Culture course is over!

    • Anne Fox
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
        Hi Sus
        Thanks so much for inviting me. I thought the virtual picnic worked
        very well as it brought up several dishes which needed explanation.
        I was also surprised that the Mohamed cartoon row had not made it to
        Venezuela. I thought it was interesting (though not rewarding for
        you in the immediate context) that Doris's students knew so little
        about Denmark but I think that simply reflects the great distance
        between the two cultures and also the fact that Denmark is a small
        European country that many Europeans are ignorant of also.

        I was a silent partner probably due to the fact that I was recording
        in Audacity which may have snatched my ability to transmit voice. In
        a way it was lucky because I didn't know beforehand that Sus was
        going to test me by making me say the dreaded Danish phrase 'roed
        groed med floede' to show how badly I pronounce Danish.

        All in all a very interesting experience which deserved to be
        followed up by Doris's students. I think by the way that another
        good reason for follow up is that I could sense their confidence
        growing as the session went on so it would be good to take advantage
        of that in a follow up session. Oh dear - I'm suggesting more work!

        Anne
        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "susannenyrop"
        <susannenyrop@...> wrote:

        > Hello dear webheads
        >
        > I've been quite silent lately here, working on more local projects.
        > But this week I had a comeback :-) as a tutor /guest teacher
        meeting
        > online with two groups of Doris' students. > They had text chat
        plus a shared microphone, So I'm afraid I was
        > talking most of the time (just like most ordinary teachers do f2f)
        > encouraging them to use the shared whiteboard for questions and
        > answers, after a quick and fun warmup exercise, normally known as
        the
        > Blue Sofa but for the ocasion it was adapted to the online event
        and
        > presented as a Virtual picnic - out in the blue.It is basically a
        > vocabulary game also building trust because it is very easy to
        > participate, and the rules were bent to be very flexible because I
        did
        > not really know how to explain the original rules!
        >
        > After this I asked students what they think about Denmark. Nice
        > people, interesting place to visit, some very general suggestions -
        > apparently they had only very little knowledge of MY country. I had
        > hoped they might start mentioning the supposedly world wide known
        > Cartoon case, but this trigger gave absolutely no reaction. I
        wanted
        > to try to explain to them how stereotypes can give you a narrow
        view
        > on people without more specific knowledge of individuals, but all
        of a
        > sudden we hit the last mninute of their class. I really hope they
        did
        > get some of what they expected, and I was happy to have Anne with
        me
        > as my helper for a sound recording, as well as my supportive tutor.
        >
        > Thanks to Doris and her dear students for giving me this
        opportunity
        > to teach a lesson online with a very authentic grop of
        learners,also
        > for calling me again an hour later for a yahoo conference with
        another
        > group of students, where my response to their interview questions
        was
        > more focused; I've saved a chat log just in case you would need
        that
        > Doris?
        >
        > yours,
        >
        > Sus
        >
        > PS I'm using this also for my reflective learners' diary which I
        will
        > make public after this Teaching Culture course is over!

      • Doris Molero
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
          Dear Sus and Anne!

          Thanks so much for giving my students the chance to have this great
          experience at our session in Learning Times. At the beginning they were
          a little scared and they didn't want to speak. I have to say that this
          was their first experience using a virtual room. they are familiar with
          the use of chat but it was a surprise for them to have to talk. They
          were asking questions one another to help each other on what to write or
          talk. All of them were engaged in trying to understand and
          participate.... They're command of the language is basic so they asked
          for help. I'm sure that next time is going to be more active and they
          will feel more confident.

          My students are working on a semester project where they have to select
          a country they like and research about different topics related to the
          lessons in their book. We use the New Interchange program as syllabus
          for our classes. They also have to find a tutor from the country they
          selected to get info from someone in that coutry so their experiences
          are meaningful and fun.. Sus volunteer ed to be their tutor and had the
          chance to meet them through YM, las thursday's experience was their
          first group contact with Sus and were very happy. After they finish
          their research they are supposed to present their findings at a Cultural
          fair.

          Bee and Buth (skype) had also helped my students in little chats where
          they asked some questions about their countries and culture. Special
          thanks to them, too.

          Well, thanks again my dear Webheads for being here for all us!

          Keep on shining!

          Doris3m

        • Carla arena
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
            Dear Doris,

            It seems that you had a wonderful experience! If you need any help, please
            be in touch.

            Carla

            On 7/2/06, Doris Molero <dorismolero@...> wrote:

            > Dear Sus and Anne!
            >
            > Thanks so much for giving my students the chance to have this great
            > experience at our session in Learning Times. At the beginning they were
            > a little scared and they didn't want to speak. I have to say that this
            > was their first experience using a virtual room. they are familiar with
            > the use of chat but it was a surprise for them to have to talk. They
            > were asking questions one another to help each other on what to write or
            > talk. All of them were engaged in trying to understand and
            > participate.... They're command of the language is basic so they asked
            > for help. I'm sure that next time is going to be more active and they
            > will feel more confident.
            >
            > My students are working on a semester project where they have to select
            > a country they like and research about different topics related to the
            > lessons in their book. We use the New Interchange program as syllabus
            > for our classes. They also have to find a tutor from the country they
            > selected to get info from someone in that coutry so their experiences
            > are meaningful and fun.. Sus volunteer ed to be their tutor and had the
            > chance to meet them through YM, las thursday's experience was their
            > first group contact with Sus and were very happy. After they finish
            > their research they are supposed to present their findings at a Cultural
            > fair.
            >
            > Bee and Buth (skype) had also helped my students in little chats where
            > they asked some questions about their countries and culture. Special
            > thanks to them, too.
            >
            > Well, thanks again my dear Webheads for being here for all us!
            >
            > Keep on shining!
            >
            > Doris3m

          • Dennis Newson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
              I haven't got a class to share, but if ever I can be of any help as a person
              to talk to, to ask questions or put questions to etc. don't hesitate to ask.

              Dennis - best contacted first by email :-)

            • Doris Molero
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
                Hi, Carla and Dennis! Thanks so much for your comments and your offer to
                help my classes. We haven't met yet but this a good way to start. I'm
                adding your names to my list of webheads and hope we ca get together
                sometime.

                What I do when I go to the lab to show how to use chat to learn English,
                is to invite fellow webheads to talk to my students. Students find this
                really exciting.

                Have a good trip Rita and give Sus a big hug for me, please!
                Well, once more, thanks, thanks so much for being there.

                Keep on shining!

                Doris3m