Teaching intercultural understanding - and being a tutor for Doris' students

  • susannenyrop
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2006
      Hello dear webheads

      I've been quite silent lately here, working on more local projects.
      But this week I had a comeback :-) as a tutor /guest teacher meeting
      online with two groups of Doris' students. I would like to brief you
      on this, also to explain how I managed to combine the quite casual
      tutoring with my own professional development in a EU Grundtvig pilot
      project called Teaching Culture. This course is partly online; we also
      met for a week in March, at the Universidad de León in Spain. Anne
      Fox is a leading key person in this pilot project, as well as being my
      personal tutor, and it is a great source of inspiration for me. At the
      same time, I did have a problem because I did not have any real class
      where I could practise our work, so I had to improvise.

      For Doris' students I was encouraged to stand up for some general
      interview questions about my country - and about myself. And, for
      the Teaching Culture course I had to finish some experimental lesssons
      to fulfill the course and get my diploma. I had to pick two activities
      developed by fellow course participants, and find out how to adapt
      these to the online context with some students that I've never met,
      and whose motivation and language level I was not very sure. What I
      did was quite manipulative; I made a setup and just invited them to
      the virtual classroom in LearningTimes, which they managed well
      because they were in the computer lab with Doris (and her colleague)
      They had text chat plus a shared microphone, So I'm afraid I was
      talking most of the time (just like most ordinary teachers do f2f)
      encouraging them to use the shared whiteboard for questions and
      answers, after a quick and fun warmup exercise, normally known as the
      Blue Sofa but for the ocasion it was adapted to the online event and
      presented as a Virtual picnic - out in the blue.It is basically a
      vocabulary game also building trust because it is very easy to
      participate, and the rules were bent to be very flexible because I did
      not really know how to explain the original rules!

      After this I asked students what they think about Denmark. Nice
      people, interesting place to visit, some very general suggestions -
      apparently they had only very little knowledge of MY country. I had
      hoped they might start mentioning the supposedly world wide known
      Cartoon case, but this trigger gave absolutely no reaction. I wanted
      to try to explain to them how stereotypes can give you a narrow view
      on people without more specific knowledge of individuals, but all of a
      sudden we hit the last mninute of their class. I really hope they did
      get some of what they expected, and I was happy to have Anne with me
      as my helper for a sound recording, as well as my supportive tutor.

      Thanks to Doris and her dear students for giving me this opportunity
      to teach a lesson online with a very authentic grop of learners,also
      for calling me again an hour later for a yahoo conference with another
      group of students, where my response to their interview questions was
      more focused; I've saved a chat log just in case you would need that
      Doris?

      yours,

      Sus

      PS I'm using this also for my reflective learners' diary which I will
      make public after this Teaching Culture course is over!
    • Carla arena
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2006
        Dear Susanne,

        It seems you really had a very interesting intercultural experience and I
        love the cultural aspect of exchanges. I guess that's why I'm always trying
        to find different ways to talk about with stereotypes with my groups and
        explore the topic with them. Also, I've been using the topic to use
        different technologies and approaches with them (blogs, sambaEFL - podcast
        in podomatic, collaborative experiences in iEARN). It has been really
        rewarding to see the result and realize how much students can learn from
        that.

        Carla in Brazil

        On 6/30/06, susannenyrop <susannenyrop@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > on people without more specific knowledge of individuals, but all of a
        > sudden we hit the last mninute of their class. I really hope they did
        > get some of what they expected, and I was happy to have Anne with me
        > as my helper for a sound recording, as well as my supportive tutor.
        >
        > Thanks to Doris and her dear students for giving me this opportunity
        > to teach a lesson online with a very authentic grop of learners,also
        > for calling me again an hour later for a yahoo conference with another
        > group of students, where my response to their interview questions was
        > more focused; I've saved a chat log just in case you would need that
        > Doris?
        >
        > yours,
        >
        > Sus
        >
        > PS I'm using this also for my reflective learners' diary which I will
        > make public after this Teaching Culture course is over!

      • Anne Fox
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
          Hi Sus
          Thanks so much for inviting me. I thought the virtual picnic worked
          very well as it brought up several dishes which needed explanation.
          I was also surprised that the Mohamed cartoon row had not made it to
          Venezuela. I thought it was interesting (though not rewarding for
          you in the immediate context) that Doris's students knew so little
          about Denmark but I think that simply reflects the great distance
          between the two cultures and also the fact that Denmark is a small
          European country that many Europeans are ignorant of also.

          I was a silent partner probably due to the fact that I was recording
          in Audacity which may have snatched my ability to transmit voice. In
          a way it was lucky because I didn't know beforehand that Sus was
          going to test me by making me say the dreaded Danish phrase 'roed
          groed med floede' to show how badly I pronounce Danish.

          All in all a very interesting experience which deserved to be
          followed up by Doris's students. I think by the way that another
          good reason for follow up is that I could sense their confidence
          growing as the session went on so it would be good to take advantage
          of that in a follow up session. Oh dear - I'm suggesting more work!

          Anne
          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "susannenyrop"
          <susannenyrop@...> wrote:

          > Hello dear webheads
          >
          > I've been quite silent lately here, working on more local projects.
          > But this week I had a comeback :-) as a tutor /guest teacher
          meeting
          > online with two groups of Doris' students. > They had text chat
          plus a shared microphone, So I'm afraid I was
          > talking most of the time (just like most ordinary teachers do f2f)
          > encouraging them to use the shared whiteboard for questions and
          > answers, after a quick and fun warmup exercise, normally known as
          the
          > Blue Sofa but for the ocasion it was adapted to the online event
          and
          > presented as a Virtual picnic - out in the blue.It is basically a
          > vocabulary game also building trust because it is very easy to
          > participate, and the rules were bent to be very flexible because I
          did
          > not really know how to explain the original rules!
          >
          > After this I asked students what they think about Denmark. Nice
          > people, interesting place to visit, some very general suggestions -
          > apparently they had only very little knowledge of MY country. I had
          > hoped they might start mentioning the supposedly world wide known
          > Cartoon case, but this trigger gave absolutely no reaction. I
          wanted
          > to try to explain to them how stereotypes can give you a narrow
          view
          > on people without more specific knowledge of individuals, but all
          of a
          > sudden we hit the last mninute of their class. I really hope they
          did
          > get some of what they expected, and I was happy to have Anne with
          me
          > as my helper for a sound recording, as well as my supportive tutor.
          >
          > Thanks to Doris and her dear students for giving me this
          opportunity
          > to teach a lesson online with a very authentic grop of
          learners,also
          > for calling me again an hour later for a yahoo conference with
          another
          > group of students, where my response to their interview questions
          was
          > more focused; I've saved a chat log just in case you would need
          that
          > Doris?
          >
          > yours,
          >
          > Sus
          >
          > PS I'm using this also for my reflective learners' diary which I
          will
          > make public after this Teaching Culture course is over!

        • Doris Molero
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
            Dear Sus and Anne!

            Thanks so much for giving my students the chance to have this great
            experience at our session in Learning Times. At the beginning they were
            a little scared and they didn't want to speak. I have to say that this
            was their first experience using a virtual room. they are familiar with
            the use of chat but it was a surprise for them to have to talk. They
            were asking questions one another to help each other on what to write or
            talk. All of them were engaged in trying to understand and
            participate.... They're command of the language is basic so they asked
            for help. I'm sure that next time is going to be more active and they
            will feel more confident.

            My students are working on a semester project where they have to select
            a country they like and research about different topics related to the
            lessons in their book. We use the New Interchange program as syllabus
            for our classes. They also have to find a tutor from the country they
            selected to get info from someone in that coutry so their experiences
            are meaningful and fun.. Sus volunteer ed to be their tutor and had the
            chance to meet them through YM, las thursday's experience was their
            first group contact with Sus and were very happy. After they finish
            their research they are supposed to present their findings at a Cultural
            fair.

            Bee and Buth (skype) had also helped my students in little chats where
            they asked some questions about their countries and culture. Special
            thanks to them, too.

            Well, thanks again my dear Webheads for being here for all us!

            Keep on shining!

            Doris3m

          • Carla arena
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
              Dear Doris,

              It seems that you had a wonderful experience! If you need any help, please
              be in touch.

              Carla

              On 7/2/06, Doris Molero <dorismolero@...> wrote:

              > Dear Sus and Anne!
              >
              > Thanks so much for giving my students the chance to have this great
              > experience at our session in Learning Times. At the beginning they were
              > a little scared and they didn't want to speak. I have to say that this
              > was their first experience using a virtual room. they are familiar with
              > the use of chat but it was a surprise for them to have to talk. They
              > were asking questions one another to help each other on what to write or
              > talk. All of them were engaged in trying to understand and
              > participate.... They're command of the language is basic so they asked
              > for help. I'm sure that next time is going to be more active and they
              > will feel more confident.
              >
              > My students are working on a semester project where they have to select
              > a country they like and research about different topics related to the
              > lessons in their book. We use the New Interchange program as syllabus
              > for our classes. They also have to find a tutor from the country they
              > selected to get info from someone in that coutry so their experiences
              > are meaningful and fun.. Sus volunteer ed to be their tutor and had the
              > chance to meet them through YM, las thursday's experience was their
              > first group contact with Sus and were very happy. After they finish
              > their research they are supposed to present their findings at a Cultural
              > fair.
              >
              > Bee and Buth (skype) had also helped my students in little chats where
              > they asked some questions about their countries and culture. Special
              > thanks to them, too.
              >
              > Well, thanks again my dear Webheads for being here for all us!
              >
              > Keep on shining!
              >
              > Doris3m

            • Dennis Newson
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
                I haven't got a class to share, but if ever I can be of any help as a person
                to talk to, to ask questions or put questions to etc. don't hesitate to ask.

                Dennis - best contacted first by email :-)

              • Doris Molero
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
                  Hi, Carla and Dennis! Thanks so much for your comments and your offer to
                  help my classes. We haven't met yet but this a good way to start. I'm
                  adding your names to my list of webheads and hope we ca get together
                  sometime.

                  What I do when I go to the lab to show how to use chat to learn English,
                  is to invite fellow webheads to talk to my students. Students find this
                  really exciting.

                  Have a good trip Rita and give Sus a big hug for me, please!
                  Well, once more, thanks, thanks so much for being there.

                  Keep on shining!

                  Doris3m