Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Recording Skype audio

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 5, 2006
      Teresa, Thanks for an answer swift as lightning!

      I'll give it try and report back.

      Dennis

      --

      Dennis Newson (retired)
      University Osnabrück

    • David Winet
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 5, 2006
        I've had good luck with Freecorder whereas Hotrecorder hasn't always
        worked for me. I think it costs about $20 though... Try Audacity first :)
      • Rita Zeinstejer
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 5, 2006
          Hi, Dennis,

          As usual, our dear audio friend Michael C. has come up with a great option..., I've used Powergramo and it works perfectly with Skype!

          Cheers all,

          Rita

        • dnewson2001
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 5, 2006
            Eric,

            Thanks for your reply. Yahoo didn't deliver it to me, but I caught up
            with it with my offline reader (PG Offline).

            Dennis
          • Evelyn Izquierdo
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 6, 2006
              Dear colleagues:

              Do you know if it is possible to record a Yahoo chat with voice? I' m planning to have a Yahoo conference with my undergraduate students, and would like to keep the record. We had just been working with the written form. Is there any way to record the audio?

              I really appreciate your answer or any recommendation.

              Evelyn

              Evelyn Izquierdo
              Profesora de Inglés
              Escuela de Educación
              Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
              Universidad Central de Venezuela
              Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
              E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

            • FOCUS - INGLES EMPRESARIAL
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 6, 2006
                Fantastic recommendation Eric, what's more for the explanations the site
                has.

                Many thanks!

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 6, 2006
                    Tere:

                    Thank you so much for your prompt answer. I downloaded a free version of Audacity and I was exploring the menu, but still I don't understand the steps to follow. What am I supposed to do to record the YM conversation? Would you please help me? I'm a newbie in this. Sorry if I bother you with my questions.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 7, 2006
                      Hi, Evelyn!

                      Here's a simple tutorial that I created. HTH.

                      Hugs, Teresa

                      You can it here, if the links below are not activate.
                      http://64.71.48.37/teresadeca/school/fwe5-jun05.htm#23Jun05

                      Here is the "how to" on Audacity to explain how I used it to record the class voice chat with Aiden and Agata at Yahoo Messenger.
                      In advance:

                      a.. Download Audacity (I suggest that you open a specific folder for it);
                      b.. Download the lame mp3 encoder (into the same folder) so that you can convert the audio files to .MP3;
                      c.. Read Recording a Podcast to give you a great overview of the simple recording process and the configurations (most come by default);
                      d.. If you still need extra help, take a look at Features, Screenshots, Tutorial and FAQ.
                      During the session:

                      a.. Open Yahoo Messenger and start a one-on-one chat or conference with your guest(s);
                      b.. Activate Voice and check the audio;
                      c.. Open Audacity;
                      d.. When everything is set to start the recording, click the pink Record button in Audacity and start talking;
                      e.. When the session comes to an end, click the yellow Stop button;
                      f.. Save your file
                      a.. Click File > Export as MP3 (takes up much less disk space)
                      b.. Click OK in the "Edit the ID3 tags for the MP3 file" window; OR,
                      c.. Click File > Export as WAV (takes up more disk space than mp3); OR,
                      d.. Click File > Save Project (allows for editing).
                      After the session:

                      If you save the file as Project, you can edit/make changes to it: trim, silence, tone, amplify, echo... However, you will also need to save it as .mp3 or .wav to make it audible, because "the Audacity Project format is not currently compatible with any other audio programs" (Audacity Help).