Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Thanks!

  • vstevens@emirates.net.ae
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2006
      Lovely work, I enjoyed reading Carla's blog and seeing the happily
      engaged faces.

      I'm here though I don't find time to write much these days. Every
      minute is taken it seems. I take my laptop on long car journeys.
      That's so I can edit papers from the WiAOC convergence. These will be
      published in Teaching English with Technology shortly. I've been
      doing conference presentations as you know and I think I'll try my
      hand at podcasting future ones, like Stephen Downes does. I've been
      doing a lot of podCATCHING lately, listening to Stephen at
      http://downes.ca and Worldbridges http://www.worldbridges.com . Any
      other suggestions for good listens?

      Worldbridges has been doing phenomenal work for us lately. Jeff Lebow
      is working with people at the Webcastacademy,
      http://www.webcastacademy.net . The Festoon recordings are really
      amazing. If you haven't checked out http://www.webheadsinaction.org
      yet be sure and do that, a good example of a Drupal in action as
      well. On the student side, http://eflbridges.com . Perhaps the
      bloggers could get their students interested in that one.

      Some old webheads students have been writing at
      http://moodle4webheads.pbwiki.com/LanguageStudents ; e.g. Antonio and
      Ying Lan. Ying Lan has had a near-setback and writes about it
      elequently. She was at http://www.tappedin.org last night and said
      she'd appreciate any comments. The wiki password is participant.

      And what else? I enjoyed reading about the APPI event and viewing the
      interesting recordings, and linked them here:

      Things are looking down in the UAE starting next semester. New
      management has hit the PI and the program in which I teach will be
      faced with as much as double teaching-loads. Obviously something has
      to give under such conditions, and the management does not seem to
      acknowledge that professional development (or even time to think
      creatively, develop a curriculum, etc) has anything to do with that
      equation. To add to these doldrums, I found last night in trying to
      answer one of Lee Baber's questions that Frappr has been added to the
      UAE's list of Web 2.0 sites targeted for blockage. It seems they do
      not like sites where photos can be shared freely. Skype is threatened
      here as well (though still working) and the atmosphere is not good.
      So if I appear to be withdrawn a bit please understand the conditions
      in which I am finding things just now.

      Oh well, things could change,

      Best to all,