Re: Blogger Puzzled- Aiden, you saved the day!

  • sharonholdner
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2006
      Hello Aiden,

      Thanks so much! It was like magic!

      BTW, I turned this into a project for the students. I'm not going to
      tell them that my colleague was able to help me in an instant. It
      will be interesting to see what they come up with as an answer.

      Blogging is voluntary activity in this class and the premise is to
      learn through discovery. All of the teams blogs were created without
      any input from me. Of course I am delighted that they are exploring
      this medium voluntarily and it was my hope that they would pick up my
      lead :-)

      Kindly,

      Sharon

      > Hello Sharon,
      >
      > Go to this link http://www.blogger.com/language.g and change your
      > language settings. If you're seeing the words in Chinese, select the
      > first one, that would be English :-)
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > aiden

    • sharonholdner
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2006
        Hi Bee,

        Yes, I am using Blogger. I'm glad to see that it's something in the
        software as opposed to something "in my head" that affected this
        global blog change.

        Word Press has been on my list for some time. I've just been waiting
        until I become more technology savvy, but maybe this little espisode
        will provoke me into getting up-to-speed.

        Thanks:-)

        Sharon
      • sharonholdner
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2006
          Dear Carla and all,

          The students are just beginning to post on the blogs and I believe
          that one team (United Asians)has possibilities to become prolific in
          the blogging world. We'll see ;-) Oh, they're so smart and so
          motivated. I love it.

          My approach to this was to expose them blogging as an intro to
          technology. In many of the B grad schools they are required to
          maintain blogs and to post responses to discussion questions every
          week. My students voluntarily created their blogs and informed me of
          each blog's existence.

          This is a fabulous opportunity for "just in time teaching" as I had
          hoped it would be. The next step is for one of the teams to teach the
          other teams how to change the template.

          This is working out very well because the only pressure on the
          students to learn the technology is coming from the competitors, the
          other learning teams.

          Here is the addy of the "mother blog" w links to the student's blogs
          on the right sidebar. http://efacademic.blogspot.com/

          BTW, there is a critical thinking puzzle link on the blog that some of
          you may enjoy using with your students.

          Next week we will be start reading "The Tipping Point." We'll be
          blogging and discussing our reflections. If anyone is interested in
          observing and/or participating in the process, please let me know and
          we'd be delighted to have you join us on the listserve.

          Here's the Baaah-stunn hug (((())))

          Sharon

          > Dear Sharon,
          >
          > I have no idea how to fix the problem, but would love to read your
          students'
          > blog when the it is all back to normal!
        • erika alves
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2006
            Hi Sharon
            Congratulations! Your students' blog looks so interesting! Are they the ones in the slide show photos? The blog is so big and the students are so specail! They come from so many different cultures, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey etc. I bet you are also learning a lot from them! Let me know if I can contribute somehow and if you would like your cyber friends to interact with your students.

            BTW, my students recorded new voice messages about their pets and I will post them in our audioblog tomorrow. I have already posted some of their pets' pictures and sentences there, but it is not ready.

            My students and I made a big mess in Holling's frappr map! Sorry! I got a little confused, so some students did not join frappr. A student called Adriana, whose dog is Bebel, included the photos of all other pets as if they belonged to her. There is one dog, a Lhasa Apso, that has two pictures in the slide show. One was placed by his owner, Gustavo, and the other one by Adriana (Bebel). We have to delet one, but I don't know how to do it! Sorry, sorry, sorry! But the slide show is really cute. Maybe you could put the slide show at the top of Holling's blog just like you did with your students' blog.

            I still have not gotten some of the pictures from my students, but there will be new ones soon!

            I know you must be too busy, so don't worry about all this!

            Warmly
            Erika Cruvinel

            sharonholdner <holdners@...> wrote:
            Hi all,

            I started blogging with my students last week and all was well until
            they created three team blogs. All blogs were created on computers
            with Chinese language operating systems.

            When I posted to their blogs in English and then went back to the
            class blog, all of the admn tasks are now listed in Chinese.
            Incidentally this carried over to all of the other blogs that I maintain.

            Is my login now associated with admin tasks performed in Chinese?

            If anyone can tell me how to change this, I'd heave a big sigh of relief.

            Thanks very much.

            Kindly,
            Sharon

          • Aiden Yeh