Blogger Puzzled- I can't understand Chinese

  • sharonholdner
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2006
      Hi all,

      I started blogging with my students last week and all was well until
      they created three team blogs. All blogs were created on computers
      with Chinese language operating systems.

      When I posted to their blogs in English and then went back to the
      class blog, all of the admn tasks are now listed in Chinese.
      Incidentally this carried over to all of the other blogs that I maintain.

      Is my login now associated with admin tasks performed in Chinese?

      If anyone can tell me how to change this, I'd heave a big sigh of relief.

      Thanks very much.

      Kindly,
      Sharon
    • Carla arena
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2006
        Dear Sharon,

        I have no idea how to fix the problem, but would love to read your students'
        blog when the it is all back to normal!

        I've been following Erika's podomatic
        <http://erikacruvinel.podomatic.com>and your story and Holling's! I
        just love the interaction and Erika's
        students are really into learning more because of you!

        Carla Arena

        On 5/3/06, sharonholdner <holdners@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I started blogging with my students last week and all was well until
        > they created three team blogs. All blogs were created on computers
        > with Chinese language operating systems.
        >
        > When I posted to their blogs in English and then went back to the
        > class blog, all of the admn tasks are now listed in Chinese.
        > Incidentally this carried over to all of the other blogs that I maintain.
        >
        > Is my login now associated with admin tasks performed in Chinese?
        >
        > If anyone can tell me how to change this, I'd heave a big sigh of relief.
        >
        > Thanks very much.
        >
        > Kindly,
        > Sharon
        >

        > For more information:

      • Barbara Dieu
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2006
          Hello Sharon,
          Are you using Blogger.com?
          I have the same problem here in Brazil and this is really irritating
          because all the instructions on how to set it up that our stds could be
          reading in English are now in Portuguese.

          As did not know how to change it, I just switched to Wordpress
          (http://www.wordpress.com ).

          Warm regards from Brazil,
          Bee

          Barbara Dieu
          http://dekita.org
          http://bdieu.wordpress.com
        • Aiden Yeh
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2006
            Hello Sharon,

            Go to this link http://www.blogger.com/language.g and change your
            language settings. If you're seeing the words in Chinese, select the
            first one, that would be English :-)

            Cheers,

            aiden
          • Chrissan
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2006
              Well Sharon, what about learning another language......;-) Sorry, I
              can't offer you any help but I giggled a bit when reading your
              message....
              Hia (hugs in abundance)
              /Chrissan

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "sharonholdner"
              <holdners@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > I started blogging with my students last week and all was well until
              > they created three team blogs. All blogs were created on computers
              > with Chinese language operating systems.
              >
              > When I posted to their blogs in English and then went back to the
              > class blog, all of the admn tasks are now listed in Chinese.
              > Incidentally this carried over to all of the other blogs that I
              maintain.

              > Is my login now associated with admin tasks performed in Chinese?
              >
              > If anyone can tell me how to change this, I'd heave a big sigh of
              relief.

              > Thanks very much.
              >
              > Kindly,
              > Sharon

            • sharonholdner
              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                Dear Chrissan,

                The students were absolutely hysterical when they heard that this
                happened. LOL Actually, I thought it was pretty funny too until I
                realized that all of my blogs had taken on a new look;)

                HIABAY - aha, can you figure that one out?

                Sharon
              • sharonholdner
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                  Hello Aiden,

                  Thanks so much! It was like magic!

                  BTW, I turned this into a project for the students. I'm not going to
                  tell them that my colleague was able to help me in an instant. It
                  will be interesting to see what they come up with as an answer.

                  Blogging is voluntary activity in this class and the premise is to
                  learn through discovery. All of the teams blogs were created without
                  any input from me. Of course I am delighted that they are exploring
                  this medium voluntarily and it was my hope that they would pick up my
                  lead :-)

                  Kindly,

                  Sharon

                  > Hello Sharon,
                  >
                  > Go to this link http://www.blogger.com/language.g and change your
                  > language settings. If you're seeing the words in Chinese, select the
                  > first one, that would be English :-)
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > aiden

                • sharonholdner
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                    Hi Bee,

                    Yes, I am using Blogger. I'm glad to see that it's something in the
                    software as opposed to something "in my head" that affected this
                    global blog change.

                    Word Press has been on my list for some time. I've just been waiting
                    until I become more technology savvy, but maybe this little espisode
                    will provoke me into getting up-to-speed.

                    Thanks:-)

                    Sharon
                  • sharonholdner
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                      Dear Carla and all,

                      The students are just beginning to post on the blogs and I believe
                      that one team (United Asians)has possibilities to become prolific in
                      the blogging world. We'll see ;-) Oh, they're so smart and so
                      motivated. I love it.

                      My approach to this was to expose them blogging as an intro to
                      technology. In many of the B grad schools they are required to
                      maintain blogs and to post responses to discussion questions every
                      week. My students voluntarily created their blogs and informed me of
                      each blog's existence.

                      This is a fabulous opportunity for "just in time teaching" as I had
                      hoped it would be. The next step is for one of the teams to teach the
                      other teams how to change the template.

                      This is working out very well because the only pressure on the
                      students to learn the technology is coming from the competitors, the
                      other learning teams.

                      Here is the addy of the "mother blog" w links to the student's blogs
                      on the right sidebar. http://efacademic.blogspot.com/

                      BTW, there is a critical thinking puzzle link on the blog that some of
                      you may enjoy using with your students.

                      Next week we will be start reading "The Tipping Point." We'll be
                      blogging and discussing our reflections. If anyone is interested in
                      observing and/or participating in the process, please let me know and
                      we'd be delighted to have you join us on the listserve.

                      Here's the Baaah-stunn hug (((())))

                      Sharon

                      > Dear Sharon,
                      >
                      > I have no idea how to fix the problem, but would love to read your
                      students'
                      > blog when the it is all back to normal!
                    • erika alves
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 3, 2006
                        Hi Sharon
                        Congratulations! Your students' blog looks so interesting! Are they the ones in the slide show photos? The blog is so big and the students are so specail! They come from so many different cultures, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey etc. I bet you are also learning a lot from them! Let me know if I can contribute somehow and if you would like your cyber friends to interact with your students.

                        BTW, my students recorded new voice messages about their pets and I will post them in our audioblog tomorrow. I have already posted some of their pets' pictures and sentences there, but it is not ready.

                        My students and I made a big mess in Holling's frappr map! Sorry! I got a little confused, so some students did not join frappr. A student called Adriana, whose dog is Bebel, included the photos of all other pets as if they belonged to her. There is one dog, a Lhasa Apso, that has two pictures in the slide show. One was placed by his owner, Gustavo, and the other one by Adriana (Bebel). We have to delet one, but I don't know how to do it! Sorry, sorry, sorry! But the slide show is really cute. Maybe you could put the slide show at the top of Holling's blog just like you did with your students' blog.

                        I still have not gotten some of the pictures from my students, but there will be new ones soon!

                        I know you must be too busy, so don't worry about all this!

                        Warmly
                        Erika Cruvinel