Re: [evonline2002_webheads] geocities webpages

  • raedithr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 2 9:57 AM
      Dear all,
      I created a poll using poll host. I used the HTML porvided to place it into a blog, but would also like to place it into a geocities free website. I don't see a way to easily get to the HTML coding as I did for the blog. Anyone know if inserting the HTML codes is possible?
      Rae
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2 10:03 AM
        1) I have a question about podomatic. I have been able to import an mp3 from audacity into it sucessfully, but have not been able to get it to record voice or video. Each time I click on record, I get a "connecting" for a few seconds and then it cuts off. Any suggestions?

        2) Aiden,
        I looked at your wonderful podomatic. How did you go about embedding what seems to be a powerpoint into the podomatic page?

        Rae

        >Is it possible for the students to place their photostory directly into
        >their blogs or do I need to find a place to host the photostories first and
        >then they link to them?

        Rae, the story you heard was uploaded to my own server. I believe all will
        depend on the blog service you are using but normally I do not think you can
        host such a heavy file on a free service.

        I think you can however upload it to podomatic (http://www.podomatic.com)
        like Aiden did here
        http://summerschool.podomatic.com/entry/2006-01-07T06_16_06-08_00
        or to Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com) and then embed it in your blog. (Very
        easy, they provide the html code snipet to be placed in the blog). See an
        example here:
        http://beewebhead.blogspot.com/2006/03/vimeo.html
        Bubbleshare is another way of building, sharing a digital story:
        http://www.bubbleshare.com/upload
        A nice informative video project can also be uploaded to
        http://www.archive.org/details/opensource_movies

        Hope this helps and looking forward to watching your story!
        Bee

        Barbara Dieu
        http://dekita.org
        http://bdieu.wordpress.com/about

        When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous
        text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and
        any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • cristina costa
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 2 1:29 PM
          Have you downloaded PodAmigo?
          Sometimes it works better if you work from it.
          hope it helps
          cris

          raedithr@... wrote: 1) I have a question about podomatic. I have been able to import an mp3 from audacity into it sucessfully, but have not been able to get it to record voice or video. Each time I click on record, I get a "connecting" for a few seconds and then it cuts off. Any suggestions?

          My Blog & Site

        • cristina costa
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2 1:34 PM
            Are you using frontpage to create your website?
            If so, go to insert
            web Component
            Advance control
            HTML

            Copy the code into the box that appears on the screen after activating that.
            My frontpage menus are in Portuguese. TH e commands might have a slight diff name.
            cris

            My Blog & Site

          • Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2 6:42 PM
              Dear Rae--
              This is why blogs are easier than Webpages! I've had
              some success in adding this kind of HTML to my
              Webpages at
              http://www.geocities.com/ehansonsmi/
              (Scroll to the bottom of the page to see some
              experiments.)

              However, you do need to use the Page Editor and be
              somewhat familiar with the conventions of HTML to get
              it all to work properly.

              I like to put things like this into tables so that
              they are easy to find in the editor. (And they look
              better on the page when the table is centered.)

              You might try it with Mozilla Composer on your desktop
              (with Internet up and running) first, then copy and
              paste the whole page into your Geocities file online.

              --Elizabeth

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 2 7:27 PM
                Hi Rae,

                This is how I do it:

                1. In podomatic, open 'Post episode' http://www.podomatic.com/podcast/post
                2. Click, 'Import' audio (you can also import video)
                3. A new pop-up window will appear, locate your video file and upload. This takes time- depending on how big your file is.
                4. You could also send the video file to your podomatic email address address. Open podmail. open the email message that contains the video that you've uploaded earlier. Once you have it, click 'Podcast this',and your video will be published on your pod site.

                Using powerpoint

                I first convert my powerpoint file into video. To do this, you could either use Camtasia or Windows Movie Maker. But first, you need to save your powerpoint slides as jpegs. Here's a link on how to do this, http://tinyurl.com/qonz5

                To add the slides to Windows Movie Maker, here's a video tutorial from Microsoft, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/videos/create.mspx

                Using Camtasia

                Text below is lifted from http://www.camtasia.com/camtasia/education.asp

                "The PowerPoint add-in allows you to record and deliver lecture presentations, including slides, transitions, and video and audio of you, the presenter. But Camtasia Studio also lets you record Web pages, applications, or anything else on your screen, so you can easily blend different types of content into your presentation, without using multiple tools."

                Open your powerpoint file. Record using Camtasia while you project slides as if you're doing the actual presentation. You must have Camtasia button embedded into your powerpoint- this is automatically done when you download the software.

                I hope this helps, Rae. It's a bit complicated but doable- it just takes time and a lot pf practice.

                hugs,

                aiden
                p.s.

                I prefer recording voice/video offline then upload to podomatic. This way, I'm sure that my audio/video recording is safely saved. One second of internet connection failure could result to losing all the recording that you've done. This could be extremely frustrating and a total waste of time.

                raedithr@... wrote:
                1) I have a question about podomatic. I have been able to import an mp3 from audacity into it sucessfully, but have not been able to get it to record voice or video. Each time I click on record, I get a "connecting" for a few seconds and then it cuts off. Any suggestions?

                2) Aiden,
                I looked at your wonderful podomatic. How did you go about embedding what seems to be a powerpoint into the podomatic page?

                Rae

                >Is it possible for the students to place their photostory directly into
                >their blogs or do I need to find a place to host the photostories first and
                >then they link to them?

                Rae, the story you heard was uploaded to my own server. I believe all will
                depend on the blog service you are using but normally I do not think you can
                host such a heavy file on a free service.

                I think you can however upload it to podomatic (http://www.podomatic.com)
                like Aiden did here
                http://summerschool.podomatic.com/entry/2006-01-07T06_16_06-08_00
                or to Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com) and then embed it in your blog. (Very
                easy, they provide the html code snipet to be placed in the blog). See an
                example here:
                http://beewebhead.blogspot.com/2006/03/vimeo.html
                Bubbleshare is another way of building, sharing a digital story:
                http://www.bubbleshare.com/upload
                A nice informative video project can also be uploaded to
                http://www.archive.org/details/opensource_movies

                Hope this helps and looking forward to watching your story!
                Bee

                Barbara Dieu
                http://dekita.org
                http://bdieu.wordpress.com/about

                When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous
                text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and
                any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Distance learning education Accredited distance learning Distance learning Distance learning master degree Distance learning education online Distance learning schools

              • Aiden Yeh
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 2 7:37 PM
                  Rae,

                  1. Open your geocities account.
                  2. Click 'Creat and update'
                  3. Open 'File Manager'
                  4. Click 'New' (This means you will be creating a new webpage using Geocities HTML editor)
                  5. You should now be able to see this "Welcome to your HTML Editor. You can use this editor to code your own customized HTML. Use the "Preview" button to see how your page will appear on the Web. For HTML tips, visit the HTML Help"

                  6. Inside the box, you will see the following codes:

                  <head>
                  <title>Untitled</title>
                  </head>

                  7. Insert the HTML codes that you have for your poll after <body> code,

                  8. click 'Save and Continue'

                  Try it!

                  aiden

                  raedithr@... wrote:

                  Dear all,
                  I created a poll using poll host. I used the HTML porvided to place it into a blog, but would also like to place it into a geocities free website. I don't see a way to easily get to the HTML coding as I did for the blog. Anyone know if inserting the HTML codes is possible?
                  Rae
                  <snip>

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 2 8:07 PM
                    Thanks Chris, I'll try podamigo.
                    Rae

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 2 8:14 PM
                      Aiden,
                      Thank you so much for taking so much time to give me such a complete answer. I am really looking forward to spending my this evening after classes working on this new project. Thanks so much. Rae

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 2 8:17 PM
                        Aiden,
                        Thank you again. I will try it today.
                        Rae

                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 2 8:22 PM
                          Rae,

                          Goodluck- it looks like that you already have your hands full tonight ;-)

                          aiden

                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 2 8:22 PM
                            Elizabeth,
                            Thanks for the suggestion. I will check this out tonight. Rae

                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 2 8:45 PM
                              Hi Webheads,

                              A friend of mine( Almerinda) and I will be presenting some of the tools I've learned with Baw06 to trainee teachers in a college here in Brasilia.It will happen next Thursday,April 6th at 22:30GTM.There will about 40 people to attend the workshop.We'll try to have Skype.I also got in contact with people in charge of Alado and Learning Times.I'm thrilled with the idea of being a moderator with those great tools, but Dafne has kindly offered to help me and I'd love to count on you with them and the other tools.If it is not possible to be online , you can send a springdoo message.I'll let you know more about the details very soon.
                              Hugs and" beijinhos"
                              Isabel

                            • Dennis Newson
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 2 10:16 PM
                                Do keep as informed, Isabel. I'd love to be virtually present if possible.
                                Might it be an idea to use the Calendar function of Yahoogroups, with
                                reminder, so that we don't forget?

                                Dennis

                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 3 12:57 PM
                                  Hi, Isabel!

                                  You can count me. If you need any help, I'll be around.

                                  Hugs, Teresa