Re: [evonline2002_webheads] video/photos digital story telling

  • Barbara Dieu
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2006
      >Can I share these comments with my students and can I blog it, too?

      By all means, Aiden. It's your own students' work and they should know how
      it was appreciated all over the world!
      Thanks again for sharing it with us.
      Hugs from Brazil,
      Bee

      Barbara Dieu
      http://dekita.org
      http://bdieu.wordpress.com/about
    • raedithr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
        Dear all,
        I created a poll using poll host. I used the HTML porvided to place it into a blog, but would also like to place it into a geocities free website. I don't see a way to easily get to the HTML coding as I did for the blog. Anyone know if inserting the HTML codes is possible?
        Rae
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
          1) I have a question about podomatic. I have been able to import an mp3 from audacity into it sucessfully, but have not been able to get it to record voice or video. Each time I click on record, I get a "connecting" for a few seconds and then it cuts off. Any suggestions?

          2) Aiden,
          I looked at your wonderful podomatic. How did you go about embedding what seems to be a powerpoint into the podomatic page?

          Rae

          >Is it possible for the students to place their photostory directly into
          >their blogs or do I need to find a place to host the photostories first and
          >then they link to them?

          Rae, the story you heard was uploaded to my own server. I believe all will
          depend on the blog service you are using but normally I do not think you can
          host such a heavy file on a free service.

          I think you can however upload it to podomatic (http://www.podomatic.com)
          like Aiden did here
          http://summerschool.podomatic.com/entry/2006-01-07T06_16_06-08_00
          or to Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com) and then embed it in your blog. (Very
          easy, they provide the html code snipet to be placed in the blog). See an
          example here:
          http://beewebhead.blogspot.com/2006/03/vimeo.html
          Bubbleshare is another way of building, sharing a digital story:
          http://www.bubbleshare.com/upload
          A nice informative video project can also be uploaded to
          http://www.archive.org/details/opensource_movies

          Hope this helps and looking forward to watching your story!
          Bee

          Barbara Dieu
          http://dekita.org
          http://bdieu.wordpress.com/about

          When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous
          text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and
          any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • cristina costa
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
            Have you downloaded PodAmigo?
            Sometimes it works better if you work from it.
            hope it helps
            cris

            raedithr@... wrote: 1) I have a question about podomatic. I have been able to import an mp3 from audacity into it sucessfully, but have not been able to get it to record voice or video. Each time I click on record, I get a "connecting" for a few seconds and then it cuts off. Any suggestions?

            My Blog & Site

          • cristina costa
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
              Are you using frontpage to create your website?
              If so, go to insert
              web Component
              Advance control
              HTML

              Copy the code into the box that appears on the screen after activating that.
              My frontpage menus are in Portuguese. TH e commands might have a slight diff name.
              cris

              My Blog & Site

            • Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
                Dear Rae--
                This is why blogs are easier than Webpages! I've had
                some success in adding this kind of HTML to my
                Webpages at
                http://www.geocities.com/ehansonsmi/
                (Scroll to the bottom of the page to see some
                experiments.)

                However, you do need to use the Page Editor and be
                somewhat familiar with the conventions of HTML to get
                it all to work properly.

                I like to put things like this into tables so that
                they are easy to find in the editor. (And they look
                better on the page when the table is centered.)

                You might try it with Mozilla Composer on your desktop
                (with Internet up and running) first, then copy and
                paste the whole page into your Geocities file online.

                --Elizabeth

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
                  Hi Rae,

                  This is how I do it:

                  1. In podomatic, open 'Post episode' http://www.podomatic.com/podcast/post
                  2. Click, 'Import' audio (you can also import video)
                  3. A new pop-up window will appear, locate your video file and upload. This takes time- depending on how big your file is.
                  4. You could also send the video file to your podomatic email address address. Open podmail. open the email message that contains the video that you've uploaded earlier. Once you have it, click 'Podcast this',and your video will be published on your pod site.

                  Using powerpoint

                  I first convert my powerpoint file into video. To do this, you could either use Camtasia or Windows Movie Maker. But first, you need to save your powerpoint slides as jpegs. Here's a link on how to do this, http://tinyurl.com/qonz5

                  To add the slides to Windows Movie Maker, here's a video tutorial from Microsoft, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/videos/create.mspx

                  Using Camtasia

                  Text below is lifted from http://www.camtasia.com/camtasia/education.asp

                  "The PowerPoint add-in allows you to record and deliver lecture presentations, including slides, transitions, and video and audio of you, the presenter. But Camtasia Studio also lets you record Web pages, applications, or anything else on your screen, so you can easily blend different types of content into your presentation, without using multiple tools."

                  Open your powerpoint file. Record using Camtasia while you project slides as if you're doing the actual presentation. You must have Camtasia button embedded into your powerpoint- this is automatically done when you download the software.

                  I hope this helps, Rae. It's a bit complicated but doable- it just takes time and a lot pf practice.

                  hugs,

                  aiden
                  p.s.

                  I prefer recording voice/video offline then upload to podomatic. This way, I'm sure that my audio/video recording is safely saved. One second of internet connection failure could result to losing all the recording that you've done. This could be extremely frustrating and a total waste of time.

                  raedithr@... wrote:
                  1) I have a question about podomatic. I have been able to import an mp3 from audacity into it sucessfully, but have not been able to get it to record voice or video. Each time I click on record, I get a "connecting" for a few seconds and then it cuts off. Any suggestions?

                  2) Aiden,
                  I looked at your wonderful podomatic. How did you go about embedding what seems to be a powerpoint into the podomatic page?

                  Rae

                  >Is it possible for the students to place their photostory directly into
                  >their blogs or do I need to find a place to host the photostories first and
                  >then they link to them?

                  Rae, the story you heard was uploaded to my own server. I believe all will
                  depend on the blog service you are using but normally I do not think you can
                  host such a heavy file on a free service.

                  I think you can however upload it to podomatic (http://www.podomatic.com)
                  like Aiden did here
                  http://summerschool.podomatic.com/entry/2006-01-07T06_16_06-08_00
                  or to Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com) and then embed it in your blog. (Very
                  easy, they provide the html code snipet to be placed in the blog). See an
                  example here:
                  http://beewebhead.blogspot.com/2006/03/vimeo.html
                  Bubbleshare is another way of building, sharing a digital story:
                  http://www.bubbleshare.com/upload
                  A nice informative video project can also be uploaded to
                  http://www.archive.org/details/opensource_movies

                  Hope this helps and looking forward to watching your story!
                  Bee

                  Barbara Dieu
                  http://dekita.org
                  http://bdieu.wordpress.com/about

                  When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous
                  text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and
                  any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Distance learning education Accredited distance learning Distance learning Distance learning master degree Distance learning education online Distance learning schools

                • Aiden Yeh
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
                    Rae,

                    1. Open your geocities account.
                    2. Click 'Creat and update'
                    3. Open 'File Manager'
                    4. Click 'New' (This means you will be creating a new webpage using Geocities HTML editor)
                    5. You should now be able to see this "Welcome to your HTML Editor. You can use this editor to code your own customized HTML. Use the "Preview" button to see how your page will appear on the Web. For HTML tips, visit the HTML Help"

                    6. Inside the box, you will see the following codes:

                    <head>
                    <title>Untitled</title>
                    </head>

                    7. Insert the HTML codes that you have for your poll after <body> code,

                    8. click 'Save and Continue'

                    Try it!

                    aiden

                    raedithr@... wrote:

                    Dear all,
                    I created a poll using poll host. I used the HTML porvided to place it into a blog, but would also like to place it into a geocities free website. I don't see a way to easily get to the HTML coding as I did for the blog. Anyone know if inserting the HTML codes is possible?
                    Rae
                    <snip>

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
                      Thanks Chris, I'll try podamigo.
                      Rae

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
                        Aiden,
                        Thank you so much for taking so much time to give me such a complete answer. I am really looking forward to spending my this evening after classes working on this new project. Thanks so much. Rae

                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
                          Aiden,
                          Thank you again. I will try it today.
                          Rae

                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
                            Rae,

                            Goodluck- it looks like that you already have your hands full tonight ;-)

                            aiden

                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
                              Elizabeth,
                              Thanks for the suggestion. I will check this out tonight. Rae

                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
                                Hi Webheads,

                                A friend of mine( Almerinda) and I will be presenting some of the tools I've learned with Baw06 to trainee teachers in a college here in Brasilia.It will happen next Thursday,April 6th at 22:30GTM.There will about 40 people to attend the workshop.We'll try to have Skype.I also got in contact with people in charge of Alado and Learning Times.I'm thrilled with the idea of being a moderator with those great tools, but Dafne has kindly offered to help me and I'd love to count on you with them and the other tools.If it is not possible to be online , you can send a springdoo message.I'll let you know more about the details very soon.
                                Hugs and" beijinhos"
                                Isabel

                              • Dennis Newson
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 2, 2006
                                  Do keep as informed, Isabel. I'd love to be virtually present if possible.
                                  Might it be an idea to use the Calendar function of Yahoogroups, with
                                  reminder, so that we don't forget?

                                  Dennis

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 3, 2006
                                    Hi, Isabel!

                                    You can count me. If you need any help, I'll be around.

                                    Hugs, Teresa