Reading online

  • ehansonsmi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 11, 2002
      Hi all--
      I am working on how adult learners read online and if there is any difference between that and how they read off-line.
      I realize that's a pretty vague research question, but does anyone have some tips on where to research such ideas?
      Thanks--Elizabeth H-S
    • BJ Berquist
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12, 2002
        Hi, Elizabeth,
        You might take a look at LINCS at http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/

        BJ

        ehansonsmi@... wrote:

        > Hi all--
        > I am working on how adult learners read online and if there is any difference between that and how they read off-line.
        > I realize that's a pretty vague research question, but does anyone have some tips on where to research such ideas?
        > Thanks--Elizabeth H-S

        > For more information:
        > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
        >
        > Syllabus:
        > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.htm

      • Christopher Johnson
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2002
          Hi Elizabeth,

          Jakob Nielsen claims that users (adults included) tend to scan information online, rather than read it. His book on Web
          usabilty is really good.

          Chris

          Nielsen, J. (2000) Designing Web Usability: the Practice of Simplicity. Indianapolis IN: New Riders.

          evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com wrote:

> [...]
          > 4. Reading online
          > From: ehansonsmi@...
          > 5. Mother's Day
          > From: "Maria Albers de Urriola" <miaupju@...>

          > Message: 1
          > Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 16:46:11 +0400
          > From: Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>
          > Subject: Re: Re: On line movie reviews?
          >
          > thanks,
          >
          > I've visited the sites and added these to
          > http://www.vancestevens.com/video.htm
          >
          > Vance
          >
          > Rita Zeinstejer wrote:
          >
          > > Hi, Nigel
          > > I´ve just come across these sites, which you may find useful:
          > >
          > > http://www.filmvalues.com/
          > >
          > > http://www.gradingthemovies.com/
          > >
          > > http://www.moviemom.com/
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > > Rita

          > > For more information:
          > > http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
          > > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
          > >
          > > Syllabus:
          > > http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.htm
          > > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.htm

          > Message: 2
          > Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 22:42:23 +0400
          > From: Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>
          > Subject: I might be late to Sunday noon chat
          >
          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I plan to be in Dubai Sunday noon GMT May 12 at a conference on
          > elearning. There is a break around 13:00 GMT. I hope to be able to get
          > up to my room and join you online. If I'm delayed, hope you'll
          > understand.
          >
          > Vance

          > Message: 3
          > Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 18:51:36 -0000
          > From: "dygonza" <dygonza@...>
          > Subject: Online resource
          >
          > Hi Webheads, I received a message on the NETEACH-L about this site:
          >
          > ESL MiniConference Online ( http://www.ESLminiconf.net ).Do not miss
          > it! Nigel, you will find some position papers about the use of
          > Shakespeare in ESL. I found a link to ERIC/CLL Resource Guides
          > Online, and there is a very good one: Creating Web-Based Language
          > Learning Activities. You can find it here:
          > http://www.cal.org/ericcll/faqs/RGOs/webcall.html
          >
          > cheers,
          > Daf

          > Message: 4
          > Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 19:57:55 -0400
          > From: ehansonsmi@...
          > Subject: Reading online
          >
          > Hi all--
          > I am working on how adult learners read online and if there is any difference between that and how they read off-line.
          > I realize that's a pretty vague research question, but does anyone have some tips on where to research such ideas?
          > Thanks--Elizabeth H-S

          > Message: 5
          > Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 22:35:57 -0400
          > From: "Maria Albers de Urriola" <miaupju@...>
          > Subject: Mother's Day
          >
          > To all Moms and Grannies in the group, all the best and a very nice day.

        • foxdenuk
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2002
            --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., ehansonsmi@a... wrote:
            > Hi all--
            > I am working on how adult learners read online and if there is any
            difference between that and how they read off-line.
            > I realize that's a pretty vague research question, but does anyone
            have some tips on where to research such ideas?
            > Thanks--Elizabeth H-S

            The record of this conference might help http://www.text-
            e.org/index.cfm?switchLang=Eng&

            text-e, the first entirely virtual symposium dedicated to
            investigating the impact of the Web on reading, writing and the
            diffusion of knowledge. The symposium took place from October 15th
            2001 until the end of March 2002. On this site you can find the ten
            texts commissioned for and discussed on text-e as well as the
            archived debates around each one of these texts.Text-e was the first
            virtual symposium and it was a very fruitful experience. This site is
            the record of the event.

            Regards
            Anne