Webcasting from SQU in Oman

  • vstevens@emirates.net.ae
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2006
      I guess i'll answer this publicly, since whether we can webcast or not
      from SQU in Oman is in doubt. Test are showing that their firewall
      blocks chat packets and they can't reach any of our synchronous sites,
      Tapped In, Elluminate (via Learning Times), or Talking Communities
      (Alado).

      This is due to policies imposed on students which has repercussions on
      staff and their professional development, and their ability to mount
      serious international conferences from there in a Web 2.0 world. I
      think I have found someone there who will promote the case for relief
      in the firewall for the days we will be there.

      But it remains to be seen what will happen by mid-April. I'll keep
      everyone informed.

      I have observed in the UAE that these attitudes were prevalent here
      when I started working here ten years ago, but that there has been
      much alleviation of the situation as it became understood that
      restrictions on internet access are self-defeating.

      Although Oman has not yet reached that point, it is international
      events such as this that raise awareness of how internet should be
      used and force re-examination of policies in place, and I think
      therefore that we act as change-agents in a healthy development
      process.

      more later,

      From: Eric Baber <Eric@...>
      Date: Monday, March 27, 2006 0:19 am