Time converter

  • mackichan2006
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2006
      Hi all,

      I find dealing with timezones difficult but I don't really like
      sending people to another site, like timeanddate.com, so that they can
      work out when an online meeting is.

      So, I am using a simple snippet of javascript in a web page that
      should automatically show the time in the viewers own time zone. I
      have tested it out on a number of computers, but would appreciate it
      if a few people could take a look to see if it is working as expected
      - different operating systems or different versions of operating
      systems might cause bugs (but hopefully not). Of course this will not
      work if your computer is set to the wrong time zone :-)

      If it works OK I will put it up on my website together with instructions.

      The link is http://www.e-lang.co.uk/call/weblog/

      Many thanks

      Pete
    • Eric Baber
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 27, 2006
        Hi Pete,

        Yes, this does work, but it does depend on the user having set their
        time-zone correctly on their computer, which many haven't. In my experience
        there are plenty of people out there who leave the time-zone alone and just
        adjust their clock; fine for day-to-day work for them, but it scuppers any
        plans of the type you're trying to make.

        Sorry that that's not particularly positive!

        Eric
      • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 27, 2006
          Pete,

          have you tried the Fixed Time Converter of the WorldClock? You can set
          it up for any source location and it will show times in all time zones.
          I used that to show the time for the Web Casts from TESOL. It gave me
          what I needed.

          http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedform.html

          Christine
          Christine Bauer-Ramazani

          I find dealing with timezones difficult but I don't really like
          sending people to another site, like timeanddate.com, so that they can
          work out when an online meeting is.

          So, I am using a simple snippet of javascript in a web page that
          should automatically show the time in the viewers own time zone. I
          have tested it out on a number of computers, but would appreciate it
          if a few people could take a look to see if it is working as expected
          - different operating systems or different versions of operating
          systems might cause bugs (but hopefully not). Of course this will not
          work if your computer is set to the wrong time zone :-)

          If it works OK I will put it up on my website together with
          instructions.

          The link is http://www.e-lang.co.uk/call/weblog/

          Many thanks

          Pete

          extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
          delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
          Thanks!!

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "evonline2002_webheads
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads> " on the web.

          cribe>

          _____

        • CJones
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 27, 2006
            Hi, Pete,

            Your test page shows my time as 59 MS for all three times you have
            given. Possibly this is because I have Windows 98, but I have IE 6. I
            just checked it in Firefox, and it shows up correctly.

            IE:
            Appointment 1
            The meeting takes place at 3:00: GMT on Thu pr 6 . According to the
            current time zone setting on your computer, this is 59 MS local time
            on Thu Apr 6 1.

            Appointment 2
            The meeting takes place at 2:00: GMT on Fri pr 7 . According to the
            current time zone setting on your computer, this is 59 MS local time
            on Thu Apr 6 1.

            Appointment 3
            The meeting takes place at 7:30: GMT on Sat pr 8 . According to the
            current time zone setting on your computer, this is 59 MS local time
            on Sat Apr 8 0.

            Chris Jones

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "mackichan2006"
            <pete2006@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I find dealing with timezones difficult but I don't really like
            > sending people to another site, like timeanddate.com, so that they
            can
            > work out when an online meeting is.
            >
            > So, I am using a simple snippet of javascript in a web page that
            > should automatically show the time in the viewers own time zone. I
            > have tested it out on a number of computers, but would appreciate it
            > if a few people could take a look to see if it is working as
            expected
            > - different operating systems or different versions of operating
            > systems might cause bugs (but hopefully not). Of course this will
            not
            > work if your computer is set to the wrong time zone :-)
            >
            > If it works OK I will put it up on my website together with
            instructions.

            > The link is http://www.e-lang.co.uk/call/weblog/
            >
            > Many thanks
            >
            > Pete

          • mackichan2006
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 11, 2006
              Hi All,

              Very many thanks to all those who sent suggestions and feedback.

              It seems there are a lot of problems with trying to set up a simple
              script to convert times, one of which is that different computers
              appear to store dates in slightly different ways.

              Thanks to the feedback I recieved I think I may have fixed the
              problems I had earlier. I would appreciate it if a few webheads could
              take the time to have a look at
              http://www.e-lang.co.uk/mackichan/javascript/timer.html
              and see if it is now working OK? Please use the Report button to send
              feedback.

              Many thanks,

              Pete