Re: blogs and pictures

  • vidaypaz
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hello all. First let me brieflyy introduce myself. My name is James
      Bakker and I'm in the process of "graduating" from two years with the
      BaW group to the "full-fledged" WIA group. I recently completedd my
      MA in TESOL and am looking for jobs in my area. I had taught EFL to
      high school students in Bolivia for about 10 years as a missionary
      befoere returning to the US to persue my degree. Anyway, I'm here to
      learn and contribute my small part to somehow effect a little mutual
      edificatiion and community building.

      Re blogs and pictures: I think most people conveniently post their
      photos on some separate website (like geocities) that can be easily
      referenced as one respondant showed. When I made my first wiki, I
      found it even more convenient to upload the several photos I used
      into an "uploaded files" space on that same wiki server. I don't know
      if it loads any faster, but it was very easy to copy and paste the
      link from a nearby page. You can check out my wiki at
      http://eltpoetry.pbwiki.com

      the main site is at http://pbwiki.com

      James
    • Carla arena
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 1, 2006
        Following James' steps, here I am after baW-06 Graduation, really excited to
        be part of this fantastic group of very special people! I am Carla Arena. I
        teach at a Binational Center, Casa Thomas Jefferson, in Brasilia, Brazil. I
        am responsible for the computer lab and the content of our school's webpage
        www.thomas.org.br . I am always eager and excited about learning new
        technological applications for the classroom through this wonderful
        community of educators who are online and always there to help us.

        Besides baW, which was my ultimate goal after meeting some Webheads in San
        Antonio last year, I took the PP TESOL Online Teaching Certificate and
        managed to conclude it at the end of last year. It was an enriching
        experience that culminated with baW as I could try out different tools for
        diverse purposes.

        Well, here are some places where you can get to "visualize" me and know a
        little bit more about myself.

        http://baw-06.pbwiki.com/CarlaArena
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/43674804@N00/sets/72057594053568507/
        http://www.bubbleshare.com/album/15647.d2ec8c8d798
        http://internationalexchange.blogspot.com/2005_10_01_internationalexchange_archive.html
        -
        connection Brazil-the US

        I'm really glad to have gone through the process of being a baWer to a
        Webhead!

        Carla Arena - from Carnival time in Brazil

        On 3/1/06, vidaypaz <promos777@...> wrote:

        > Hello all. First let me brieflyy introduce myself. My name is James
        > Bakker and I'm in the process of "graduating" from two years with the
        > BaW group to the "full-fledged" WIA group.

      • Isabel Teixeira
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 1, 2006
          Hello,

          Just like some others have done, I also would like to say that I'm very happy to be part of this great group.I've learned so many new things that I just wonder if I'll be alive to use all of them!Well, my name is Isabel Teixeira.I'm from Brasilia,Brazil. I teach EFL in a public language center. I've been working with online collaborative projects since 2001.
          warmly,
          Isabel

        • Bruce Moon
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 1, 2006
            For those of you who do have access to Flickr, you might investigate a new
            browser, Flock. ( http://flock.com ) Flock integrates blogging, Flickr,
            Delicio.us, etc. You can enter all of your blogs into it, add your flickr
            account. Click on a quill icon on the toolbar, and you get a pull down menu
            of your recent blogs (should you want to edit them) and you also get a pull
            down for Maps, Shelf (add things you want to blog to it) and Flickr. I
            haven't tried the shelf or the Maps yet, but the Flickr bar enables you to
            just drag pictures down to the blog.
            The only drawback to this that I see is that your Flickr account only holds
            so many images before they disappear...I think the number is 200. I upload a
            lot of pictures so my blog post pictures may soon disappear..or will they?
            Flickr says the pictures don't get deleted....will my links still work and
            the pictures still be visible? Hmmm...I'm going to have to investigate the
            Flickr FAQ.
            Flock is a bit flaky; it's in the developer stage; it's not even Beta yet.
            It's based on FireFox, but there aren't as many extensions and plugins don't
            seem quite as friendly. For blogging, though, it's quite nice.
            Bruce
          • djn@dennisnewson.de
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 1, 2006
              Could someone possibly refer me to some basic tips on uploaidng, sending MP3 files?

              I made an MP3 (voice) files yesterday from a cassette with Audacity. Fine - 15 mins.
              approx. 13502736 bytes.

              Dropload didn't work, Sendit didn't work. In the end, I uploaded it to my homepage server
              and addresses will download from there.

              I need to do this quite often, though. What is a recommended procedure? I sometimes have
              smilar problems with jpeg files and WORD documents with embedded jpegs. I've a fast ,
              broadband connection - it ought to be fairly straighforward, surely?

              Frequently, too, I get a message from my server, 1und1 in Germany, saying such jpeg files
              can't be delivered. Pegasus, my email program therefore sends such files again...and again
              and I'm then contacted by friends thanking me for the 5 identical copies of my large jpeg
              files.

              All help and suggestions and references thankfully accepted.

              Dennis
            • Ajarn Paul
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 1, 2006
                Hi Dennis

                I don't quite know the exact nature of your problem, but some sites (like my
                university) block mp3 files and I can't upload or download them. If you use
                a compression program like winrar or winzip there should be no problem with
                uploading or downloading of such files. I have found the majority of files
                on servers hosting uploaded files are compressed. Compression also has the
                added advantage of reducing the file size so speeding up both upload and
                download (though the benefit will be negligible on already compressed files
                like mp3s and jpegs).

                Hope that helps.

                Paul

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Barbara Dieu
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 2, 2006
                  A warm welcome to Carla, Erika and Isabel, our 3 new Brazilian webheads from
                  Brasília. It is great to see you here and let's hope that together in the
                  new Braz-Tesol EduTech SIG about to be launched, we will start moving and
                  shaking our ELT community, encouraging others around us to integrate new
                  technologies in their classroom practice, join the Evo sessions and the
                  webhead community to meet other like-minded colleagues and develop
                  professionally.

                  BTW, on March 5th, this coming Sunday at 21:00 GMT, I will be hosting the
                  monthly Blogstreams Salon session at Tappedin. During this 1-hour session,
                  we will be looking more closely at some blogging projects I am participating
                  this year and sharing links and tools.

                  All are more than welcome!
                  Looking forward to seeing you there.
                  Cheers
                  Bee

                  Barbara Dieu
                  http://dekita.org
                  http://bee.suprglu.com
                • erika alves
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 2, 2006
                    Hello Bee
                    Thanks for the warm welcome! It is really our challenge to make other Brazilian teachers interested in technologies.

                    Sunday at 21:00 GMT at TI. I will be there for sure!
                    Erika

                    Barbara Dieu <bwjdieu@...> wrote:
[...]

                    Distance learning education Accredited distance learning Distance learning Distance learning master degree Distance learning education online Distance learning schools

                  • Aiden Yeh

                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 2, 2006
                        also ***hugs*** Carla and Erika :-)

                        welcome to webheads, girls ;-)

                        aiden

                        erika alves <erikacruvinel@...> wrote:
                        Hello Bee
                        Thanks for the warm welcome! It is really our challenge to make other Brazilian teachers interested in technologies.

                        Sunday at 21:00 GMT at TI. I will be there for sure!
                        Erika

                        <snip>

                      • Bruce Moon
                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 2, 2006
                          Dennis,
                          I think your file attachments are probably too large.
                          I'd say that your sampling rate was quite high. That makes for a large
                          file. Mail systems often have size limits on how big a file they will
                          accept; 5mb is not uncommon.
                          I assume it was a voice file. Go to Edit-Preferences and select the quality
                          tab. Try lowering it and see what you find is acceptable. You may be able to
                          go quite low with a voice file. It depends on what your listeners need to
                          hear and how good their ears are. 44k might be a good starting point. I have
                          mine set that low; I suspect the default is probably about 96k assuming that
                          you are doing music and want high fidelity.
                          You might also evaluate how long a file you need. Can it be broken up into
                          chunks? Fifteen minutes is a long time for someone to listen to something
                          non-stop. Breaking the work into smaller chunks might work better
                          pedagogically and get around the size problem.
                          For JPG's you can do something similar. With an editing program, you can
                          adjust the pixel dimensions as well as the quality. Surprisingly, a 50%
                          quality rating still presents a very viewable image. If you are sending
                          digital images from a late model high resolution camera, the images are way
                          larger than you need for viewing on the web and they also can choke an
                          e-mail system with size limits. A image that is 800 on one side can fill up
                          most screens. Unless you are sending an image to someone who wants to print
                          your pictures as posters, you can substantially reduce the size of the
                          picture.
                          Bruce
                        • Isabel Teixeira
                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 2, 2006
                            Thanks Aiden.
                            Isabel

                          • Isabel Teixeira
                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 2, 2006
                              Thanks Bee.It's nice to count on such a special person like you.I do hope more Brazilian teachers can also learn how to use tecnology in a meaningful way as we know how much potential we have here in Brazil

                              Warmly,
                              Isabel

                            • Dennis Newson
                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 3, 2006
                                Bruce. Thanks so much. I needed to know that. I solved the problem in the
                                end - I was trying to get a recording of an interview to a friend and
                                colleague - by uploading to my homepage's server and the file was collected
                                from there.

                                Dennis
                              • María Claudia Bellusci
                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 22, 2006
                                  Hello Webheads!!!
                                  I'm Claudia Bellusci, a teacher from Argentina. I did Becoming a Webhead and Collaborative Blogging this year and enjoyed both sessions immensely. I've been so busy with BaW06 and Blog06 lists that I almost forgot to join this group. That's why I'm doing it now, after almost a month of getting the invitation.
                                  I'd like to send a big hug to all my colleagues from those sessions who are also here and invite all of you to see my blog (born from Webheads' and Bloggers' encouragement) to learn a bit more about me. There's a map there where I'd like to have you all. The link is http://e-toys-ar.blogspot.com
                                  Thanks!
                                  Claudia