Invitation to join in either or both of two presentationsTue Feb 14 9 & 10 GMT

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 11, 2006
      This message has two parts.

      First, you are invited to join me oneline at http://tinyurl.com/y3eh
      on Tuesday February 14th when I present from a distance at the
      invitation of Gavin Dudeney at a conference entitled ICT in ELT:
      putting the 'Learning' back into 'E-Learning' Manchester Conference
      Centre, 12-17 February 2006 (0563)
      http://www.britishcouncil.org/seminars-english-0563.htm.

      I will give two presentations, one at 9 a.m. GMT and the other at
      10:00 GMT. The task is as follows: "Participants are all interested
      in ICT in ELT, on a teacher, trainer and a ministry level and come
      from a wide variety of countries around the world. They will have
      seen a bit of group CoP theory, and looked extensively at Yahoo
      Groups beforehand. They will also have discussed, a little, what
      makes a good group. What I'd like you to do is present Webheads, a
      bit of history, what it does, how it has evolved and why they should
      probably think about joining it. Some nice anecdotes, practical
      experiences or whatever, and a look at the kind of courses you do,
      the Convergence, etc."

      If you think you will attend, it's always good to hear back from you
      (offlist is fine) about which session you will attend, or both, so I
      can have some idea of what to expect.

      And at around the usual Webheads time Sunday noon GMT and later
      Gavin Dudeny will be setting up in Manchester and will be wanting to
      test connections in the Learning Times Elluminate Room. If you are
      around at that time you are most welcome to drop in. Come by tapped
      in for further instructions.

      Secondly, in case you are truly interested in seeing how a Moodle
      works to organize a conference, you could apply following the
      instructions below to participate in the conference itself.

      This is a British Council affair, the organizers are doing an
      excellent job but are wary of their success, and there seems to be
      some concern about overwhelming the conference. Therefore, it has
      been made clear that only those who really want (and have time!) to
      INTERACT in this Moodle should apply for the few spaces available.
      If you would like to apply, you should say (if asked) that you saw
      the following notice in a BC ELTeCS postings (and be very
      enthusiastic!!!)

      Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:46:29 -0500
      From: Abdelmajid Bouziane <bouamin@...>
      Subject: Invitation to remote participation in ICT and ELT BC seminar

      INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE REMOTELY IN A BRITISH COUNCIL SEMINAR

      ICT and ELT: putting the 'learning' back into 'e-learning' 12-17
      February 2006

      Remote participation invited

      This seminar will take place in Manchester with remote participants
      joining from all over the world. For remote participants the event
      is free but it is expected that all those registered will actively
      participate in the forums, chats and 'live' events.

      Online participants will be able to:

      1. Access the content of the seminar (presentations will be filmed
      and uploaded onto a community platform).

      2. Discuss the presentations and key topics in discussion forums.

      3. Share experiences, ideas and practice with contributors and
      fellow participants (f2f and remote)

      4. Read a daily blog giving a personal perspective on the day's
      proceedings

      5. Join in daily social chats

      6. Participate in a competition.

      To make the most out of the online event we recommend you allocate
      at least an hour a day to access the new material on the site and
      join in the various discussions, etc.

      Remote participants, who have actively participated, will receive a
      teaching English CD-ROM www.teachingenglish.org.uk

      How to apply

      Please click on this link and complete the online application form to
      register: http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wix/p5885799.aspx

      Places are limited so apply early in order not to be disappointed.

      How to get further information or assistance Refer to the web page or
      contact Miriam Saxl miriam.saxl@...

      Successful applicants will be contacted with further details of
      participation and log in by Shaka Obhiozele
      shaka.obhiozele@...

      Christopher Palmer
      British Council Seminars

      Please visit the ELTeCS website at:
      http://www.britishcouncil.org/english/eltecs/index.htm

      You can find previous ELTeCS-AME-L postings at:
      http://mis.britishcouncil.org/archives/eltecs-ame-l.html

      Gavin Dudeney - Project Director
      The Consultants-E, S.L.L.

      Email: gavin.dudeney@...
      Website: http://www.theconsultants-e.com
      Skype: theconsultants-e
      MSN: gavindudeney@...

      -----------------------------

      End of announcement. I'm impressed by what I've seen so far. Maybe
      see you there ... Vance
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 13, 2006
        Hi,

        Thanks for the responses from those planning to join me tomorrow. I
        will be at http://tinyurl.com/y3eh at 9 a.m. GMT (Feb 14) but it
        turns out that a big room has been found in Manchester and the
        conference organizers feel that only one presentation is now needed
        (they were going to have us present twice due to room size not
        accommodating all) ...

        And that presentation will be at 10 gmt

        The conference has been interesting so far. Using Moodle to good
        advantage, lively discussion has been raised on digital divide,
        professional development and many ancillary issues. The group is
        coming to the conclusion that communities of practice could help to
        address their need to learn more about technology and today the live
        audience were treated to workshops on CoPs by Gavin Dudeney and Eric
        Baber, both Webheads.

        If you've joined the Moodle at
        http://www.britishcouncilinteractive.tv/moodle/course/view.php?id=5

        then you can see their presentations and workshop materials, read
        the volumous discussions leading up to our session tomorrow, and see
        how we'll fit in. I've made the point that we are modeling an
        approach, and having people on hand to give examples of how our CoP
        works will make it that much more interesting for the participants.

        If anyone meeting on Feb 16 would like to join us you can get some
        practice with Learning Times Elluminate, one of our venues.

        Hope to see some of you tomorrow,

        Vance

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Vance Stevens"
        <vstevens@...> wrote:

        > This message has two parts.
        >
        > First, you are invited to join me oneline at
        http://tinyurl.com/y3eh
        > on Tuesday February 14th when I present from a distance at the
        > invitation of Gavin Dudeney at a conference entitled ICT in ELT:
        > putting the 'Learning' back into 'E-Learning' Manchester
        Conference
        > Centre, 12-17 February 2006 (0563)
        > http://www.britishcouncil.org/seminars-english-0563.htm.

      • Sus Nyrop
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 13, 2006
          Hi Vance,

          I'll do my best to be online around (or even before) 10 am GMT and I've joined the conference Moodle. Looking forward to another Webheads presence If time allows and you invite me to do so, I would be ready to say something about 5 years of experience with EVO and show some examples of blogs developed in the EVO co-blog workshop that I'm co-moderating with Jane & Anna this year.

          yours,

          Sus

          .

          <vstevens@...> wrote:

          > This message has two parts.
          >
          > First, you are invited to join me oneline at
          http://tinyurl.com/y3eh
          > on Tuesday February 14th when I present from a distance at the
          > invitation of Gavin Dudeney at a conference entitled ICT in ELT:
          > putting the 'Learning' back into 'E-Learning' Manchester
          Conference
          > Centre, 12-17 February 2006 (0563)
          > http://www.britishcouncil.org/seminars-english-0563.htm.

          Distance learning master degree Distance learning education online Distance learning schools

        • Sus Nyrop
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 13, 2006
            Hi again Vance,

            I thought that I had been accepted for the Manchester conference Moodle from my online application filled in yesterday, but it appears that I'm not a member, after all.
            Sorry about not checking this detail before calling back. Apparently it is now impossible to redo my application as the event and reference number is no longer on the list,
            '
            Anyway, I might just drop by and see what's shakin' in the Webheads LT office :-)

            yours, Sus

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 13, 2006
              Sure, I will try and leave plenty of time for voices from all who are
              on hand.

              I'm going to talk BRIEFLY about how webheads got started, a little
              more about how we've changed, evolved, and continue to change, and
              lead into how we can serve as a model change agent for others who want
              to change themselves from A to B whatever those are.

              I doubt if you'll have any trouble addressing these points.

              I forgot to mention, if you join us, try and have a graphic to paste
              on the whiteboard for the usual grafitti wall.

              cya there,

              Vance

              p.s. Glad to see you were able to join the Moodle. Did you find the
              picture of Dennis (in Eric's presentation Monday)?

            • vstevens@emirates.net.ae
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 13, 2006
                oh, darn, I guess my just-now posting is inoperable

                Too bad it's not a webheads event, free for all.

                Anyway, maybe we can get the webheads who are running the event to
                prevail on the BC to open the Moodle as an archive. At the moment
                they're busy with the conference though (Gavin and Nicky).

                Best,

                From: Sus Nyrop <s.nyrop@...>
                Date: Monday, February 13, 2006 5:13 pm

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 14, 2006
                  Hi

                  I think we got through another one. Here's proof:

                  http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=1122376

                  When you play the recording you have move the application share
                  window off the whiteboard. You can move the video window out of the
                  way and move the application share window to one side as well if you
                  want to see that window and the whiteboard simultaneously.

                  When I load it on my laptop, it starts and stops. The solution is
                  to let the load in happen and then you should be able to play the
                  recording in a continuous stream.

                  Thanks to all who were there (and to those who came just before and
                  after ;-) It was the usual FUN.

                  I think Buth is trying to contact Gavin about getting access to the
                  conference Moodle. She tried to call her local British Council and
                  met with someone who made it clear that he was not interested in
                  helping. We'll try to weigh in and see if we can get someone in the
                  BC to ok the pending applications to join the conference and Moodle.

                  But not now, it's valentine's day. Everyone have a happy one.

                  Vance

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, vstevens@... wrote:

                  > Sure, I will try and leave plenty of time for voices from all who
                  are
                  > on hand.
                  >
                  > I'm going to talk BRIEFLY about how webheads got started, a little
                  > more about how we've changed, evolved, and continue to change, and
                  > lead into how we can serve as a model change agent for others who
                  want
                  > to change themselves from A to B whatever those are.
                  >
                  > I doubt if you'll have any trouble addressing these points.
                  >
                  > I forgot to mention, if you join us, try and have a graphic to
                  paste
                  > on the whiteboard for the usual grafitti wall.
                  >
                  > cya there,
                  >
                  > Vance
                  >
                  > p.s. Glad to see you were able to join the Moodle. Did you find
                  the
                  > picture of Dennis (in Eric's presentation Monday)?

                  http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.h
                  tm
                  > > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any
                  > > other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to
                  postings,
                  > > please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the
                  > > reply - Thanks!!

                  distance
                  > > learning Distance learning
                  > > Distance learning master degree Distance learning
                  > > education online Distance learning schools

                  > > of Service.

                  > > -----------

                  > > 10-02-2006

                  > > For more information:

                  http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.h
                  tm

                  > > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any
                  other
                  > > extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings,
                  > > please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the
                  > > reply - Thanks!!
                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Cintia Costa
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 14, 2006
                    Dear Vance,

                    Thanks for your presentation! I have been learning a lot! I even created an ODEO account for me.

                    Oh, Gosh, there are so maaaaaaaaany nice tools to use to teach and learn. It seems I'll have to spend more and more time studying in order to choose what is more suitable for my objectives...

                    Millions of thanks,
                    Cintia :-)

                    Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote:
                    Hi

                    I think we got through another one. Here's proof:

                    http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=1122376

                    When you play the recording you have move the application share
                    window off the whiteboard. You can move the video window out of the
                    way and move the application share window to one side as well if you
                    want to see that window and the whiteboard simultaneously.

                    When I load it on my laptop, it starts and stops. The solution is
                    to let the load in happen and then you should be able to play the
                    recording in a continuous stream.

                    Thanks to all who were there (and to those who came just before and
                    after ;-) It was the usual FUN.

                    I think Buth is trying to contact Gavin about getting access to the
                    conference Moodle. She tried to call her local British Council and
                    met with someone who made it clear that he was not interested in
                    helping. We'll try to weigh in and see if we can get someone in the
                    BC to ok the pending applications to join the conference and Moodle.

                    But not now, it's valentine's day. Everyone have a happy one.

                    Vance

                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, vstevens@... wrote:

                    > Sure, I will try and leave plenty of time for voices from all who
                    are
                    > on hand.
                    >
                    > I'm going to talk BRIEFLY about how webheads got started, a little
                    > more about how we've changed, evolved, and continue to change, and
                    > lead into how we can serve as a model change agent for others who
                    want
                    > to change themselves from A to B whatever those are.
                    >
                    > I doubt if you'll have any trouble addressing these points.
                    >
                    > I forgot to mention, if you join us, try and have a graphic to
                    paste
                    > on the whiteboard for the usual grafitti wall.
                    >
                    > cya there,
                    >
                    > Vance
                    >
                    > p.s. Glad to see you were able to join the Moodle. Did you find
                    the
                    > picture of Dennis (in Eric's presentation Monday)?

                    Distance learning education Accredited distance learning Distance learning Distance learning master degree Distance learning education online Distance learning schools

                  • Graham Stanley
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 14, 2006
                      Hi Vance, Buth, and everyone interested in viewing the BC Seminar
                      recorded presentations.

                      > I think Buth is trying to contact Gavin about getting access to the
                      > conference Moodle. She tried to call her local British Council and
                      > met with someone who made it clear that he was not interested in
                      > helping. We'll try to weigh in and see if we can get someone in the
                      > BC to ok the pending applications to join the conference and Moodle.

                      I'm enrolled in the seminar and also work at the BC, so I'd be happy
                      to contact the organisers and ask for special access privileges for
                      webheads. I'm not sure they'll be happy to allow access at the moment
                      now, though - there was a limit to the number of participants, and all
                      the participants who were not active in the days before the seminar
                      were told that they were going to be unenrolled.

                      With so much activity happening in the Moodle forums, and busy chat
                      rooms, etc, I imagine they won't be keen on admitting anyone else at
                      this stage. However,once the week's seminar is over, perhaps access to
                      the Moodle could be opened to webheads, even if this is only for a
                      limited time.

                      With so many mentions of Webheads as the perfect model of a
                      functioning CoP, and with many (all?) of the presenters actually being
                      lurking members of this group, and learning from it, I don't see any
                      reason why this shouldn't be premitted.

                      I'll send an email tomorrow to the organiser and report back here once
                      I receive a reply.

                      Happy Valentine's day everyone!

                      Graham Stanley
                    • djn@dennisnewson.de
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 14, 2006
                        I've also applied to the BC for access to the Manchester Moodle and am awaiting an
                        answer. I can imagine that one underlying problem is that people who attended the
                        conference paid quite a lot to do so. It must be a little difficult giving free access to material
                        for which some people have had to pay.

                        Dennis
                      • vstevens@emirates.net.ae
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 14, 2006
                          Thanks for your reply. And especially thanks for your reply on Odeo.

                          Hey webheads, remember the Wimba threaded voice discussion boards?
                          Weren't we disappointed when they disappeared?

                          Take a look at this:
                          http://odeo.com/a/UE66smL4kL3flKZHCP6f8ibGLmlwQ8PO5iK4xjff/#cmnt6800

                          See any similarities?

                          From: Cintia Costa <cintiabentes@...>
                          Date: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 12:07 pm
                          Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] link to presentationTue Feb 14 at
                          10 GMT

                        • vstevens@emirates.net.ae
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
                            Graham,

                            Thanks for offering to take this on. You might be relieved of having
                            to do anything with any luck. I've just caught Gavin on MSN. He says
                            he can enrol people in the Moodle and he's having a relaxed day
                            today. AND he has agreed to act on individual emails sent by members
                            of this group.

                            So if you have been trying to enroll in this BC Moodle so far without
                            success, please send Gavin, asap, your

                            Name
                            Surname
                            valid email address
                            country

                            Mention that you are in Webheads and have been trying to participate
                            in the conference, and he will enroll you in the Moodle.

                            You might also ask him to reply with the User Name and Password to
                            watch the video presentations.

                            Gavin's email address is gavin.dudeney@...

                            I hope this will help those of you having problems to resolve this
                            problem with minimum fuss, and will also relieve Graham and I of
                            further intervention (and will not cause Gavin undo stress ;-) - I've
                            already been joking with Gavin a bit this morning, so try and catch
                            him while he's in a good mood. :-)

                            And thanks, Gavin (cc'd on this email)

                            From: Graham Stanley <blogefl@...>
                            Date: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 2:50 pm
                            Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Access to BC Moodle and recorded
                            presentations

                            > Hi Vance, Buth, and everyone interested in viewing the BC Seminar
                            > recorded presentations.
                            >
                            > > I think Buth is trying to contact Gavin about getting access to
                            > the
                            > > conference Moodle. She tried to call her local British Council
                            > and
                            > > met with someone who made it clear that he was not interested in
                            > > helping. We'll try to weigh in and see if we can get someone in
                            > the
                            > > BC to ok the pending applications to join the conference and
                            Moodle.

                            > I'm enrolled in the seminar and also work at the BC, so I'd be happy
                            > to contact the organisers and ask for special access privileges for
                            > webheads. I'm not sure they'll be happy to allow access at the moment
                            > now, though - there was a limit to the number of participants, and
                            all
                            > the participants who were not active in the days before the seminar
                            > were told that they were going to be unenrolled.
                            >
                            > With so much activity happening in the Moodle forums, and busy chat
                            > rooms, etc, I imagine they won't be keen on admitting anyone else at
                            > this stage. However,once the week's seminar is over, perhaps
                            > access to
                            > the Moodle could be opened to webheads, even if this is only for a
                            > limited time.
                            >
                            > With so many mentions of Webheads as the perfect model of a
                            > functioning CoP, and with many (all?) of the presenters actually
                            being
                            > lurking members of this group, and learning from it, I don't see any
                            > reason why this shouldn't be premitted.
                            >
                            > I'll send an email tomorrow to the organiser and report back here
                            once
                            > I receive a reply.
                            >
                            > Happy Valentine's day everyone!
                            >
                            > Graham Stanley
                            >

                            > For more information:

                            > extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings,
                            > please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the
                            > reply - Thanks!!
                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Eric Baber
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
                              Hi Dennis and all,

                              > I've also applied to the BC for access to the Manchester Moodle and am
                              > awaiting an
                              > answer. I can imagine that one underlying problem is that people who
                              > attended the
                              > conference paid quite a lot to do so. It must be a little difficult giving
                              > free access to material
                              > for which some people have had to pay.

                              That doesn't really seem to be the issue - the Moodle content has always
                              been free for this seminar to whoever applied for access in time (the
                              British Council seem to be very generous these days! ;-)) I think it's
                              largely a matter of management, and building a useful community; they've
                              tried very hard to get everyone who's interested to register beforehand, so
                              that it's one group working through the course from beginning to end, and I
                              think are trying to discourage people from just popping in and out at
                              random.

                              Eric
                            • Eric Baber
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
                                Hi Dennis and all,

                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
                                  My apologies,

                                  Gavin's email is gavin.dudeney@...

                                  > Thanks for offering to take this on. You might be relieved of
                                  > having
                                  > to do anything with any luck. I've just caught Gavin on MSN. He
                                  > says
                                  > he can enrol people in the Moodle and he's having a relaxed day
                                  > today. AND he has agreed to act on individual emails sent by
                                  > members
                                  > of this group.
                                  >
                                  > So if you have been trying to enroll in this BC Moodle so far
                                  > without
                                  > success, please send Gavin, asap, your
                                  >
                                  > Name
                                  > Surname
                                  > valid email address
                                  > country
                                  >
                                  > Mention that you are in Webheads and have been trying to
                                  > participate
                                  > in the conference, and he will enroll you in the Moodle.
                                  >
                                  > You might also ask him to reply with the User Name and Password to
                                  > watch the video presentations.
                                  >
                                  > Gavin's email address is gavin.dudeney@...
                                  >
                                  > I hope this will help those of you having problems to resolve this
                                  > problem with minimum fuss, and will also relieve Graham and I of
                                  > further intervention (and will not cause Gavin undo stress ;-) -
                                  > I've
                                  > already been joking with Gavin a bit this morning, so try and
                                  > catch
                                  > him while he's in a good mood. :-)
                                  >
                                  > And thanks, Gavin (cc'd on this email)
                                  >
                                  > Vance

                                • Dafne
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
                                    Control and power :-(

                                    One of the aspects that makes webheads different and
                                    keep together as a growing learning community is that
                                    here people control themselves, not to mention the
                                    free distribution of knowledge ;-)

                                    Sorry I missed Vance's pres yesterday, it was too
                                    early for me and I had a 12-hour working day ahead of
                                    me.

                                    hugs,

                                    Daf

                                    --- Eric Baber <Eric@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Dennis and all,
                                    >
                                    > > I've also applied to the BC for access to the
                                    > Manchester Moodle and am
                                    > > awaiting an
                                    > > answer. I can imagine that one underlying problem
                                    > is that people who
                                    > > attended the
                                    > > conference paid quite a lot to do so. It must be a
                                    > little difficult giving
                                    > > free access to material
                                    > > for which some people have had to pay.
                                    >
                                    > That doesn't really seem to be the issue - the
                                    > Moodle content has always
                                    > been free for this seminar to whoever applied for
                                    > access in time (the
                                    > British Council seem to be very generous these days!
                                    > ;-)) I think it's
                                    > largely a matter of management, and building a
                                    > useful community; they've
                                    > tried very hard to get everyone who's interested to
                                    > register beforehand, so
                                    > that it's one group working through the course from
                                    > beginning to end, and I
                                    > think are trying to discourage people from just
                                    > popping in and out at
                                    > random.
                                    >
                                    > Eric

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • Eric Baber
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
                                      > Control and power :-(

                                      Hmmm, I think we may be being a bit harsh on the British Council here.
                                      They've paid probably thousands for this event - they've paid the
                                      participants' airfares, accommodation, meals for a week, plus organisers and
                                      speakers, and have opened EVERYTHING up for free. So people have to register
                                      in order to participate online and for free; I don't see anything wrong with
                                      that. And seeing as they're using videos, which are expensive to stream out
                                      (in terms of server storage, bandwidth, production etc) I think it's only
                                      fair that they keep an eye on how much everything is being used.

                                      Rather than having a go at them for asking people to register, I think we
                                      ought to applaude them for making everything freely available in the first
                                      place. They could have easily ignored the wider, online community and made
                                      this seminar for f2f participants only, like with the dozens of other
                                      seminars they run. Instead, they've opted to spend additional money making
                                      it available online, for anyone who takes the time to register. Personally,
                                      I find that excellent.

                                      My tuppence worth :-)

                                      Eric
                                    • Buthaina Al-Othman
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
                                        From the way BC people here in Kuwait dealt with my request on helping
                                        me register at the BC Moodle, it is more of bureaucracy than control
                                        and power.

                                        I am still going no where following a number of phone conversations,
                                        yesterday. I was advised to call someone who should be able to help
                                        me. I did and got an email from him later requesting information on
                                        where I learned about the conference and to forward the invitation
                                        message to him.

                                        I did that and then, got a phone call from him this afternoon asking
                                        me to call or email yet another person. I couldn't do that at that
                                        point as I had a live online presentation with Elizabeth for the Tips
                                        & Tricks and Oral Skills EVO sessions in Webheads virtual office at
                                        LTs.org but will try later.

                                        It is BUREAUCRACY that we/I hope using technology can help reducing it
                                        here and everywhere in the world in the future, inshallah :)

                                        Buth
                                        -----------------

                                        In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Baber" <Eric@...> wrote:

                                        > > Control and power :-(
                                        >
                                        > Hmmm, I think we may be being a bit harsh on the British Council here.
                                        > They've paid probably thousands for this event - they've paid the
                                        > participants' airfares, accommodation, meals for a week, plus
                                        organisers and
                                        > speakers, and have opened EVERYTHING up for free. So people have to
                                        register
                                        > in order to participate online and for free; I don't see anything
                                        wrong with
                                        > that. And seeing as they're using videos, which are expensive to
                                        stream out
                                        > (in terms of server storage, bandwidth, production etc) I think it's
                                        only
                                        > fair that they keep an eye on how much everything is being used.
                                        >
                                        > Rather than having a go at them for asking people to register, I
                                        think we
                                        > ought to applaude them for making everything freely available in the
                                        first
                                        > place. They could have easily ignored the wider, online community
                                        and made
                                        > this seminar for f2f participants only, like with the dozens of other
                                        > seminars they run. Instead, they've opted to spend additional money
                                        making
                                        > it available online, for anyone who takes the time to register.
                                        Personally,
                                        > I find that excellent.
                                        >
                                        > My tuppence worth :-)
                                        >
                                        > Eric

                                      • Buthaina Al-Othman
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
                                          Hi Graham,

                                          Yes, I did and the people from the British Council,(BC)here in Kuwait
                                          are still trying to help me.

                                          I do understand and it might be my fault as I tried to register a bit
                                          late. It'd be great if you could assist from your end, Graham and I
                                          will continue my communication with the right people I was told to
                                          contact at the (BC) here via email and phone calls, tomorrow, as it's
                                          too late now, at 9:11 p.m. Kuwait Local Time.

                                          Hope we/Webheads could join you all soon online at the BC Moodle so
                                          that we could share and learn more, together.

                                          Thank you, Graham; I do appreciate your support.

                                          Buth
                                          --------

                                        • djn@dennisnewson.de
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
                                            Vance's recommendation to write to Gavin Dudeney seems to work simply and
                                            straightforwardly. See a few messages back.

                                            Dennis
                                          • Buthaina Al-Othman
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
                                              Done!!

                                              Thanks, Vance and Dennis :)

                                              Buth
                                              -------------

                                              In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, djn@... wrote:

                                              > Vance's recommendation to write to Gavin Dudeney seems to work
                                              simply and
                                              > straightforwardly. See a few messages back.
                                              >

                                              > Dennis

                                            • Buthaina Al-Othman
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 15, 2006
                                                Yes, I/we do remember, Vance we were all very disappointed..

                                                But we are so lucky that the evolution of the Web resulted in lots of
                                                great cool stuff, ODEO is only one good example.

                                                To Cintia:

                                                Please connect to our EVO WebPresence 2 ODEO Channel, by adding us
                                                into your ODEO inbox, subscribing to our RSS, and adding your name to
                                                our Taggs box. Here is the link to our EVO WebPresence 2 where you
                                                could do all of the above:

                                                < http://odeo.com/channel/56415/view >

                                                Best wishes to all,

                                                Buth
                                                ------------

                                              • Lee Baber
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 18, 2006
                                                  Hello Everyone, I am unable to open a file. Can anyone help me know
                                                  which app is best to use for this item?
                                                  Thanks and happy 'Saturday.
                                                  Lee
                                                  I know its probably a DVD file but it is not opening easily on
                                                  anything i have.

                                                  Here is the extension.
                                                  .VOB
                                                  .IFO
                                                  .BUP
                                                • Bruce Moon
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 18, 2006
                                                    I am sure there are probably open source tools that can do the job, but on
                                                    my computer. I know people who want to "rip" DVD's have special tools; many
                                                    of the tools are designed for defeating copy protection schemes. I can't say
                                                    and don't know anything about those.
                                                    I use video editing software. I think the files work together and you don't
                                                    really "open" the file like you do with most applications. Nerovision, part
                                                    of the Nero Ultra Edition can do it with the latest updates; you select
                                                    Import DVD. Pinnacle Studio may also be able to do the job, but based on the
                                                    reviews of Studio 10, I can't recommend it.
                                                    Bruce
                                                  • John Hibbs
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 21, 2006
                                                      As is his usual practice, Eric speaks sensibly and with grace,

                                                      At 2:19 PM +0000 2/15/06, Eric Baber wrote:
                                                      > > Control and power :-(
                                                      >
                                                      >Hmmm, I think we may be being a bit harsh on the British Council here.
                                                      >They've paid probably thousands for this event - they've paid the
                                                      >participants' airfares, accommodation, meals for a week, plus organisers and
                                                      >speakers, and have opened EVERYTHING up for free. So people have to register
                                                      >in order to participate online and for free; I don't see anything wrong with
                                                      >that. And seeing as they're using videos, which are expensive to stream out
                                                      >(in terms of server storage, bandwidth, production etc) I think it's only
                                                      >fair that they keep an eye on how much everything is being used.
                                                      >
                                                      >Rather than having a go at them for asking people to register, I think we
                                                      >ought to applaude them for making everything freely available in the first
                                                      >place. They could have easily ignored the wider, online community and made
                                                      >this seminar for f2f participants only, like with the dozens of other
                                                      >seminars they run. Instead, they've opted to spend additional money making
                                                      >it available online, for anyone who takes the time to register. Personally,
                                                      >I find that excellent.
                                                      >
                                                      >For more information:
                                                    • Ajarn Paul
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 23, 2006
                                                        Hi

                                                        Definitely a dvd file. The free Media Player Classic will read and play dvd
                                                        files. It is also part of the real alternative package which is a free
                                                        alternative to real player. Get it from
                                                        http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

                                                        Paul