Re: looking for online collaborators

  • Buthaina Al-Othman
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 7, 2006
      Hi Azzam,

      I'd like to second Aiden's comment, adding that I'd be delighted to
      participate in your first Webhead text-chat project.

      Tappedin.org is one of Webheads' favorite platforms for text-chat,
      where we also meet every Sunday, as you know.

      I'd also like to suggest that you try "Skype WorldBridges" to webcast
      any of your collaborative cross-cultural EFL sessions for the Emirati
      ladies you are teaching, at present.

      Please count me in any of your current or future projects using text
      or voice chat technologies.

      Best regards,

      Buth (from Ashrafiya, Beirut, Lebanon : )

      In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Azzam Premj wrote:

      > Dear webheads
      >
      > Dear colleagues,
      >
      > I am interested in collaborating with some English teachers to
      > organize an international virtual meeting for my EFL students in the
      > next couple of weeks. However, I don't know where I could contact
      > some prospective online collaborators. Do you have any suggestions?
      >
      > I am quite flexible about the content for the virtual interaction. I
      > would like my students to have a fun experience meeting some of
      > their English language learning peers online in real time.
      >
      > Here is a brief profile of my students:
      > • Emirati women
      > • Arabic speakers studying English and Microsoft applications
      > for IT
      > • about 20 – 40 years old
      > • working full-time
      > • some are mothers
      > • lower-intermediate level of English
      > • Dubai, United Arab Emirates (GMT + 4 hours)
      >
      > I was thinking of doing a short synchronous CMC meeting through
      > either http://www.elluminate.com/ or http://tappedin.org/tappedin/
      > but am open to other suggestions. Please contact me if you are
      > interested or have some suggestions.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Azzam Premji
      > English faculty
      > Dubai Women's College
      > United Arab Emirates
      > http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
      > e-mail: azzam_p@...
      > azzam.premji@...

    • Azzam Premji
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 10, 2006
        Dear Webheads,

        I just wanted to express my gratitude to the bountiful enthusiasm
        and support received by Webhead members. I just thought I would keep
        you all updated. I am in e-mail contact with Muzzyeyyen, Hala,
        Sedat, Doris and Vicki about doing student-student virtual
        interactions. I have several EFL classes so I need to collaborate
        with more than one facilitator. In addition, some of my colleagues
        in Dubai have also expressed an interest.

        As you already aware, there are some serious constraints that one
        has to deal with when organising a synchronous meeting: time zone,
        meeting times, internet connection reliability and speed,
        communication tools, students English levels, student interests, to
        name a few. So, not all the collaborations may result in the desired
        outcomes though I am trying to ensure that they do.

        In addition to student-student interactions, I have also asked Sus,
        Reem and Buth to be guest speakers in a virtual meeting in
        Elluminate.

        Thank you once again for your support.

        Regards,
        Azzam Premji
        Dubai Women's College
        P.O. Box 16062
        Dubai, United Arab Emirates
        http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
        tel: +971 4 2089 569
        azzam_p@...
        azzam.premji@...

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Buthaina Al-Othman"
        <buthaina_3@...> wrote:

        > Hi Azzam,
        >
        > I'd like to second Aiden's comment, adding that I'd be delighted to
        > participate in your first Webhead text-chat project.
        >
        > Tappedin.org is one of Webheads' favorite platforms for text-chat,
        > where we also meet every Sunday, as you know.
        >
        > I'd also like to suggest that you try "Skype WorldBridges" to
        webcast
        > any of your collaborative cross-cultural EFL sessions for the
        Emirati
        > ladies you are teaching, at present.
        >
        > Please count me in any of your current or future projects using
        text
        > or voice chat technologies.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Buth (from Ashrafiya, Beirut, Lebanon : )
        >
        > In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Azzam Premj wrote:
        > >
        > > Dear webheads
        > >
        > > Dear colleagues,
        > >
        > > I am interested in collaborating with some English teachers to
        > > organize an international virtual meeting for my EFL students in
        the
        > > next couple of weeks. However, I don't know where I could
        contact
        > > some prospective online collaborators. Do you have any
        suggestions?

        > > I am quite flexible about the content for the virtual
        interaction. I
        > > would like my students to have a fun experience meeting some of
        > > their English language learning peers online in real time.
        > >
        > > Here is a brief profile of my students:
        > > • Emirati women
        > > • Arabic speakers studying English and Microsoft applications
        > > for IT
        > > • about 20 – 40 years old
        > > • working full-time
        > > • some are mothers
        > > • lower-intermediate level of English
        > > • Dubai, United Arab Emirates (GMT + 4 hours)
        > >
        > > I was thinking of doing a short synchronous CMC meeting through
        > > either http://www.elluminate.com/ or
        http://tappedin.org/tappedin/
        > > but am open to other suggestions. Please contact me if you are
        > > interested or have some suggestions.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Azzam Premji
        > > English faculty
        > > Dubai Women's College
        > > United Arab Emirates
        > > http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
        > > e-mail: azzam_p@
        > > azzam.premji@

      • Ajarn Paul
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 14, 2006
          Hi Azzam

          I too am interested in your virtual meeting. My students are mostly female,
          university undergraduates studying English and Business English. I am based
          in Thailand and their level is ranges from beginner to pre-intermediate.

          Paul Mountjoy
          Uttaradit Rajabhat University
          Thailand