Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: looking for online collaborators

  • Dan Bassill
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 7, 2006
      As you've been talking about connecting youth from various countries with
      each other, and about using volunteers in this process, you are describing
      part of the process and opportunity of a volunteer based tutor/mentor
      program.

      The goal of the Tutor/Mentor Connection (
      http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php ) is to help such programs be
      available to more k-12 youth in more places, and to connect these programs
      with each other and with universities and businesses as part of a pipeline
      to careers.

      If you think of a pipeline, there are two ends. One end should be the entry
      point for a youth and the other end should be the output of a youth into a
      job. If a youth enters when he/she is five, it will take up to 20 years for
      that youth to be starting a career in health care, technology, science,
      law, etc.

      In the Tutor/Mentor Institute section of
      http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php I show charts that illustrate
      this pipeline and that show teachers, parents, mentors and social workers as
      people on the entry end as "PUSHING" kids through the pipeline of school,
      college and toward careers. We all do all sorts of creative things to try
      to get kids to listen to us. Depending on the economic and community
      environment that the kid lives in, we have greater degrees of success.

      At the other end of the pipeline businesses who are concerned about worker
      shortages, lack of skills, etc . should be PULLING kids through the
      pipeline, using there resources (people, jobs, technology, dollars,
      leadership, etc.)

      I maintain a database of organizations who offer some form of
      tutoring/mentoring, and people can search by zip code to see if any of these
      programs are in any of the poverty neighborhoods where such programs are
      needed. I use maps of Chicago to show where poverty is most concentrated and
      to draw volunteers and donors to specific tutor/mentor programs in these
      neighborhoods on a more consistent basis. Similar maps could be used in any
      other city in the world.

      If you think of what I'm writing as a three dimensional picture, you'd see
      plumbing that connects every industry (law, science, technology, finance,
      health, etc) to programs in neighborhoods where programs exist. If such a
      visual model existed for Chicago or any other major city it would show that
      in most poverty neighborhoods the pipeline is not connected to kids in
      specific areas, and there are leaks in the pipeline, meaning that there are
      gaps in continuity of programs that would lead a youth from elementary
      school to a career.

      These gaps are places where kids are lost to negative expectations, or
      negative role models in communities with high concentrations of poverty,
      high concentrations of ex-convicts, etc.

      I described this in my November webheads presentation, which you can see at
      www.alado.net/webheads

      I organize conferences every six months (and participate in events organized
      by others) to encourage people to come together and think about what I just
      wrote. These conferences are intended to encourage idea sharing and
      collaboration among existing programs and to create greater public
      visibility that draws more volunteers, donors and business partners into
      this learning process so that they will become supporters of existing
      tutor/mentor programs.

      However they are also intended to create a discussion that leads to a more
      complex understanding of all of the different supports that are needed in
      every neighborhood if there is to be a pipeline to careers for kids born in
      most of the poverty neighborhoods of Chicago or any other city.

      I'd like to invite anyone from Webheads who is interested in this topic to
      email me, or set up a forum, so we can discuss ways they can collaborate
      with the Tutor/Mentor connection to build a greater understanding of this
      pipeline and what individuals and organizations need to do to make it
      available in more places for more kids.

      I host May and November face to face conferences in Chicago and am looking
      for organizers on-line events that will be held in the weeks surrounding the
      Chicago conferences. The goal is to encourage more people who are already
      connecting kids, learning and volunteers to meet, share ideas and
      collaborate and work together to draw more private sector involvement in
      tutor/mentor programs in Chicago and throughout the world.

      The planning that went into the November convergence really dominated this
      eGroup in the months leading up to the event. Since I'm describing a
      Tutor/Mentor Connection initiative, I don't want to dominate the Webheads
      eGroup with this discussion and the planning that would be required for some
      Webheads to take an active role in the May 2006 or November 2006
      eConferences. Thus I encourage anyone interested in collaborating with the
      T/MC, or in taking a lead on organizing on-line forums and workshops during
      May and November of this and future years to offer suggestions of where we
      can meet to discuss your involvement.

      You are certainly welcome to use the discussion forum at
      http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php. But if you want to recommend
      use of Learning Times or another space, I'll join you in that forum.

      Dan Bassill
      Tutor/Mentor Connection
      http://tutormentor.blogspot.com
      http://tutormentorconference.bigstep.com
    • Buthaina Al-Othman
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 7, 2006
        Hi Azzam,

        I'd like to second Aiden's comment, adding that I'd be delighted to
        participate in your first Webhead text-chat project.

        Tappedin.org is one of Webheads' favorite platforms for text-chat,
        where we also meet every Sunday, as you know.

        I'd also like to suggest that you try "Skype WorldBridges" to webcast
        any of your collaborative cross-cultural EFL sessions for the Emirati
        ladies you are teaching, at present.

        Please count me in any of your current or future projects using text
        or voice chat technologies.

        Best regards,

        Buth (from Ashrafiya, Beirut, Lebanon : )

        In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Azzam Premj wrote:

        > Dear webheads
        >
        > Dear colleagues,
        >
        > I am interested in collaborating with some English teachers to
        > organize an international virtual meeting for my EFL students in the
        > next couple of weeks. However, I don't know where I could contact
        > some prospective online collaborators. Do you have any suggestions?
        >
        > I am quite flexible about the content for the virtual interaction. I
        > would like my students to have a fun experience meeting some of
        > their English language learning peers online in real time.
        >
        > Here is a brief profile of my students:
        > • Emirati women
        > • Arabic speakers studying English and Microsoft applications
        > for IT
        > • about 20 – 40 years old
        > • working full-time
        > • some are mothers
        > • lower-intermediate level of English
        > • Dubai, United Arab Emirates (GMT + 4 hours)
        >
        > I was thinking of doing a short synchronous CMC meeting through
        > either http://www.elluminate.com/ or http://tappedin.org/tappedin/
        > but am open to other suggestions. Please contact me if you are
        > interested or have some suggestions.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Azzam Premji
        > English faculty
        > Dubai Women's College
        > United Arab Emirates
        > http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
        > e-mail: azzam_p@...
        > azzam.premji@...

      • Azzam Premji
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 10, 2006
          Dear Webheads,

          I just wanted to express my gratitude to the bountiful enthusiasm
          and support received by Webhead members. I just thought I would keep
          you all updated. I am in e-mail contact with Muzzyeyyen, Hala,
          Sedat, Doris and Vicki about doing student-student virtual
          interactions. I have several EFL classes so I need to collaborate
          with more than one facilitator. In addition, some of my colleagues
          in Dubai have also expressed an interest.

          As you already aware, there are some serious constraints that one
          has to deal with when organising a synchronous meeting: time zone,
          meeting times, internet connection reliability and speed,
          communication tools, students English levels, student interests, to
          name a few. So, not all the collaborations may result in the desired
          outcomes though I am trying to ensure that they do.

          In addition to student-student interactions, I have also asked Sus,
          Reem and Buth to be guest speakers in a virtual meeting in
          Elluminate.

          Thank you once again for your support.

          Regards,
          Azzam Premji
          Dubai Women's College
          P.O. Box 16062
          Dubai, United Arab Emirates
          http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
          tel: +971 4 2089 569
          azzam_p@...
          azzam.premji@...

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Buthaina Al-Othman"
          <buthaina_3@...> wrote:

          > Hi Azzam,
          >
          > I'd like to second Aiden's comment, adding that I'd be delighted to
          > participate in your first Webhead text-chat project.
          >
          > Tappedin.org is one of Webheads' favorite platforms for text-chat,
          > where we also meet every Sunday, as you know.
          >
          > I'd also like to suggest that you try "Skype WorldBridges" to
          webcast
          > any of your collaborative cross-cultural EFL sessions for the
          Emirati
          > ladies you are teaching, at present.
          >
          > Please count me in any of your current or future projects using
          text
          > or voice chat technologies.
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > Buth (from Ashrafiya, Beirut, Lebanon : )
          >
          > In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Azzam Premj wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear webheads
          > >
          > > Dear colleagues,
          > >
          > > I am interested in collaborating with some English teachers to
          > > organize an international virtual meeting for my EFL students in
          the
          > > next couple of weeks. However, I don't know where I could
          contact
          > > some prospective online collaborators. Do you have any
          suggestions?

          > > I am quite flexible about the content for the virtual
          interaction. I
          > > would like my students to have a fun experience meeting some of
          > > their English language learning peers online in real time.
          > >
          > > Here is a brief profile of my students:
          > > • Emirati women
          > > • Arabic speakers studying English and Microsoft applications
          > > for IT
          > > • about 20 – 40 years old
          > > • working full-time
          > > • some are mothers
          > > • lower-intermediate level of English
          > > • Dubai, United Arab Emirates (GMT + 4 hours)
          > >
          > > I was thinking of doing a short synchronous CMC meeting through
          > > either http://www.elluminate.com/ or
          http://tappedin.org/tappedin/
          > > but am open to other suggestions. Please contact me if you are
          > > interested or have some suggestions.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Azzam Premji
          > > English faculty
          > > Dubai Women's College
          > > United Arab Emirates
          > > http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
          > > e-mail: azzam_p@
          > > azzam.premji@

        • Ajarn Paul
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 14, 2006
            Hi Azzam

            I too am interested in your virtual meeting. My students are mostly female,
            university undergraduates studying English and Business English. I am based
            in Thailand and their level is ranges from beginner to pre-intermediate.

            Paul Mountjoy
            Uttaradit Rajabhat University
            Thailand