RE: [evonline2002_webheads] looking for online collaborators

  • Ms. Reem Al-Faiz
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
      Hi Azzam,
      i used to have students but not anymore now that im in the states for my masters,
      but i would like to help since i am arab (saudi) and might have someting in common with your students and being a former CALL coordinator, let me know if i can be of any assistance.

      peace

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 7, 2006
        As you've been talking about connecting youth from various countries with
        each other, and about using volunteers in this process, you are describing
        part of the process and opportunity of a volunteer based tutor/mentor
        program.

        The goal of the Tutor/Mentor Connection (
        http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php ) is to help such programs be
        available to more k-12 youth in more places, and to connect these programs
        with each other and with universities and businesses as part of a pipeline
        to careers.

        If you think of a pipeline, there are two ends. One end should be the entry
        point for a youth and the other end should be the output of a youth into a
        job. If a youth enters when he/she is five, it will take up to 20 years for
        that youth to be starting a career in health care, technology, science,
        law, etc.

        In the Tutor/Mentor Institute section of
        http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php I show charts that illustrate
        this pipeline and that show teachers, parents, mentors and social workers as
        people on the entry end as "PUSHING" kids through the pipeline of school,
        college and toward careers. We all do all sorts of creative things to try
        to get kids to listen to us. Depending on the economic and community
        environment that the kid lives in, we have greater degrees of success.

        At the other end of the pipeline businesses who are concerned about worker
        shortages, lack of skills, etc . should be PULLING kids through the
        pipeline, using there resources (people, jobs, technology, dollars,
        leadership, etc.)

        I maintain a database of organizations who offer some form of
        tutoring/mentoring, and people can search by zip code to see if any of these
        programs are in any of the poverty neighborhoods where such programs are
        needed. I use maps of Chicago to show where poverty is most concentrated and
        to draw volunteers and donors to specific tutor/mentor programs in these
        neighborhoods on a more consistent basis. Similar maps could be used in any
        other city in the world.

        If you think of what I'm writing as a three dimensional picture, you'd see
        plumbing that connects every industry (law, science, technology, finance,
        health, etc) to programs in neighborhoods where programs exist. If such a
        visual model existed for Chicago or any other major city it would show that
        in most poverty neighborhoods the pipeline is not connected to kids in
        specific areas, and there are leaks in the pipeline, meaning that there are
        gaps in continuity of programs that would lead a youth from elementary
        school to a career.

        These gaps are places where kids are lost to negative expectations, or
        negative role models in communities with high concentrations of poverty,
        high concentrations of ex-convicts, etc.

        I described this in my November webheads presentation, which you can see at
        www.alado.net/webheads

        I organize conferences every six months (and participate in events organized
        by others) to encourage people to come together and think about what I just
        wrote. These conferences are intended to encourage idea sharing and
        collaboration among existing programs and to create greater public
        visibility that draws more volunteers, donors and business partners into
        this learning process so that they will become supporters of existing
        tutor/mentor programs.

        However they are also intended to create a discussion that leads to a more
        complex understanding of all of the different supports that are needed in
        every neighborhood if there is to be a pipeline to careers for kids born in
        most of the poverty neighborhoods of Chicago or any other city.

        I'd like to invite anyone from Webheads who is interested in this topic to
        email me, or set up a forum, so we can discuss ways they can collaborate
        with the Tutor/Mentor connection to build a greater understanding of this
        pipeline and what individuals and organizations need to do to make it
        available in more places for more kids.

        I host May and November face to face conferences in Chicago and am looking
        for organizers on-line events that will be held in the weeks surrounding the
        Chicago conferences. The goal is to encourage more people who are already
        connecting kids, learning and volunteers to meet, share ideas and
        collaborate and work together to draw more private sector involvement in
        tutor/mentor programs in Chicago and throughout the world.

        The planning that went into the November convergence really dominated this
        eGroup in the months leading up to the event. Since I'm describing a
        Tutor/Mentor Connection initiative, I don't want to dominate the Webheads
        eGroup with this discussion and the planning that would be required for some
        Webheads to take an active role in the May 2006 or November 2006
        eConferences. Thus I encourage anyone interested in collaborating with the
        T/MC, or in taking a lead on organizing on-line forums and workshops during
        May and November of this and future years to offer suggestions of where we
        can meet to discuss your involvement.

        You are certainly welcome to use the discussion forum at
        http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php. But if you want to recommend
        use of Learning Times or another space, I'll join you in that forum.

        Dan Bassill
        Tutor/Mentor Connection
        http://tutormentor.blogspot.com
        http://tutormentorconference.bigstep.com
      • Buthaina Al-Othman
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7, 2006
          Hi Azzam,

          I'd like to second Aiden's comment, adding that I'd be delighted to
          participate in your first Webhead text-chat project.

          Tappedin.org is one of Webheads' favorite platforms for text-chat,
          where we also meet every Sunday, as you know.

          I'd also like to suggest that you try "Skype WorldBridges" to webcast
          any of your collaborative cross-cultural EFL sessions for the Emirati
          ladies you are teaching, at present.

          Please count me in any of your current or future projects using text
          or voice chat technologies.

          Best regards,

          Buth (from Ashrafiya, Beirut, Lebanon : )

          In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Azzam Premj wrote:

          > Dear webheads
          >
          > Dear colleagues,
          >
          > I am interested in collaborating with some English teachers to
          > organize an international virtual meeting for my EFL students in the
          > next couple of weeks. However, I don't know where I could contact
          > some prospective online collaborators. Do you have any suggestions?
          >
          > I am quite flexible about the content for the virtual interaction. I
          > would like my students to have a fun experience meeting some of
          > their English language learning peers online in real time.
          >
          > Here is a brief profile of my students:
          > • Emirati women
          > • Arabic speakers studying English and Microsoft applications
          > for IT
          > • about 20 – 40 years old
          > • working full-time
          > • some are mothers
          > • lower-intermediate level of English
          > • Dubai, United Arab Emirates (GMT + 4 hours)
          >
          > I was thinking of doing a short synchronous CMC meeting through
          > either http://www.elluminate.com/ or http://tappedin.org/tappedin/
          > but am open to other suggestions. Please contact me if you are
          > interested or have some suggestions.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Azzam Premji
          > English faculty
          > Dubai Women's College
          > United Arab Emirates
          > http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
          > e-mail: azzam_p@...
          > azzam.premji@...

        • Azzam Premji
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 10, 2006
            Dear Webheads,

            I just wanted to express my gratitude to the bountiful enthusiasm
            and support received by Webhead members. I just thought I would keep
            you all updated. I am in e-mail contact with Muzzyeyyen, Hala,
            Sedat, Doris and Vicki about doing student-student virtual
            interactions. I have several EFL classes so I need to collaborate
            with more than one facilitator. In addition, some of my colleagues
            in Dubai have also expressed an interest.

            As you already aware, there are some serious constraints that one
            has to deal with when organising a synchronous meeting: time zone,
            meeting times, internet connection reliability and speed,
            communication tools, students English levels, student interests, to
            name a few. So, not all the collaborations may result in the desired
            outcomes though I am trying to ensure that they do.

            In addition to student-student interactions, I have also asked Sus,
            Reem and Buth to be guest speakers in a virtual meeting in
            Elluminate.

            Thank you once again for your support.

            Regards,
            Azzam Premji
            Dubai Women's College
            P.O. Box 16062
            Dubai, United Arab Emirates
            http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
            tel: +971 4 2089 569
            azzam_p@...
            azzam.premji@...

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Buthaina Al-Othman"
            <buthaina_3@...> wrote:

            > Hi Azzam,
            >
            > I'd like to second Aiden's comment, adding that I'd be delighted to
            > participate in your first Webhead text-chat project.
            >
            > Tappedin.org is one of Webheads' favorite platforms for text-chat,
            > where we also meet every Sunday, as you know.
            >
            > I'd also like to suggest that you try "Skype WorldBridges" to
            webcast
            > any of your collaborative cross-cultural EFL sessions for the
            Emirati
            > ladies you are teaching, at present.
            >
            > Please count me in any of your current or future projects using
            text
            > or voice chat technologies.
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > Buth (from Ashrafiya, Beirut, Lebanon : )
            >
            > In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Azzam Premj wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear webheads
            > >
            > > Dear colleagues,
            > >
            > > I am interested in collaborating with some English teachers to
            > > organize an international virtual meeting for my EFL students in
            the
            > > next couple of weeks. However, I don't know where I could
            contact
            > > some prospective online collaborators. Do you have any
            suggestions?

            > > I am quite flexible about the content for the virtual
            interaction. I
            > > would like my students to have a fun experience meeting some of
            > > their English language learning peers online in real time.
            > >
            > > Here is a brief profile of my students:
            > > • Emirati women
            > > • Arabic speakers studying English and Microsoft applications
            > > for IT
            > > • about 20 – 40 years old
            > > • working full-time
            > > • some are mothers
            > > • lower-intermediate level of English
            > > • Dubai, United Arab Emirates (GMT + 4 hours)
            > >
            > > I was thinking of doing a short synchronous CMC meeting through
            > > either http://www.elluminate.com/ or
            http://tappedin.org/tappedin/
            > > but am open to other suggestions. Please contact me if you are
            > > interested or have some suggestions.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Azzam Premji
            > > English faculty
            > > Dubai Women's College
            > > United Arab Emirates
            > > http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
            > > e-mail: azzam_p@
            > > azzam.premji@

          • Ajarn Paul
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 14, 2006
              Hi Azzam

              I too am interested in your virtual meeting. My students are mostly female,
              university undergraduates studying English and Business English. I am based
              in Thailand and their level is ranges from beginner to pre-intermediate.

              Paul Mountjoy
              Uttaradit Rajabhat University
              Thailand