Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: looking for online collaborators

  • Sus Nyrop
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
      Hi Azzam and Doris,

      if we can fit this into our calendars and you would like to have a co-moderator to meet with your classes, I'm all yours!

      Sus
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
        Hello Azzam,

        Wow! You've got a lot of volunteers. I'm actaully smiling now as I read the thread of emails. Each message reveals the webhead spirit. This is what webheads is all about. It is not just about technology but the human factor that makes technology work. And if combined effectively, it can have positive ramifications on students' learning. They are the reason why we're doing all sorts of collaborations. In a nutshell, I think, they are the reason why Webheads exists.

        Cheers to all and good luck Azzam on your work.

        Aiden Yeh

        Sus Nyrop <s.nyrop@...> wrote:
        Hi Azzam and Doris,

        if we can fit this into our calendars and you would like to have a co-moderator to meet with your classes, I'm all yours!

        Sus
        Hi,Azzam! I'm an EFL teacher from Venezuela. I'd like my students to
        participate and have the chance to meet your students and other
        srudents from the world and cultures. We just finished our semester
        but our summer classes are starting next week. I'll be teaching low
        intermediate students.
        <snip>

      • Ms. Reem Al-Faiz
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
          Hi Azzam,
          i used to have students but not anymore now that im in the states for my masters,
          but i would like to help since i am arab (saudi) and might have someting in common with your students and being a former CALL coordinator, let me know if i can be of any assistance.

          peace

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 7, 2006
            As you've been talking about connecting youth from various countries with
            each other, and about using volunteers in this process, you are describing
            part of the process and opportunity of a volunteer based tutor/mentor
            program.

            The goal of the Tutor/Mentor Connection (
            http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php ) is to help such programs be
            available to more k-12 youth in more places, and to connect these programs
            with each other and with universities and businesses as part of a pipeline
            to careers.

            If you think of a pipeline, there are two ends. One end should be the entry
            point for a youth and the other end should be the output of a youth into a
            job. If a youth enters when he/she is five, it will take up to 20 years for
            that youth to be starting a career in health care, technology, science,
            law, etc.

            In the Tutor/Mentor Institute section of
            http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php I show charts that illustrate
            this pipeline and that show teachers, parents, mentors and social workers as
            people on the entry end as "PUSHING" kids through the pipeline of school,
            college and toward careers. We all do all sorts of creative things to try
            to get kids to listen to us. Depending on the economic and community
            environment that the kid lives in, we have greater degrees of success.

            At the other end of the pipeline businesses who are concerned about worker
            shortages, lack of skills, etc . should be PULLING kids through the
            pipeline, using there resources (people, jobs, technology, dollars,
            leadership, etc.)

            I maintain a database of organizations who offer some form of
            tutoring/mentoring, and people can search by zip code to see if any of these
            programs are in any of the poverty neighborhoods where such programs are
            needed. I use maps of Chicago to show where poverty is most concentrated and
            to draw volunteers and donors to specific tutor/mentor programs in these
            neighborhoods on a more consistent basis. Similar maps could be used in any
            other city in the world.

            If you think of what I'm writing as a three dimensional picture, you'd see
            plumbing that connects every industry (law, science, technology, finance,
            health, etc) to programs in neighborhoods where programs exist. If such a
            visual model existed for Chicago or any other major city it would show that
            in most poverty neighborhoods the pipeline is not connected to kids in
            specific areas, and there are leaks in the pipeline, meaning that there are
            gaps in continuity of programs that would lead a youth from elementary
            school to a career.

            These gaps are places where kids are lost to negative expectations, or
            negative role models in communities with high concentrations of poverty,
            high concentrations of ex-convicts, etc.

            I described this in my November webheads presentation, which you can see at
            www.alado.net/webheads

            I organize conferences every six months (and participate in events organized
            by others) to encourage people to come together and think about what I just
            wrote. These conferences are intended to encourage idea sharing and
            collaboration among existing programs and to create greater public
            visibility that draws more volunteers, donors and business partners into
            this learning process so that they will become supporters of existing
            tutor/mentor programs.

            However they are also intended to create a discussion that leads to a more
            complex understanding of all of the different supports that are needed in
            every neighborhood if there is to be a pipeline to careers for kids born in
            most of the poverty neighborhoods of Chicago or any other city.

            I'd like to invite anyone from Webheads who is interested in this topic to
            email me, or set up a forum, so we can discuss ways they can collaborate
            with the Tutor/Mentor connection to build a greater understanding of this
            pipeline and what individuals and organizations need to do to make it
            available in more places for more kids.

            I host May and November face to face conferences in Chicago and am looking
            for organizers on-line events that will be held in the weeks surrounding the
            Chicago conferences. The goal is to encourage more people who are already
            connecting kids, learning and volunteers to meet, share ideas and
            collaborate and work together to draw more private sector involvement in
            tutor/mentor programs in Chicago and throughout the world.

            The planning that went into the November convergence really dominated this
            eGroup in the months leading up to the event. Since I'm describing a
            Tutor/Mentor Connection initiative, I don't want to dominate the Webheads
            eGroup with this discussion and the planning that would be required for some
            Webheads to take an active role in the May 2006 or November 2006
            eConferences. Thus I encourage anyone interested in collaborating with the
            T/MC, or in taking a lead on organizing on-line forums and workshops during
            May and November of this and future years to offer suggestions of where we
            can meet to discuss your involvement.

            You are certainly welcome to use the discussion forum at
            http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php. But if you want to recommend
            use of Learning Times or another space, I'll join you in that forum.

            Dan Bassill
            Tutor/Mentor Connection
            http://tutormentor.blogspot.com
            http://tutormentorconference.bigstep.com
          • Buthaina Al-Othman
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 7, 2006
              Hi Azzam,

              I'd like to second Aiden's comment, adding that I'd be delighted to
              participate in your first Webhead text-chat project.

              Tappedin.org is one of Webheads' favorite platforms for text-chat,
              where we also meet every Sunday, as you know.

              I'd also like to suggest that you try "Skype WorldBridges" to webcast
              any of your collaborative cross-cultural EFL sessions for the Emirati
              ladies you are teaching, at present.

              Please count me in any of your current or future projects using text
              or voice chat technologies.

              Best regards,

              Buth (from Ashrafiya, Beirut, Lebanon : )

              In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Azzam Premj wrote:

              > Dear webheads
              >
              > Dear colleagues,
              >
              > I am interested in collaborating with some English teachers to
              > organize an international virtual meeting for my EFL students in the
              > next couple of weeks. However, I don't know where I could contact
              > some prospective online collaborators. Do you have any suggestions?
              >
              > I am quite flexible about the content for the virtual interaction. I
              > would like my students to have a fun experience meeting some of
              > their English language learning peers online in real time.
              >
              > Here is a brief profile of my students:
              > • Emirati women
              > • Arabic speakers studying English and Microsoft applications
              > for IT
              > • about 20 – 40 years old
              > • working full-time
              > • some are mothers
              > • lower-intermediate level of English
              > • Dubai, United Arab Emirates (GMT + 4 hours)
              >
              > I was thinking of doing a short synchronous CMC meeting through
              > either http://www.elluminate.com/ or http://tappedin.org/tappedin/
              > but am open to other suggestions. Please contact me if you are
              > interested or have some suggestions.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Azzam Premji
              > English faculty
              > Dubai Women's College
              > United Arab Emirates
              > http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
              > e-mail: azzam_p@...
              > azzam.premji@...

            • Azzam Premji
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 10, 2006
                Dear Webheads,

                I just wanted to express my gratitude to the bountiful enthusiasm
                and support received by Webhead members. I just thought I would keep
                you all updated. I am in e-mail contact with Muzzyeyyen, Hala,
                Sedat, Doris and Vicki about doing student-student virtual
                interactions. I have several EFL classes so I need to collaborate
                with more than one facilitator. In addition, some of my colleagues
                in Dubai have also expressed an interest.

                As you already aware, there are some serious constraints that one
                has to deal with when organising a synchronous meeting: time zone,
                meeting times, internet connection reliability and speed,
                communication tools, students English levels, student interests, to
                name a few. So, not all the collaborations may result in the desired
                outcomes though I am trying to ensure that they do.

                In addition to student-student interactions, I have also asked Sus,
                Reem and Buth to be guest speakers in a virtual meeting in
                Elluminate.

                Thank you once again for your support.

                Regards,
                Azzam Premji
                Dubai Women's College
                P.O. Box 16062
                Dubai, United Arab Emirates
                http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
                tel: +971 4 2089 569
                azzam_p@...
                azzam.premji@...

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Buthaina Al-Othman"
                <buthaina_3@...> wrote:

                > Hi Azzam,
                >
                > I'd like to second Aiden's comment, adding that I'd be delighted to
                > participate in your first Webhead text-chat project.
                >
                > Tappedin.org is one of Webheads' favorite platforms for text-chat,
                > where we also meet every Sunday, as you know.
                >
                > I'd also like to suggest that you try "Skype WorldBridges" to
                webcast
                > any of your collaborative cross-cultural EFL sessions for the
                Emirati
                > ladies you are teaching, at present.
                >
                > Please count me in any of your current or future projects using
                text
                > or voice chat technologies.
                >
                > Best regards,
                >
                > Buth (from Ashrafiya, Beirut, Lebanon : )
                >
                > In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Azzam Premj wrote:
                > >
                > > Dear webheads
                > >
                > > Dear colleagues,
                > >
                > > I am interested in collaborating with some English teachers to
                > > organize an international virtual meeting for my EFL students in
                the
                > > next couple of weeks. However, I don't know where I could
                contact
                > > some prospective online collaborators. Do you have any
                suggestions?

                > > I am quite flexible about the content for the virtual
                interaction. I
                > > would like my students to have a fun experience meeting some of
                > > their English language learning peers online in real time.
                > >
                > > Here is a brief profile of my students:
                > > • Emirati women
                > > • Arabic speakers studying English and Microsoft applications
                > > for IT
                > > • about 20 – 40 years old
                > > • working full-time
                > > • some are mothers
                > > • lower-intermediate level of English
                > > • Dubai, United Arab Emirates (GMT + 4 hours)
                > >
                > > I was thinking of doing a short synchronous CMC meeting through
                > > either http://www.elluminate.com/ or
                http://tappedin.org/tappedin/
                > > but am open to other suggestions. Please contact me if you are
                > > interested or have some suggestions.
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > > Azzam Premji
                > > English faculty
                > > Dubai Women's College
                > > United Arab Emirates
                > > http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
                > > e-mail: azzam_p@
                > > azzam.premji@

              • Ajarn Paul
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 14, 2006
                  Hi Azzam

                  I too am interested in your virtual meeting. My students are mostly female,
                  university undergraduates studying English and Business English. I am based
                  in Thailand and their level is ranges from beginner to pre-intermediate.

                  Paul Mountjoy
                  Uttaradit Rajabhat University
                  Thailand