Re: looking for online collaborators

  • Doris Molero
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
      Hi,Azzam! I'm an EFL teacher from Venezuela. I'd like my students to
      participate and have the chance to meet your students and other
      srudents from the world and cultures. We just finished our semester
      but our summer classes are starting next week. I'll be teaching low
      intermediate students.

      Here is a brief profile of my students:
      • Venezuelan girls and boys
      • Spanish speakers studying English and Engineering (industrial,
      computer, informatics or electronics)
      • about 18 – 40 years old
      • some of them working full time
      • lower-intermediate level of English
      • Maracaibo, Venezuela (GMT - 4 hours)

      We can't use tapped in due to restrictions in our labs, but we can
      use Illuminate. Summer classes go on for 4 weeks. Let me know what
      you decide so I can program the activity with my students. They'll
      be really excited. It'll be their first experience using this tools
      so I'd like to have a pre session with them so they'll feel more
      confident on the day of the meeting with your guys.

      Warm regards from Venezuela and keep on shining!

      Doris de Martins
      Direccion de Ingles
      Dr. Rafael Belloso Chacin
      Maracaibo, Venezuela
      http://www.urbe.edu
      <www.doris3meflcenter.bravehost.com>
      e-mail: dorismolero@....
    • Sus Nyrop
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
        Hi Azzam and Doris,

        if we can fit this into our calendars and you would like to have a co-moderator to meet with your classes, I'm all yours!

        Sus
[...]

        Distance learning master degree Distance learning education online Distance learning schools

      • Aiden Yeh
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
          Hello Azzam,

          Wow! You've got a lot of volunteers. I'm actaully smiling now as I read the thread of emails. Each message reveals the webhead spirit. This is what webheads is all about. It is not just about technology but the human factor that makes technology work. And if combined effectively, it can have positive ramifications on students' learning. They are the reason why we're doing all sorts of collaborations. In a nutshell, I think, they are the reason why Webheads exists.

          Cheers to all and good luck Azzam on your work.

          Aiden Yeh

          Sus Nyrop <s.nyrop@...> wrote:
          Hi Azzam and Doris,

          if we can fit this into our calendars and you would like to have a co-moderator to meet with your classes, I'm all yours!

          Sus
          Hi,Azzam! I'm an EFL teacher from Venezuela. I'd like my students to
          participate and have the chance to meet your students and other
          srudents from the world and cultures. We just finished our semester
          but our summer classes are starting next week. I'll be teaching low
          intermediate students.
          <snip>

        • Ms. Reem Al-Faiz
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
            Hi Azzam,
            i used to have students but not anymore now that im in the states for my masters,
            but i would like to help since i am arab (saudi) and might have someting in common with your students and being a former CALL coordinator, let me know if i can be of any assistance.

            peace

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 7, 2006
              As you've been talking about connecting youth from various countries with
              each other, and about using volunteers in this process, you are describing
              part of the process and opportunity of a volunteer based tutor/mentor
              program.

              The goal of the Tutor/Mentor Connection (
              http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php ) is to help such programs be
              available to more k-12 youth in more places, and to connect these programs
              with each other and with universities and businesses as part of a pipeline
              to careers.

              If you think of a pipeline, there are two ends. One end should be the entry
              point for a youth and the other end should be the output of a youth into a
              job. If a youth enters when he/she is five, it will take up to 20 years for
              that youth to be starting a career in health care, technology, science,
              law, etc.

              In the Tutor/Mentor Institute section of
              http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php I show charts that illustrate
              this pipeline and that show teachers, parents, mentors and social workers as
              people on the entry end as "PUSHING" kids through the pipeline of school,
              college and toward careers. We all do all sorts of creative things to try
              to get kids to listen to us. Depending on the economic and community
              environment that the kid lives in, we have greater degrees of success.

              At the other end of the pipeline businesses who are concerned about worker
              shortages, lack of skills, etc . should be PULLING kids through the
              pipeline, using there resources (people, jobs, technology, dollars,
              leadership, etc.)

              I maintain a database of organizations who offer some form of
              tutoring/mentoring, and people can search by zip code to see if any of these
              programs are in any of the poverty neighborhoods where such programs are
              needed. I use maps of Chicago to show where poverty is most concentrated and
              to draw volunteers and donors to specific tutor/mentor programs in these
              neighborhoods on a more consistent basis. Similar maps could be used in any
              other city in the world.

              If you think of what I'm writing as a three dimensional picture, you'd see
              plumbing that connects every industry (law, science, technology, finance,
              health, etc) to programs in neighborhoods where programs exist. If such a
              visual model existed for Chicago or any other major city it would show that
              in most poverty neighborhoods the pipeline is not connected to kids in
              specific areas, and there are leaks in the pipeline, meaning that there are
              gaps in continuity of programs that would lead a youth from elementary
              school to a career.

              These gaps are places where kids are lost to negative expectations, or
              negative role models in communities with high concentrations of poverty,
              high concentrations of ex-convicts, etc.

              I described this in my November webheads presentation, which you can see at
              www.alado.net/webheads

              I organize conferences every six months (and participate in events organized
              by others) to encourage people to come together and think about what I just
              wrote. These conferences are intended to encourage idea sharing and
              collaboration among existing programs and to create greater public
              visibility that draws more volunteers, donors and business partners into
              this learning process so that they will become supporters of existing
              tutor/mentor programs.

              However they are also intended to create a discussion that leads to a more
              complex understanding of all of the different supports that are needed in
              every neighborhood if there is to be a pipeline to careers for kids born in
              most of the poverty neighborhoods of Chicago or any other city.

              I'd like to invite anyone from Webheads who is interested in this topic to
              email me, or set up a forum, so we can discuss ways they can collaborate
              with the Tutor/Mentor connection to build a greater understanding of this
              pipeline and what individuals and organizations need to do to make it
              available in more places for more kids.

              I host May and November face to face conferences in Chicago and am looking
              for organizers on-line events that will be held in the weeks surrounding the
              Chicago conferences. The goal is to encourage more people who are already
              connecting kids, learning and volunteers to meet, share ideas and
              collaborate and work together to draw more private sector involvement in
              tutor/mentor programs in Chicago and throughout the world.

              The planning that went into the November convergence really dominated this
              eGroup in the months leading up to the event. Since I'm describing a
              Tutor/Mentor Connection initiative, I don't want to dominate the Webheads
              eGroup with this discussion and the planning that would be required for some
              Webheads to take an active role in the May 2006 or November 2006
              eConferences. Thus I encourage anyone interested in collaborating with the
              T/MC, or in taking a lead on organizing on-line forums and workshops during
              May and November of this and future years to offer suggestions of where we
              can meet to discuss your involvement.

              You are certainly welcome to use the discussion forum at
              http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php. But if you want to recommend
              use of Learning Times or another space, I'll join you in that forum.

              Dan Bassill
              Tutor/Mentor Connection
              http://tutormentor.blogspot.com
              http://tutormentorconference.bigstep.com
            • Buthaina Al-Othman
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 7, 2006
                Hi Azzam,

                I'd like to second Aiden's comment, adding that I'd be delighted to
                participate in your first Webhead text-chat project.

                Tappedin.org is one of Webheads' favorite platforms for text-chat,
                where we also meet every Sunday, as you know.

                I'd also like to suggest that you try "Skype WorldBridges" to webcast
                any of your collaborative cross-cultural EFL sessions for the Emirati
                ladies you are teaching, at present.

                Please count me in any of your current or future projects using text
                or voice chat technologies.

                Best regards,

                Buth (from Ashrafiya, Beirut, Lebanon : )

                In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Azzam Premj wrote:

                > Dear webheads
                >
                > Dear colleagues,
                >
                > I am interested in collaborating with some English teachers to
                > organize an international virtual meeting for my EFL students in the
                > next couple of weeks. However, I don't know where I could contact
                > some prospective online collaborators. Do you have any suggestions?
                >
                > I am quite flexible about the content for the virtual interaction. I
                > would like my students to have a fun experience meeting some of
                > their English language learning peers online in real time.
                >
                > Here is a brief profile of my students:
                > • Emirati women
                > • Arabic speakers studying English and Microsoft applications
                > for IT
                > • about 20 – 40 years old
                > • working full-time
                > • some are mothers
                > • lower-intermediate level of English
                > • Dubai, United Arab Emirates (GMT + 4 hours)
                >
                > I was thinking of doing a short synchronous CMC meeting through
                > either http://www.elluminate.com/ or http://tappedin.org/tappedin/
                > but am open to other suggestions. Please contact me if you are
                > interested or have some suggestions.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Azzam Premji
                > English faculty
                > Dubai Women's College
                > United Arab Emirates
                > http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
                > e-mail: azzam_p@...
                > azzam.premji@...

              • Azzam Premji
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 10, 2006
                  Dear Webheads,

                  I just wanted to express my gratitude to the bountiful enthusiasm
                  and support received by Webhead members. I just thought I would keep
                  you all updated. I am in e-mail contact with Muzzyeyyen, Hala,
                  Sedat, Doris and Vicki about doing student-student virtual
                  interactions. I have several EFL classes so I need to collaborate
                  with more than one facilitator. In addition, some of my colleagues
                  in Dubai have also expressed an interest.

                  As you already aware, there are some serious constraints that one
                  has to deal with when organising a synchronous meeting: time zone,
                  meeting times, internet connection reliability and speed,
                  communication tools, students English levels, student interests, to
                  name a few. So, not all the collaborations may result in the desired
                  outcomes though I am trying to ensure that they do.

                  In addition to student-student interactions, I have also asked Sus,
                  Reem and Buth to be guest speakers in a virtual meeting in
                  Elluminate.

                  Thank you once again for your support.

                  Regards,
                  Azzam Premji
                  Dubai Women's College
                  P.O. Box 16062
                  Dubai, United Arab Emirates
                  http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
                  tel: +971 4 2089 569
                  azzam_p@...
                  azzam.premji@...

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Buthaina Al-Othman"
                  <buthaina_3@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Azzam,
                  >
                  > I'd like to second Aiden's comment, adding that I'd be delighted to
                  > participate in your first Webhead text-chat project.
                  >
                  > Tappedin.org is one of Webheads' favorite platforms for text-chat,
                  > where we also meet every Sunday, as you know.
                  >
                  > I'd also like to suggest that you try "Skype WorldBridges" to
                  webcast
                  > any of your collaborative cross-cultural EFL sessions for the
                  Emirati
                  > ladies you are teaching, at present.
                  >
                  > Please count me in any of your current or future projects using
                  text
                  > or voice chat technologies.
                  >
                  > Best regards,
                  >
                  > Buth (from Ashrafiya, Beirut, Lebanon : )
                  >
                  > In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Azzam Premj wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dear webheads
                  > >
                  > > Dear colleagues,
                  > >
                  > > I am interested in collaborating with some English teachers to
                  > > organize an international virtual meeting for my EFL students in
                  the
                  > > next couple of weeks. However, I don't know where I could
                  contact
                  > > some prospective online collaborators. Do you have any
                  suggestions?

                  > > I am quite flexible about the content for the virtual
                  interaction. I
                  > > would like my students to have a fun experience meeting some of
                  > > their English language learning peers online in real time.
                  > >
                  > > Here is a brief profile of my students:
                  > > • Emirati women
                  > > • Arabic speakers studying English and Microsoft applications
                  > > for IT
                  > > • about 20 – 40 years old
                  > > • working full-time
                  > > • some are mothers
                  > > • lower-intermediate level of English
                  > > • Dubai, United Arab Emirates (GMT + 4 hours)
                  > >
                  > > I was thinking of doing a short synchronous CMC meeting through
                  > > either http://www.elluminate.com/ or
                  http://tappedin.org/tappedin/
                  > > but am open to other suggestions. Please contact me if you are
                  > > interested or have some suggestions.
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  > > Azzam Premji
                  > > English faculty
                  > > Dubai Women's College
                  > > United Arab Emirates
                  > > http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
                  > > e-mail: azzam_p@
                  > > azzam.premji@

                • Ajarn Paul
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 14, 2006
                    Hi Azzam

                    I too am interested in your virtual meeting. My students are mostly female,
                    university undergraduates studying English and Business English. I am based
                    in Thailand and their level is ranges from beginner to pre-intermediate.

                    Paul Mountjoy
                    Uttaradit Rajabhat University
                    Thailand