Re: [evonline2002_webheads] looking for online collaborators

  • müzeyyen aykaç
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
      Dear Azzam,

      I would like to participate this international virtual meeting with my pre-intermediate students.
      They are prep-school students at the school of foreign languages.
      - they are nearly 15 Turkish students studying English for their major (tourism management)
      - some of them are good at using computer, some are not
      - they have only one chance to come together in tappedin
      - ages are 17-21
      meeting in tappedin is a good idea. Have you decided the titles that the EFL students will talk on?

      If it is suitable for you, could you inform me..we can discuss about further details...

      regards,

      Müzeyyen Aykaç
      English Instructor
      Mugla University
      School of Foreign Languages
      e-mail:pinar342000@...
      Mugla/Turkiye
      www.mu.edu.tr

      Azzam Premji <azzam_p@...> wrote:
      Dear webheads

      Dear colleagues,

      I am interested in collaborating with some English teachers to
      organize an international virtual meeting for my EFL students in the
      next couple of weeks. However, I don't know where I could contact
      some prospective online collaborators. Do you have any suggestions?

      I am quite flexible about the content for the virtual interaction. I
      would like my students to have a fun experience meeting some of
      their English language learning peers online in real time.

      Here is a brief profile of my students:
      • Emirati women
      • Arabic speakers studying English and Microsoft applications
      for IT
      • about 20 – 40 years old
      • working full-time
      • some are mothers
      • lower-intermediate level of English
      • Dubai, United Arab Emirates (GMT + 4 hours)

      I was thinking of doing a short synchronous CMC meeting through
      either http://www.elluminate.com/ or http://tappedin.org/tappedin/
      but am open to other suggestions. Please contact me if you are
      interested or have some suggestions.

      Regards,
      Azzam Premji
      English faculty
      Dubai Women's College
      United Arab Emirates
      http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
      e-mail: azzam_p@...
      azzam.premji@...

      Distance learning education Accredited distance learning Distance learning Distance learning master degree Distance learning education online Distance learning schools

    • hala fawzi
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
        Hi Azzm,
        Yes,I would like my students to take part, if you are going to use http://www.elluminate.com
        This will be first time for them to take part on an online experience,so I prefer to be a "stunning"one.!You know what I mean.The WOW factor!!If they are exopsed to chat text only ,it wont' come,the WOW factor!!!Thus if you decided to use it,plese inform me about time,date,deatils,topics to be prepared and duration of the session.
        I think I have been asked by Malcolm James about your group,Azzam.
        My students are first year medicine and Dentistry,boys and girls,from Khartoum,Sudan.

        Azzam Premji <azzam_p@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Sedat Akayoglu
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
          Dear Azzam and Muzeyyen,

          I am a research assistant at the Department of English Language Teaching. As
          for my students' profile;

          - they are between 18-22 years old
          - they use MSN and Tapped In; but they also used Ellimunate for an
          online convergence.
          - they are on holiday, however they will come back to school in two
          weeks time

          I would like to take part in such an event with my students if we can
          organise it together. They are also willing to take part.

          Best regards,

          Sedat Akayoglu
          Research Assistant
          Abant Izzet Baysal University
          Faculty of Education
          Department of Foreign Languages Education
          English Language Teaching Programme
          Bolu, Turkey

        • Doris Molero
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
            Hi,Azzam! I'm an EFL teacher from Venezuela. I'd like my students to
            participate and have the chance to meet your students and other
            srudents from the world and cultures. We just finished our semester
            but our summer classes are starting next week. I'll be teaching low
            intermediate students.

            Here is a brief profile of my students:
            • Venezuelan girls and boys
            • Spanish speakers studying English and Engineering (industrial,
            computer, informatics or electronics)
            • about 18 – 40 years old
            • some of them working full time
            • lower-intermediate level of English
            • Maracaibo, Venezuela (GMT - 4 hours)

            We can't use tapped in due to restrictions in our labs, but we can
            use Illuminate. Summer classes go on for 4 weeks. Let me know what
            you decide so I can program the activity with my students. They'll
            be really excited. It'll be their first experience using this tools
            so I'd like to have a pre session with them so they'll feel more
            confident on the day of the meeting with your guys.

            Warm regards from Venezuela and keep on shining!

            Doris de Martins
            Direccion de Ingles
            Dr. Rafael Belloso Chacin
            Maracaibo, Venezuela
            http://www.urbe.edu
            <www.doris3meflcenter.bravehost.com>
            e-mail: dorismolero@....
          • Sus Nyrop
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
              Hi Azzam and Doris,

              if we can fit this into our calendars and you would like to have a co-moderator to meet with your classes, I'm all yours!

              Sus

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
                Hello Azzam,

                Wow! You've got a lot of volunteers. I'm actaully smiling now as I read the thread of emails. Each message reveals the webhead spirit. This is what webheads is all about. It is not just about technology but the human factor that makes technology work. And if combined effectively, it can have positive ramifications on students' learning. They are the reason why we're doing all sorts of collaborations. In a nutshell, I think, they are the reason why Webheads exists.

                Cheers to all and good luck Azzam on your work.

                Aiden Yeh

                Sus Nyrop <s.nyrop@...> wrote:
                Hi Azzam and Doris,

                if we can fit this into our calendars and you would like to have a co-moderator to meet with your classes, I'm all yours!

                Sus
                Hi,Azzam! I'm an EFL teacher from Venezuela. I'd like my students to
                participate and have the chance to meet your students and other
                srudents from the world and cultures. We just finished our semester
                but our summer classes are starting next week. I'll be teaching low
                intermediate students.
                <snip>

              • Ms. Reem Al-Faiz
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 6, 2006
                  Hi Azzam,
                  i used to have students but not anymore now that im in the states for my masters,
                  but i would like to help since i am arab (saudi) and might have someting in common with your students and being a former CALL coordinator, let me know if i can be of any assistance.

                  peace

                  ________________________________

[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Dan Bassill
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 7, 2006
                    As you've been talking about connecting youth from various countries with
                    each other, and about using volunteers in this process, you are describing
                    part of the process and opportunity of a volunteer based tutor/mentor
                    program.

                    The goal of the Tutor/Mentor Connection (
                    http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php ) is to help such programs be
                    available to more k-12 youth in more places, and to connect these programs
                    with each other and with universities and businesses as part of a pipeline
                    to careers.

                    If you think of a pipeline, there are two ends. One end should be the entry
                    point for a youth and the other end should be the output of a youth into a
                    job. If a youth enters when he/she is five, it will take up to 20 years for
                    that youth to be starting a career in health care, technology, science,
                    law, etc.

                    In the Tutor/Mentor Institute section of
                    http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php I show charts that illustrate
                    this pipeline and that show teachers, parents, mentors and social workers as
                    people on the entry end as "PUSHING" kids through the pipeline of school,
                    college and toward careers. We all do all sorts of creative things to try
                    to get kids to listen to us. Depending on the economic and community
                    environment that the kid lives in, we have greater degrees of success.

                    At the other end of the pipeline businesses who are concerned about worker
                    shortages, lack of skills, etc . should be PULLING kids through the
                    pipeline, using there resources (people, jobs, technology, dollars,
                    leadership, etc.)

                    I maintain a database of organizations who offer some form of
                    tutoring/mentoring, and people can search by zip code to see if any of these
                    programs are in any of the poverty neighborhoods where such programs are
                    needed. I use maps of Chicago to show where poverty is most concentrated and
                    to draw volunteers and donors to specific tutor/mentor programs in these
                    neighborhoods on a more consistent basis. Similar maps could be used in any
                    other city in the world.

                    If you think of what I'm writing as a three dimensional picture, you'd see
                    plumbing that connects every industry (law, science, technology, finance,
                    health, etc) to programs in neighborhoods where programs exist. If such a
                    visual model existed for Chicago or any other major city it would show that
                    in most poverty neighborhoods the pipeline is not connected to kids in
                    specific areas, and there are leaks in the pipeline, meaning that there are
                    gaps in continuity of programs that would lead a youth from elementary
                    school to a career.

                    These gaps are places where kids are lost to negative expectations, or
                    negative role models in communities with high concentrations of poverty,
                    high concentrations of ex-convicts, etc.

                    I described this in my November webheads presentation, which you can see at
                    www.alado.net/webheads

                    I organize conferences every six months (and participate in events organized
                    by others) to encourage people to come together and think about what I just
                    wrote. These conferences are intended to encourage idea sharing and
                    collaboration among existing programs and to create greater public
                    visibility that draws more volunteers, donors and business partners into
                    this learning process so that they will become supporters of existing
                    tutor/mentor programs.

                    However they are also intended to create a discussion that leads to a more
                    complex understanding of all of the different supports that are needed in
                    every neighborhood if there is to be a pipeline to careers for kids born in
                    most of the poverty neighborhoods of Chicago or any other city.

                    I'd like to invite anyone from Webheads who is interested in this topic to
                    email me, or set up a forum, so we can discuss ways they can collaborate
                    with the Tutor/Mentor connection to build a greater understanding of this
                    pipeline and what individuals and organizations need to do to make it
                    available in more places for more kids.

                    I host May and November face to face conferences in Chicago and am looking
                    for organizers on-line events that will be held in the weeks surrounding the
                    Chicago conferences. The goal is to encourage more people who are already
                    connecting kids, learning and volunteers to meet, share ideas and
                    collaborate and work together to draw more private sector involvement in
                    tutor/mentor programs in Chicago and throughout the world.

                    The planning that went into the November convergence really dominated this
                    eGroup in the months leading up to the event. Since I'm describing a
                    Tutor/Mentor Connection initiative, I don't want to dominate the Webheads
                    eGroup with this discussion and the planning that would be required for some
                    Webheads to take an active role in the May 2006 or November 2006
                    eConferences. Thus I encourage anyone interested in collaborating with the
                    T/MC, or in taking a lead on organizing on-line forums and workshops during
                    May and November of this and future years to offer suggestions of where we
                    can meet to discuss your involvement.

                    You are certainly welcome to use the discussion forum at
                    http://msg.uc.iupui.edu/TMC/html/index.php. But if you want to recommend
                    use of Learning Times or another space, I'll join you in that forum.

                    Dan Bassill
                    Tutor/Mentor Connection
                    http://tutormentor.blogspot.com
                    http://tutormentorconference.bigstep.com
                  • Buthaina Al-Othman
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 7, 2006
                      Hi Azzam,

                      I'd like to second Aiden's comment, adding that I'd be delighted to
                      participate in your first Webhead text-chat project.

                      Tappedin.org is one of Webheads' favorite platforms for text-chat,
                      where we also meet every Sunday, as you know.

                      I'd also like to suggest that you try "Skype WorldBridges" to webcast
                      any of your collaborative cross-cultural EFL sessions for the Emirati
                      ladies you are teaching, at present.

                      Please count me in any of your current or future projects using text
                      or voice chat technologies.

                      Best regards,

                      Buth (from Ashrafiya, Beirut, Lebanon : )

                      In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Azzam Premj wrote:

                      > Dear webheads
                      >
                      > Dear colleagues,
                      >
                      > I am interested in collaborating with some English teachers to
                      > organize an international virtual meeting for my EFL students in the
                      > next couple of weeks. However, I don't know where I could contact
                      > some prospective online collaborators. Do you have any suggestions?
                      >
                      > I am quite flexible about the content for the virtual interaction. I
                      > would like my students to have a fun experience meeting some of
                      > their English language learning peers online in real time.
                      >
                      > Here is a brief profile of my students:
                      > • Emirati women
                      > • Arabic speakers studying English and Microsoft applications
                      > for IT
                      > • about 20 – 40 years old
                      > • working full-time
                      > • some are mothers
                      > • lower-intermediate level of English
                      > • Dubai, United Arab Emirates (GMT + 4 hours)
                      >
                      > I was thinking of doing a short synchronous CMC meeting through
                      > either http://www.elluminate.com/ or http://tappedin.org/tappedin/
                      > but am open to other suggestions. Please contact me if you are
                      > interested or have some suggestions.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Azzam Premji
                      > English faculty
                      > Dubai Women's College
                      > United Arab Emirates
                      > http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
                      > e-mail: azzam_p@...
                      > azzam.premji@...

                    • Azzam Premji
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 10, 2006
                        Dear Webheads,

                        I just wanted to express my gratitude to the bountiful enthusiasm
                        and support received by Webhead members. I just thought I would keep
                        you all updated. I am in e-mail contact with Muzzyeyyen, Hala,
                        Sedat, Doris and Vicki about doing student-student virtual
                        interactions. I have several EFL classes so I need to collaborate
                        with more than one facilitator. In addition, some of my colleagues
                        in Dubai have also expressed an interest.

                        As you already aware, there are some serious constraints that one
                        has to deal with when organising a synchronous meeting: time zone,
                        meeting times, internet connection reliability and speed,
                        communication tools, students English levels, student interests, to
                        name a few. So, not all the collaborations may result in the desired
                        outcomes though I am trying to ensure that they do.

                        In addition to student-student interactions, I have also asked Sus,
                        Reem and Buth to be guest speakers in a virtual meeting in
                        Elluminate.

                        Thank you once again for your support.

                        Regards,
                        Azzam Premji
                        Dubai Women's College
                        P.O. Box 16062
                        Dubai, United Arab Emirates
                        http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
                        tel: +971 4 2089 569
                        azzam_p@...
                        azzam.premji@...

                        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Buthaina Al-Othman"
                        <buthaina_3@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Azzam,
                        >
                        > I'd like to second Aiden's comment, adding that I'd be delighted to
                        > participate in your first Webhead text-chat project.
                        >
                        > Tappedin.org is one of Webheads' favorite platforms for text-chat,
                        > where we also meet every Sunday, as you know.
                        >
                        > I'd also like to suggest that you try "Skype WorldBridges" to
                        webcast
                        > any of your collaborative cross-cultural EFL sessions for the
                        Emirati
                        > ladies you are teaching, at present.
                        >
                        > Please count me in any of your current or future projects using
                        text
                        > or voice chat technologies.
                        >
                        > Best regards,
                        >
                        > Buth (from Ashrafiya, Beirut, Lebanon : )
                        >
                        > In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Azzam Premj wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Dear webheads
                        > >
                        > > Dear colleagues,
                        > >
                        > > I am interested in collaborating with some English teachers to
                        > > organize an international virtual meeting for my EFL students in
                        the
                        > > next couple of weeks. However, I don't know where I could
                        contact
                        > > some prospective online collaborators. Do you have any
                        suggestions?

                        > > I am quite flexible about the content for the virtual
                        interaction. I
                        > > would like my students to have a fun experience meeting some of
                        > > their English language learning peers online in real time.
                        > >
                        > > Here is a brief profile of my students:
                        > > • Emirati women
                        > > • Arabic speakers studying English and Microsoft applications
                        > > for IT
                        > > • about 20 – 40 years old
                        > > • working full-time
                        > > • some are mothers
                        > > • lower-intermediate level of English
                        > > • Dubai, United Arab Emirates (GMT + 4 hours)
                        > >
                        > > I was thinking of doing a short synchronous CMC meeting through
                        > > either http://www.elluminate.com/ or
                        http://tappedin.org/tappedin/
                        > > but am open to other suggestions. Please contact me if you are
                        > > interested or have some suggestions.
                        > >
                        > > Regards,
                        > > Azzam Premji
                        > > English faculty
                        > > Dubai Women's College
                        > > United Arab Emirates
                        > > http://dwc.hct.ac.ae/
                        > > e-mail: azzam_p@
                        > > azzam.premji@

                      • Ajarn Paul
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 14, 2006
                          Hi Azzam

                          I too am interested in your virtual meeting. My students are mostly female,
                          university undergraduates studying English and Business English. I am based
                          in Thailand and their level is ranges from beginner to pre-intermediate.

                          Paul Mountjoy
                          Uttaradit Rajabhat University
                          Thailand