presentation on web tools

  • Paddy Greenleaf
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 26, 2006
      Dear Teresa, and all, can I have your advice, pls?
      (Sorry, I posted to BAW2005 too.)
      Teresa and I are doing a presentation in a public unversity in March
      on web tools in EFL (more info. later! Will be counting on webheads
      to be there!!). I'm only used to working in a small school with no
      firewalls etc, and therefore no obstacle to software, YM or other
      tools. I'm going to speak to the IT people at the uni soon, but from
      your experience what kind of programmes may cause probs to univ.
      internet security - and what answesr can I give the IT team to calm
      their fears about:
      blogger.com
      podomatic.com
      YM/Msn messenger
      skype
      Tapped In
      Alado
      Learning Times

      - any other sites Webheads often use? (Not finally decided on what
      we'll need on the day, but want to cover options!)

      (Teresa just so yu know - we have an IT lab with 15 work ststions to
      do the sesion in and a data projector. What other equipment should I
      ask for? Speakers to amplify the sound from our presenters' laptops?
      anything else?)
      Thanks
      Paddy
    • vstevens@emirates.net.ae
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 26, 2006
        I always ask the techies at the place i'm going to present to try out
        the url's i'm going to use IN THE EXACT LOCATION I'M GOING TO USE THEM
        and tell me if they can access the chats there (not just reach the
        urls). I then go myself to the exact location and try prior to the
        event, if possible, on the computer I'm going to use, if possible. If
        sites are unreachable, the solution is often to give you an IP address
        that will get you around the firewall. Network admins usually have a
        few of these in the deck of aces they keep up their sleeves.

        Good luck,

        From: Paddy Greenleaf <op112698d@...>
        Date: Thursday, January 26, 2006 11:51 pm
        Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] presentation on web tools

        > Dear Teresa, and all, can I have your advice, pls?
        > (Sorry, I posted to BAW2005 too.)
        > Teresa and I are doing a presentation in a public unversity in
        > March
        > on web tools in EFL (more info. later! Will be counting on
        > webheads
        > to be there!!). I'm only used to working in a small school with
        > no
        > firewalls etc, and therefore no obstacle to software, YM or other
        > tools. I'm going to speak to the IT people at the uni soon, but
        > from
        > your experience what kind of programmes may cause probs to univ.
        > internet security - and what answesr can I give the IT team to
        > calm
        > their fears about:
        > blogger.com
        > podomatic.com
        > YM/Msn messenger
        > skype
        > Tapped In
        > Alado
        > Learning Times
        >
        > - any other sites Webheads often use? (Not finally decided on what
        > we'll need on the day, but want to cover options!)
        >
        > (Teresa just so yu know - we have an IT lab with 15 work ststions
        > do the sesion in and a data projector. What other equipment should
        > ask for? Speakers to amplify the sound from our presenters'
        > laptops?
        > anything else?)
        > Thanks
        > Paddy
        >

        > For more information:

        > extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings,
        > please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the
        > reply - Thanks!!
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • CJones
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 27, 2006
          Hi, Paddy, and all,

          Last fall was the first time I presented using a variety of tools,
          similar to Paddy's, and was solely responsible for getting everything
          to work. I've had some of those programs on my work and home
          computers for a long time, so I'd forgotten a lot about uploading and
          setting preferences. I got a technician at my college to help me
          upload everything on a different computer. (You have to
          have "administrative" privileges at my college to upload anything on
          any computer, so I couldn't have done it alone.) Later, I also had a
          laptop from the college set up to take to the conference and went
          through it all again. Thus when I got to the conference, I knew
          exactly what I needed and wanted to check out. There was
          a "rehearsal" the night before my presentation, where I was able to
          upload and check out all the programs. Rita was online at that time
          to help check out the sound. Everything then went smoothly during the
          presentation.

          Hope this helps.

          Chris Jones

          http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.ht

          > > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any
          other
          > > extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings,
          > > please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the
          > > reply - Thanks!!
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • CJones
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 27, 2006
            Hi, all,

            Someone just sent me an email message with this same subject
            (including evonline 2002_webheads) which contains only an attachment.
            I don't recognize the name of the person, so I'm assuming it's spam
            and possibly a virus. I'm going to delete it.

            I believe the messages in this group are available to the general
            public, so be careful, fellow Webheads.

            Chris Jones

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "CJones"
            <edtec2002@y...> wrote:

            > Hi, Paddy, and all,
            >
            > Last fall was the first time I presented using a variety of tools,
            > similar to Paddy's, and was solely responsible for getting
            everything
            > to work. I've had some of those programs on my work and home
            > computers for a long time, so I'd forgotten a lot about uploading
            and
            > setting preferences. I got a technician at my college to help me
            > upload everything on a different computer. (You have to
            > have "administrative" privileges at my college to upload anything
            on
            > any computer, so I couldn't have done it alone.) Later, I also had
            > laptop from the college set up to take to the conference and went
            > through it all again. Thus when I got to the conference, I knew
            > exactly what I needed and wanted to check out. There was
            > a "rehearsal" the night before my presentation, where I was able to
            > upload and check out all the programs. Rita was online at that time
            > to help check out the sound. Everything then went smoothly during
            the
            > presentation.
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Chris Jones
          • pgreenleaf
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 30, 2006
              Dear Chris, thank you - valuable advice!
              Paddy
              in Portugal

            • pgreenleaf
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 31, 2006
                Thanks a lot for the advice Vance - this sort of thing is exactly what I needed - the questions I need to ask!
                Paddy

              • Maria Jordano
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 23, 2006
                  Dear Vance,

                  I didn't mean to tell you anything about this because I know you are very busy and you could feel oblied, but on the other hand I feel bad If I don't tell you. Buth has already accepted and I am waiting for you know.

                  Finally I am decided to do my reaseach for my thesis with my own tourism students...!!! Is it posible to work with some of your students in collaboration with my students? They will only need to be asked by my student and interact with them via IM (using chat and voice at the end) and forum. Things are being very slow because this is tremendously new for my students and for the National Distance University of Spain (UNED) in general, believe me... I will cross all my fingers because, though the project is not very innovative at all, for this context it is...

                  The idea is to create "subgroups" within the platform that we will use and each subgroup will be form by my students and one-more of you students.

                  1st group= Spanish+Taiwan (possible)
                  2nd group=Spanish+Kuwait (Confirmed)
                  3rd group=Spanish+Hawaii (Confirmed)
                  4th group=Spanish+Abu Dhabi (possible)

                  The idea is to gather four different countries with different accents and exotic culture for Spanish people working at the same time, since my students are students of tourism and I would like they could communicate with people with other accents. I all give you more details later if you want to take part...

                  The only thing I would ask your students is to be added as new contact on my students messenger so that they could be asked about the things I will ask my students to do. In the case they could, I would need those 4-5 students from you could tell me the time they usually are connected. It is not time consuming at all. Anyway If you don't have time, tell me and I will try to find another.

                  Kind regards,

                  María

                  www.mariajordano.com

                • Maria Jordano
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 23, 2006
                    Oppps.... Ovbiously that was a private message. I asked these three people because I know them well and they teaching in more or less "exotic" place for us, but if any of you from Asia, Africa, Middle East,etc... are interested, you are also welcome!

                    Kind regards,

                    María

                    www.mariajordano.com

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 23, 2006
                      Maria,
                      If Vance is not able to do this, our University is also in the UAE. We have a Foundation Program here in Ras Al Khaimah at George Mason University. Our lab is already set up with yahoo messenger and webcams. The students in our program are from across the Middle East.

                      Even though you say this is not innovative, I would certainly say that it is. It is a wonderful experience for your students' learning purposes.
                      Rae

[...]

                      When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous