Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Dennis: Not getting what I see

  • djn@dennisnewson.de
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
      Most helpful, Heather, though I've yet to put your instructions into practice. My intuition
      that "background" is a web feature, though that is not clear in WORD, and hard to print
      seems to have been correct.

      My son is actually using a firm I have found him to do the publishing, But part of the
      deal is that you give them a finished electronic version. That's where I come in....

      Dennis

      Off to try.
    • Andreas Büsing
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
        Hello Dennis,

        I suppose you have a German version of Word 2003.

        You have to activate: print background colours and pictures: (Hintergrund
        und Bilder)

        And that’s the way…

        Open Word and your document:

        Go to “EXTRAS”

        Go to “OPTIONEN”

        Go to “DRUCKEN”

        and check the box “Hintergrundfarben und -bilder”

        Have a look at the screenshot which I mailed as PM before.

        Save / OK and print…

        Have a nice day,

        Andreas
        ----------------
        Most helpful, Heather, though I've yet to put your instructions into
        practice. My intuition
        that "background" is a web feature, though that is not clear in WORD, and
        hard to print
        seems to have been correct.

        My son is actually using a firm I have found him to do the publishing, But
        part of the
        deal is that you give them a finished electronic version. That's where I
        come in....

        Dennis

        Off to try.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • djn@dennisnewson.de
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
          Heather,

          ONLY if you have the time. (Keeping on list in case anyone else is struggling with same
          problem).
          I couldn't follow your DRAW etc. procedure because all the options are blanked out.

          Let me reduce to problem to:

          How can you get WORD or a browser to print out a text backed with a colour and
          texture chosen in WORD? (I've chosen the hessian option, lightish brown, coarse fabric
          - a great background - on screen in the web layout view.

          The WordArt and the photo are printed, but the former in black and white.

          In case it is a clue - a screenshot captures all the colour in print-out.

          A would-be webhead

          Dennis
        • Andreas Büsing
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
            Dennis,

            Please read your mails and my posting.

            Andreas

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
              I want to let the list know about a shining example of a webheader's willingness to help.
              Just before Christmas Andreas, whom I'd only met on line, but who happens to live one
              hour by train from me here in Osnabrueck, North Germany, travelled here and back to
              spend a few hours initiating me into the use of Audacity!!

              Once more - thank you, Andreas.

              -----

              I got your mail, but seemed to have immediately lost it.... after resorting, I've found it.
              (How useful screenshots are.).

              Actually, I have an English version of WORD, ...and when I go to Tools, options, print,
              *** include with doc, background colour and pictures just aren't there!! Definitely not.
              Only:

              document properties
              field codes
              hidden text
              drawing objects.

              Does this imply something did not get installed? (I run Windows XP and Word 2002).

              Dennis
            • Michael Coghlan
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                At 09:52 PM 4/01/2006, you wrote:
                >I want to let the list know about a shining example of a webheader's
                >willingness to help.
                >Just before Christmas Andreas, whom I'd only met on line, but who
                >happens to live one
                >hour by train from me here in Osnabrueck, North Germany, travelled
                >here and back to
                >spend a few hours initiating me into the use of Audacity!!
                >
                >Once more - thank you, Andreas.

                Fantastic! I wish Andreas lived near me - feel like dropping down to
                Australia Andreas? ;-)

                - Michael.

              • Andreas Büsing
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Sorry,

                  But I run Word 2003 in a German version...

                  So let us look for a first aid soloution:

                  Please check the online help of WORD -hidden behind the question mark-.
                  Keywords for your search are: background + printing (maybe + enable)

                  It all works without problems in WORD 2003 I printed the page you posted...
                  maybe someone else is running a 2002 version and can help out.

                  I will try to find a different soloution...

                  Speak soon

                  Andreas

                  -----
                  Actually, I have an English version of WORD, ...and when I go to Tools,
                  options, print,
                  *** include with doc, background colour and pictures just aren't there!!
                  Definitely not.
                  Only:

                  document properties
                  field codes
                  hidden text
                  drawing objects.

                  Does this imply something did not get installed? (I run Windows XP and Word
                  2002).
                • ageing_geek
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                    Dennis,

                    I'm not certain I've had enough coffee (it's 6:16 a.m. here) to give
                    you a completely coherent answer, but from the Help file in Word
                    2003 I found this:

                    |My document background doesn't print.
                    |
                    |By default, Microsoft Word does not print document backgrounds that
                    |you create by using the Background command on the Format menu. If
                    |you want to print document backgrounds, you can change this
                    |setting. To do so, click Options on the Tools menu. On the Print
                    |tab, select the Background colors and images check box.

                    You might want to search your 2002 Help menu for "printing
                    background" and see if they have a different set of directions for
                    you.

                    As for the "Draw" business, if you are dealing with a "picture"
                    rather than a "drawing" (in MicroSpeak), the directions are slightly
                    different. Try right-clicking on the item (background, picture,
                    WordArt) and select Order.

                    Hope this helps,
                    Heather

                  • djn@dennisnewson.de
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                      Andreas writes:

                      "Sorry,

                      But I run Word 2003 in a German version...

                      So let us look for a first aid solution: "

                      Andreas sent me off to online help. It says:

                      "Document backgrounds are designed to be viewed on the screen and not printed.
                      The background that you create by using the Background command on the
                      Format menu will not print. To add printable background, borders, or shading to
                      your page, use the Printed Watermark command......

                      The trouble is, my printed watermark option is faded out.

                      I think this is all quite a good example of what puts one off. Not being able to
                      straightforwardly print what you see is completely unintuitive.

                      Dennis

                    • djn@dennisnewson.de
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                        From what Heather and Andreas write it begins to look as if there is an improvement in
                        WORD v.2003 as compared with my v. 2002 which allows one to print background and
                        colour.

                        Dennis
                      • Andreas Büsing
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                          Sorry Dennis,

                          It looks like we are not a real help today...

                          My problem is that I can't really follow because I've never used Word
                          2002...

                          But have a look here: < http://snipurl.com/l9ym>

                          Let us know if this helped!

                          Andreas
                          -----

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                            Thanks for the reference, Andreas. I'm stuck (and will now abandon this problem)
                            because the required option is blended out. I seem to have stumbled across a known
                            problem, though. See:

                            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906306

                            Dennis