Re: Dennis: Not getting what I see

  • ageing_geek
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
      Dennis,

      When you are in Word and use the Format-->Background command, Word automatically
      converts your document into a web document. That's why you got some oddities when you
      tried to print.

      I haven't figured out a way to use the same page for a printed document _and_ a web
      page, so my work-around is to create two different files for the page. You can create a
      graphic background (Insert-->Picture-->From File) to use in your Word document, then
      resize it to fill the page (or tile it if resizing doesn't look right). You will need to send your
      new background to the back using the Draw-->Order-->Send to Back command, then
      you should be able to see your WordArt and picture. You can resize your picture
      accordingly, and then get it to print out as WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).

      What application are you planning on using to publish to the web?

      Good luck,
      Heather

    • raedithr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
        I have just read in Techlearning about creating desktop shortcuts to websites. I had created shortcuts before to folders but not to the net. I thought this was a cool discovery for me. The process is the same:
        right click on the desktop, select new>shortcut, type in the URL, Name the shortcut, and finish. A real timesaver. Rae

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
          Another great tool is called "web whacking." It is particularly
          useful when you want to show your students specific pages and have a
          temperamental (or non-existant) Internet connection.

          Set up a folder to hold your whacked pages someplace where you
          will easily be able to find it again. When you find a page you want
          to keep, in Internet Explorer go to File-->Save As and save the page
          in your Whacked folder. Most of the time you will get a complete
          copy of the page. I'm fairly certain you can do the same in other
          browsers, but I don't have the commands in my memory.

          When you are ready to show the page, start your browser and go to
          File-->Open. Click the Browse button, navigate to your Whacked
          folder and double-click on the page you want to share. This is also
          very useful when doing in-service for other teachers, and was a life-
          saver when I was browsing for Christmas gifts online :-) No need for
          an Internet connection when I wanted to review the various items I
          thought were "definite possibilities" for friends!

          Happy (web-)hunting,
          Heather

        • djn@dennisnewson.de
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
            Most helpful, Heather, though I've yet to put your instructions into practice. My intuition
            that "background" is a web feature, though that is not clear in WORD, and hard to print
            seems to have been correct.

            My son is actually using a firm I have found him to do the publishing, But part of the
            deal is that you give them a finished electronic version. That's where I come in....

            Dennis

            Off to try.
          • Andreas Büsing
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
              Hello Dennis,

              I suppose you have a German version of Word 2003.

              You have to activate: print background colours and pictures: (Hintergrund
              und Bilder)

              And that’s the way…

              Open Word and your document:

              Go to “EXTRAS”

              Go to “OPTIONEN”

              Go to “DRUCKEN”

              and check the box “Hintergrundfarben und -bilder”

              Have a look at the screenshot which I mailed as PM before.

              Save / OK and print…

              Have a nice day,

              Andreas
              ----------------
              Most helpful, Heather, though I've yet to put your instructions into
              practice. My intuition
              that "background" is a web feature, though that is not clear in WORD, and
              hard to print
              seems to have been correct.

              My son is actually using a firm I have found him to do the publishing, But
              part of the
              deal is that you give them a finished electronic version. That's where I
              come in....

              Dennis

              Off to try.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • djn@dennisnewson.de
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                Heather,

                ONLY if you have the time. (Keeping on list in case anyone else is struggling with same
                problem).
                I couldn't follow your DRAW etc. procedure because all the options are blanked out.

                Let me reduce to problem to:

                How can you get WORD or a browser to print out a text backed with a colour and
                texture chosen in WORD? (I've chosen the hessian option, lightish brown, coarse fabric
                - a great background - on screen in the web layout view.

                The WordArt and the photo are printed, but the former in black and white.

                In case it is a clue - a screenshot captures all the colour in print-out.

                A would-be webhead

                Dennis
              • Andreas Büsing
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Dennis,

                  Please read your mails and my posting.

                  Andreas

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                    I want to let the list know about a shining example of a webheader's willingness to help.
                    Just before Christmas Andreas, whom I'd only met on line, but who happens to live one
                    hour by train from me here in Osnabrueck, North Germany, travelled here and back to
                    spend a few hours initiating me into the use of Audacity!!

                    Once more - thank you, Andreas.

                    -----

                    I got your mail, but seemed to have immediately lost it.... after resorting, I've found it.
                    (How useful screenshots are.).

                    Actually, I have an English version of WORD, ...and when I go to Tools, options, print,
                    *** include with doc, background colour and pictures just aren't there!! Definitely not.
                    Only:

                    document properties
                    field codes
                    hidden text
                    drawing objects.

                    Does this imply something did not get installed? (I run Windows XP and Word 2002).

                    Dennis
                  • Michael Coghlan
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                      At 09:52 PM 4/01/2006, you wrote:
                      >I want to let the list know about a shining example of a webheader's
                      >willingness to help.
                      >Just before Christmas Andreas, whom I'd only met on line, but who
                      >happens to live one
                      >hour by train from me here in Osnabrueck, North Germany, travelled
                      >here and back to
                      >spend a few hours initiating me into the use of Audacity!!
                      >
                      >Once more - thank you, Andreas.

                      Fantastic! I wish Andreas lived near me - feel like dropping down to
                      Australia Andreas? ;-)

                      - Michael.

                    • Andreas Büsing
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                        Sorry,

                        But I run Word 2003 in a German version...

                        So let us look for a first aid soloution:

                        Please check the online help of WORD -hidden behind the question mark-.
                        Keywords for your search are: background + printing (maybe + enable)

                        It all works without problems in WORD 2003 I printed the page you posted...
                        maybe someone else is running a 2002 version and can help out.

                        I will try to find a different soloution...

                        Speak soon

                        Andreas

                        -----

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                          Dennis,

                          I'm not certain I've had enough coffee (it's 6:16 a.m. here) to give
                          you a completely coherent answer, but from the Help file in Word
                          2003 I found this:

                          |My document background doesn't print.
                          |
                          |By default, Microsoft Word does not print document backgrounds that
                          |you create by using the Background command on the Format menu. If
                          |you want to print document backgrounds, you can change this
                          |setting. To do so, click Options on the Tools menu. On the Print
                          |tab, select the Background colors and images check box.

                          You might want to search your 2002 Help menu for "printing
                          background" and see if they have a different set of directions for
                          you.

                          As for the "Draw" business, if you are dealing with a "picture"
                          rather than a "drawing" (in MicroSpeak), the directions are slightly
                          different. Try right-clicking on the item (background, picture,
                          WordArt) and select Order.

                          Hope this helps,

                        • djn@dennisnewson.de
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                            Andreas writes:

                            "Sorry,

                            But I run Word 2003 in a German version...

                            So let us look for a first aid solution: "

                            Andreas sent me off to online help. It says:

                            "Document backgrounds are designed to be viewed on the screen and not printed.
                            The background that you create by using the Background command on the
                            Format menu will not print. To add printable background, borders, or shading to
                            your page, use the Printed Watermark command......

                            The trouble is, my printed watermark option is faded out.

                            I think this is all quite a good example of what puts one off. Not being able to
                            straightforwardly print what you see is completely unintuitive.

                            Dennis

                          • djn@dennisnewson.de
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                              From what Heather and Andreas write it begins to look as if there is an improvement in
                              WORD v.2003 as compared with my v. 2002 which allows one to print background and
                              colour.

                              Dennis
                            • Andreas Büsing
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                                Sorry Dennis,

                                It looks like we are not a real help today...

                                My problem is that I can't really follow because I've never used Word
                                2002...

                                But have a look here: < http://snipurl.com/l9ym>

                                Let us know if this helped!

                                Andreas
                                -----

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                                  Thanks for the reference, Andreas. I'm stuck (and will now abandon this problem)
                                  because the required option is blended out. I seem to have stumbled across a known
                                  problem, though. See:

                                  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906306

                                  Dennis