Re: how to say Buthaina

  • Buthaina Al-Othman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
      Hi Tom and all,

      Please go to the URL below to listen to me saying my name :)

      < http://buthaina.podomatic.com/ >

      Hope this helps..

      Thanks for your message with the useful info. on pronunciation from
      your program, truespel.

      Buth
      -----------

      In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Zurinskas"
      <truespel@h...> wrote:

      > How to pronounce "Buthaina".
      >
      > The "b" can be said only 1 way.
      > The "u" can be said 6 ways, as in "up" "human" "turn" "super" "put"
      > "business"
      > The "th" can be 2 ways, as in "the" and "thin"
      > The "ai" can be 5 ways, as in "pain" "said" "air" "Taiwan" "mountain"
      > The "na" most likely is 1 way as in "nut"
      >
      > A tilde shows a sound in truespel
      > In truespel these sounds are ~b in ~bat, ~u in up, ~yue in ~hyuemin,
      ~er in
      > ~tern, ~ue in ~sueper, ~oo in ~poot, ~i in biznis, ~th in ~the, ~thh in
      > ~thhin, ~ae in ~paen, ,~e as in ~sed, ~air as in ~pair, ~ie in
      Tiewwaan, ~i
      > in ~mountin, and ~nu in ~nut.
      >
      > So there's 60 (6x2x5) choices for pronunciation based on familiar
      tradspel
      > (traditional spelling) forms in USA English. Taking the most
      popular, the
      > pronunciation would be ~Buthaenu. Spelled this way the stress is on
      the
      > first syllable. Truespel moves stress to after a double consonant
      (except
      > for ~thh which becomes ~tthh when stressed). I assume stress is on the
      > second syllable, so it would be ~Butthaenu. However although the
      voiced
      > "th" is 4 times more popular than the unvoiced "th" ~th, in running
      text,
      > the unvoiced "th" ~thh is 4 times more popular in individual words.
      So in
      > terms of popularity it could be ~Butthhaenu, with stress on the
      tthhae, as
      > in the word "thank" ~thhaenk.
      >
      > To see this web site or any respelled in truespel go to truespel.com
      and hit
      > the converter.
      >
      > tz
      > creator of truespel
      >

      > Truespel Book One: Analysis of the Sounds (Phonemes) of USA English
      > http://www.authorhouse.com/bookstore/itemdetail.aspx?bookid=16593
      >
      > Convert English to truespel (USA accent) by copy/pasting at
      > truespel.com
      >
      > Spelling USA English sounds (phonemes)
      > (note: tilde ~ means phonetically spelled in truespel
      >
      > Truespel - 17 USA English vowels and sample trad words.
      > (all sample words here are identical in trad and truespel)
      >
      > ~a – pat ~ae - sundae ~aa – Saab
      > ~e – pet ~ee – see ~au – auger
      > ~i – pit ~ie – pie ~ou – out
      > ~oo – look ~oe – toe ~oi - void
      > ~u – up ~ue – blue ~air - air
      > ~er – her
      > ~or – or
      >
      > Truespel – 23 USA English consonants and sample trad words.
      > (Two words are spelled differently in truespel – ~thhin and ~vizhin)
      >
      > ~b – but ~l – let ~th - that
      > ~ch – chin ~m – men ~thh - thin
      > ~d – did ~n – nap ~v - van
      > ~f – fun ~p – pen ~w – wood
      > ~g – get ~r – run ~y - yes
      > ~h – hat ~s – sun ~z - zip
      > ~j – jam ~sh – ship ~zh – vision
      > ~k – kit ~t - toe
      >
      > ~q = one tongue tip flap ~rq = multiple tongue tip flaps
      > ~x = one tongue back flap ~kx = multiple tongue back flaps
      >

      > >From: Emma Miliani <emcdef@y...>
      > >To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Digest Number 1368
      > >Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 23:54:32 -0800 (PST)
      > >
      > >Dear Webheads; Best wishes for a Happy and Peaceful 2006 to every
      Webhead
      > >and I hope it is full of success..
      > > I was unable to see Buthaina's video clip.
      > > Emma Miliani
    • Tom Zurinskas
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
        Hi Buthaina,

        Looks good but I can't seem to make it play nor record there.

        tom z

      • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
          I got it to play and was able to hear Buth's voice again with the
          pronunciation of her name and a few words about herself. Although I
          tried to record/send a message back, it didn't "take" my comment. I
          would like to get this to work so that I can have the teacher trainees
          in my upcoming CALL Online course try it out, too. Help, Buth???!

          Christine
          Christine Bauer-Ramazani
          School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642
          Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595
          One Winooski Park
          Colchester, VT 05439-0253
          ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm
          web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/
          online CALL course: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-

        • djn@dennisnewson.de
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
            I could hear Buthaina, though I didn't try to record.

            Dennis
          • djn@dennisnewson.de
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
              Could it be that recorded comments go only to Buthaina and you only get copies if you
              have activated the RSS feed?

              Dennis
            • Renata Chylinski
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 10, 2006
                Dear Christine
                I cam accross your message and found out from your signature that you do
                online courses in CALL.
                The link though is not complete - can you provide me with the full
                address, please?
                Ta
                renata

                Renata Chylinski
                Flexible Learning Coordinator

                Monash University ELC, Australia
                CRICOS Provider: Monash University 0008C
                Monash International Pty Ltd 01857J

                http://muelc.monint.monash.edu.au/Staff/renata.html
                http://www.callcorner.com

              • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 11, 2006
                  Sure, Renata. Here it is in both long (probably wrapping into the next
                  line) and abbreviated version.

                  http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Onlin
                  e_demo.htm

                  http://tinyurl.com/4o7aq

                  The site above is a "demo" site but it has the pertinent info for the
                  current course, and you're welcome to check it out! We're about to
                  start again-Jan. 16-and I'm feverishly working to update everything!
                  This semester I have 4 students abroad-in Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Cyprus,
                  and Korea. Getting everyone together for chats will be a challenge!

                  Christine
                  Christine Bauer-Ramazani
                  School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642
                  Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595
                  One Winooski Park
                  Colchester, VT 05439-0253

                  web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/
                  online CALL course:
                  http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Onlin
                  e_demo.htm

                  I cam accross your message and found out from your signature that you do

                  online courses in CALL.
                  The link though is not complete - can you provide me with the full
                  address, please?
                  Ta
                  renata

                  Renata Chylinski
                  Flexible Learning Coordinator

                  Monash University ELC, Australia
                  CRICOS Provider: Monash University 0008C
                  Monash International Pty Ltd 01857J

                  http://muelc.monint.monash.edu.au/Staff/renata.html
                  http://www.callcorner.com

                  Bauer-Ramazani, Christine wrote:

                  > I got it to play and was able to hear Buth's voice again with the
                  > pronunciation of her name and a few words about herself. Although I
                  > tried to record/send a message back, it didn't "take" my comment. I
                  > would like to get this to work so that I can have the teacher trainees
                  > in my upcoming CALL Online course try it out, too. Help, Buth???!
                  >
                  > Christine
                  > Christine Bauer-Ramazani
                  > School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642
                  > Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595
                  > One Winooski Park
                  > Colchester, VT 05439-0253
                  > ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm
                  > web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/
                  > online CALL course: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-

                  cribe>

                  extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
                  delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
                  Thanks!!

                  Distance
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Distance+learning+education&w1=Dist
                  ance+learning+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distance+lear
                  ning&w4=Distance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+education+o
                  nline&w6=Distance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=6y6v_djNSdaM1ecjy-3eFg
                  > learning education

                  Accredited
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Accredited+distance+learning&w1=Dis
                  tance+learning+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distance+lea
                  rning&w4=Distance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+education+
                  online&w6=Distance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=of0oeRX6yZ8ksvvVWkX-y
                  w> distance learning

                  Distance
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Distance+learning&w1=Distance+learn
                  ing+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distance+learning&w4=Di
                  stance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+education+online&w6=D
                  istance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=yHQebwH5pCXTRwHW8XFLtg>
                  learning

                  Distance
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Distance+learning+master+degree&w1=
                  Distance+learning+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distance+
                  learning&w4=Distance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+educati
                  on+online&w6=Distance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=jZFGcqqm7jHprTWbBj
                  hR8A> learning master degree

                  Distance
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Distance+learning+education+online&
                  w1=Distance+learning+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distan
                  ce+learning&w4=Distance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+educ
                  ation+online&w6=Distance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=x-ua0nuUMofgddh
                  EqDTcEw> learning education online

                  Distance
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Distance+learning+schools&w1=Distan
                  ce+learning+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distance+learni
                  ng&w4=Distance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+education+onl
                  ine&w6=Distance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=glHqqh4e4BFhXZ21hjpclw>
                  learning schools

                  _____

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  * Visit your group "evonline2002_webheads
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads> " on the web.

                  cribe>

                  _____