how to say Buthaina

  • Tom Zurinskas
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
      How to pronounce "Buthaina".

      The "b" can be said only 1 way.
      The "u" can be said 6 ways, as in "up" "human" "turn" "super" "put"
      "business"
      The "th" can be 2 ways, as in "the" and "thin"
      The "ai" can be 5 ways, as in "pain" "said" "air" "Taiwan" "mountain"
      The "na" most likely is 1 way as in "nut"

      A tilde shows a sound in truespel
      In truespel these sounds are ~b in ~bat, ~u in up, ~yue in ~hyuemin, ~er in
      ~tern, ~ue in ~sueper, ~oo in ~poot, ~i in biznis, ~th in ~the, ~thh in
      ~thhin, ~ae in ~paen, ,~e as in ~sed, ~air as in ~pair, ~ie in Tiewwaan, ~i
      in ~mountin, and ~nu in ~nut.

      So there's 60 (6x2x5) choices for pronunciation based on familiar tradspel
      (traditional spelling) forms in USA English. Taking the most popular, the
      pronunciation would be ~Buthaenu. Spelled this way the stress is on the
      first syllable. Truespel moves stress to after a double consonant (except
      for ~thh which becomes ~tthh when stressed). I assume stress is on the
      second syllable, so it would be ~Butthaenu. However although the voiced
      "th" is 4 times more popular than the unvoiced "th" ~th, in running text,
      the unvoiced "th" ~thh is 4 times more popular in individual words. So in
      terms of popularity it could be ~Butthhaenu, with stress on the tthhae, as
      in the word "thank" ~thhaenk.

      To see this web site or any respelled in truespel go to truespel.com and hit
      the converter.

      tz
      creator of truespel

      Truespel Book One: Analysis of the Sounds (Phonemes) of USA English
      http://www.authorhouse.com/bookstore/itemdetail.aspx?bookid=16593

      Convert English to truespel (USA accent) by copy/pasting at
      truespel.com

      Spelling USA English sounds (phonemes)
      (note: tilde ~ means phonetically spelled in truespel

      Truespel - 17 USA English vowels and sample trad words.
      (all sample words here are identical in trad and truespel)

      ~a � pat ~ae - sundae ~aa � Saab
      ~e � pet ~ee � see ~au � auger
      ~i � pit ~ie � pie ~ou � out
      ~oo � look ~oe � toe ~oi - void
      ~u � up ~ue � blue ~air - air
      ~er � her
      ~or � or

      Truespel � 23 USA English consonants and sample trad words.
      (Two words are spelled differently in truespel � ~thhin and ~vizhin)

      ~b � but ~l � let ~th - that
      ~ch � chin ~m � men ~thh - thin
      ~d � did ~n � nap ~v - van
      ~f � fun ~p � pen ~w � wood
      ~g � get ~r � run ~y - yes
      ~h � hat ~s � sun ~z - zip
      ~j � jam ~sh � ship ~zh � vision
      ~k � kit ~t - toe

      ~q = one tongue tip flap ~rq = multiple tongue tip flaps
      ~x = one tongue back flap ~kx = multiple tongue back flaps

      >From: Emma Miliani <emcdef@...>
      >To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Digest Number 1368
      >Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 23:54:32 -0800 (PST)
      >
      >Dear Webheads; Best wishes for a Happy and Peaceful 2006 to every Webhead
      >and I hope it is full of success..
      > I was unable to see Buthaina's video clip.
      > Emma Miliani

      >For more information:

      >extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete
      >this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Buthaina Al-Othman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
        Hi Tom and all,

        Please go to the URL below to listen to me saying my name :)

        < http://buthaina.podomatic.com/ >

        Hope this helps..

        Thanks for your message with the useful info. on pronunciation from
        your program, truespel.

        Buth
        -----------

        In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Zurinskas"
        <truespel@h...> wrote:

> [...]
        > (Two words are spelled differently in truespel – ~thhin and ~vizhin)
        >
        > ~b – but ~l – let ~th - that
        > ~ch – chin ~m – men ~thh - thin
        > ~d – did ~n – nap ~v - van
        > ~f – fun ~p – pen ~w – wood
        > ~g – get ~r – run ~y - yes
        > ~h – hat ~s – sun ~z - zip
        > ~j – jam ~sh – ship ~zh – vision
        > ~k – kit ~t - toe
        >
        > ~q = one tongue tip flap ~rq = multiple tongue tip flaps
        > ~x = one tongue back flap ~kx = multiple tongue back flaps
        >

        > >From: Emma Miliani <emcdef@y...>
        > >To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Digest Number 1368
        > >Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 23:54:32 -0800 (PST)
        > >
        > >Dear Webheads; Best wishes for a Happy and Peaceful 2006 to every
        Webhead
        > >and I hope it is full of success..
        > > I was unable to see Buthaina's video clip.
      • Tom Zurinskas
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
          Hi Buthaina,

          Looks good but I can't seem to make it play nor record there.

          tom z

        • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
            I got it to play and was able to hear Buth's voice again with the
            pronunciation of her name and a few words about herself. Although I
            tried to record/send a message back, it didn't "take" my comment. I
            would like to get this to work so that I can have the teacher trainees
            in my upcoming CALL Online course try it out, too. Help, Buth???!

            Christine
            Christine Bauer-Ramazani
            School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642
            Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595
            One Winooski Park
            Colchester, VT 05439-0253
            ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm
            web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/
            online CALL course: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-

          • djn@dennisnewson.de
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
              I could hear Buthaina, though I didn't try to record.

              Dennis
            • djn@dennisnewson.de
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
                Could it be that recorded comments go only to Buthaina and you only get copies if you
                have activated the RSS feed?

                Dennis
              • Renata Chylinski
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 10, 2006
                  Dear Christine
                  I cam accross your message and found out from your signature that you do
                  online courses in CALL.
                  The link though is not complete - can you provide me with the full
                  address, please?
                  Ta
                  renata

                  Renata Chylinski
                  Flexible Learning Coordinator

                  Monash University ELC, Australia
                  CRICOS Provider: Monash University 0008C
                  Monash International Pty Ltd 01857J

                  http://muelc.monint.monash.edu.au/Staff/renata.html
                  http://www.callcorner.com

                • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 11, 2006
                    Sure, Renata. Here it is in both long (probably wrapping into the next
                    line) and abbreviated version.

                    http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Onlin
                    e_demo.htm

                    http://tinyurl.com/4o7aq

                    The site above is a "demo" site but it has the pertinent info for the
                    current course, and you're welcome to check it out! We're about to
                    start again-Jan. 16-and I'm feverishly working to update everything!
                    This semester I have 4 students abroad-in Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Cyprus,
                    and Korea. Getting everyone together for chats will be a challenge!

                    Christine
                    Christine Bauer-Ramazani
                    School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642
                    Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595
                    One Winooski Park
                    Colchester, VT 05439-0253

                    web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/
                    online CALL course:
                    http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Onlin
                    e_demo.htm

                    I cam accross your message and found out from your signature that you do

                    online courses in CALL.
                    The link though is not complete - can you provide me with the full
                    address, please?
                    Ta
                    renata

                    Renata Chylinski
                    Flexible Learning Coordinator

                    Monash University ELC, Australia
                    CRICOS Provider: Monash University 0008C
                    Monash International Pty Ltd 01857J

                    http://muelc.monint.monash.edu.au/Staff/renata.html
                    http://www.callcorner.com

                    Bauer-Ramazani, Christine wrote:

                    > I got it to play and was able to hear Buth's voice again with the
                    > pronunciation of her name and a few words about herself. Although I
                    > tried to record/send a message back, it didn't "take" my comment. I
                    > would like to get this to work so that I can have the teacher trainees
                    > in my upcoming CALL Online course try it out, too. Help, Buth???!
                    >
                    > Christine
                    > Christine Bauer-Ramazani
                    > School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642
                    > Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595
                    > One Winooski Park
                    > Colchester, VT 05439-0253
                    > ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm
                    > web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/
                    > online CALL course: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-

                    cribe>

                    extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
                    delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
                    Thanks!!

                    Distance
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Distance+learning+education&w1=Dist
                    ance+learning+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distance+lear
                    ning&w4=Distance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+education+o
                    nline&w6=Distance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=6y6v_djNSdaM1ecjy-3eFg
                    > learning education

                    Accredited
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Accredited+distance+learning&w1=Dis
                    tance+learning+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distance+lea
                    rning&w4=Distance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+education+
                    online&w6=Distance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=of0oeRX6yZ8ksvvVWkX-y
                    w> distance learning

                    Distance
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Distance+learning&w1=Distance+learn
                    ing+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distance+learning&w4=Di
                    stance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+education+online&w6=D
                    istance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=yHQebwH5pCXTRwHW8XFLtg>
                    learning

                    Distance
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Distance+learning+master+degree&w1=
                    Distance+learning+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distance+
                    learning&w4=Distance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+educati
                    on+online&w6=Distance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=jZFGcqqm7jHprTWbBj
                    hR8A> learning master degree

                    Distance
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Distance+learning+education+online&
                    w1=Distance+learning+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distan
                    ce+learning&w4=Distance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+educ
                    ation+online&w6=Distance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=x-ua0nuUMofgddh
                    EqDTcEw> learning education online

                    Distance
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Distance+learning+schools&w1=Distan
                    ce+learning+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distance+learni
                    ng&w4=Distance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+education+onl
                    ine&w6=Distance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=glHqqh4e4BFhXZ21hjpclw>
                    learning schools

                    _____

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    * Visit your group "evonline2002_webheads
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads> " on the web.

                    cribe>

                    _____