Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Dennis: Not getting what I see

  • djn@dennisnewson.de
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
      Dafne,

      Publisher does not seem to be part WindowsXP Professional (PC).

      Interesting that you mention web publishing and printing, because although I called it
      the cover of a brochure for short, it is actually the cover for a book (by a member of the
      family) that will be published both on the web and on real paper.

      I just can't understand why WORD allows one to create a coloured background and then
      not print it out.

      Dennis
    • ageing_geek
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
        Dennis,

        When you are in Word and use the Format-->Background command, Word automatically
        converts your document into a web document. That's why you got some oddities when you
        tried to print.

        I haven't figured out a way to use the same page for a printed document _and_ a web
        page, so my work-around is to create two different files for the page. You can create a
        graphic background (Insert-->Picture-->From File) to use in your Word document, then
        resize it to fill the page (or tile it if resizing doesn't look right). You will need to send your
        new background to the back using the Draw-->Order-->Send to Back command, then
        you should be able to see your WordArt and picture. You can resize your picture
        accordingly, and then get it to print out as WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).

        What application are you planning on using to publish to the web?

        Good luck,
        Heather

      • raedithr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
          I have just read in Techlearning about creating desktop shortcuts to websites. I had created shortcuts before to folders but not to the net. I thought this was a cool discovery for me. The process is the same:
          right click on the desktop, select new>shortcut, type in the URL, Name the shortcut, and finish. A real timesaver. Rae

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
            Another great tool is called "web whacking." It is particularly
            useful when you want to show your students specific pages and have a
            temperamental (or non-existant) Internet connection.

            Set up a folder to hold your whacked pages someplace where you
            will easily be able to find it again. When you find a page you want
            to keep, in Internet Explorer go to File-->Save As and save the page
            in your Whacked folder. Most of the time you will get a complete
            copy of the page. I'm fairly certain you can do the same in other
            browsers, but I don't have the commands in my memory.

            When you are ready to show the page, start your browser and go to
            File-->Open. Click the Browse button, navigate to your Whacked
            folder and double-click on the page you want to share. This is also
            very useful when doing in-service for other teachers, and was a life-
            saver when I was browsing for Christmas gifts online :-) No need for
            an Internet connection when I wanted to review the various items I
            thought were "definite possibilities" for friends!

            Happy (web-)hunting,
            Heather

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
              Most helpful, Heather, though I've yet to put your instructions into practice. My intuition
              that "background" is a web feature, though that is not clear in WORD, and hard to print
              seems to have been correct.

              My son is actually using a firm I have found him to do the publishing, But part of the
              deal is that you give them a finished electronic version. That's where I come in....

              Dennis

              Off to try.
            • Andreas Büsing
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                Hello Dennis,

                I suppose you have a German version of Word 2003.

                You have to activate: print background colours and pictures: (Hintergrund
                und Bilder)

                And that’s the way…

                Open Word and your document:

                Go to “EXTRAS”

                Go to “OPTIONEN”

                Go to “DRUCKEN”

                and check the box “Hintergrundfarben und -bilder”

                Have a look at the screenshot which I mailed as PM before.

                Save / OK and print…

                Have a nice day,

                Andreas
                ----------------
                Most helpful, Heather, though I've yet to put your instructions into
                practice. My intuition
                that "background" is a web feature, though that is not clear in WORD, and
                hard to print
                seems to have been correct.

                My son is actually using a firm I have found him to do the publishing, But
                part of the
                deal is that you give them a finished electronic version. That's where I
                come in....

                Dennis

                Off to try.

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • djn@dennisnewson.de
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Heather,

                  ONLY if you have the time. (Keeping on list in case anyone else is struggling with same
                  problem).
                  I couldn't follow your DRAW etc. procedure because all the options are blanked out.

                  Let me reduce to problem to:

                  How can you get WORD or a browser to print out a text backed with a colour and
                  texture chosen in WORD? (I've chosen the hessian option, lightish brown, coarse fabric
                  - a great background - on screen in the web layout view.

                  The WordArt and the photo are printed, but the former in black and white.

                  In case it is a clue - a screenshot captures all the colour in print-out.

                  A would-be webhead

                  Dennis
                • Andreas Büsing
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                    Dennis,

                    Please read your mails and my posting.

                    Andreas

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                      I want to let the list know about a shining example of a webheader's willingness to help.
                      Just before Christmas Andreas, whom I'd only met on line, but who happens to live one
                      hour by train from me here in Osnabrueck, North Germany, travelled here and back to
                      spend a few hours initiating me into the use of Audacity!!

                      Once more - thank you, Andreas.

                      -----

                      I got your mail, but seemed to have immediately lost it.... after resorting, I've found it.
                      (How useful screenshots are.).

                      Actually, I have an English version of WORD, ...and when I go to Tools, options, print,
                      *** include with doc, background colour and pictures just aren't there!! Definitely not.
                      Only:

                      document properties
                      field codes
                      hidden text
                      drawing objects.

                      Does this imply something did not get installed? (I run Windows XP and Word 2002).

                      Dennis
                    • Michael Coghlan
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                        At 09:52 PM 4/01/2006, you wrote:
                        >I want to let the list know about a shining example of a webheader's
                        >willingness to help.
                        >Just before Christmas Andreas, whom I'd only met on line, but who
                        >happens to live one
                        >hour by train from me here in Osnabrueck, North Germany, travelled
                        >here and back to
                        >spend a few hours initiating me into the use of Audacity!!
                        >
                        >Once more - thank you, Andreas.

                        Fantastic! I wish Andreas lived near me - feel like dropping down to
                        Australia Andreas? ;-)

                        - Michael.

                      • Andreas Büsing
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                          Sorry,

                          But I run Word 2003 in a German version...

                          So let us look for a first aid soloution:

                          Please check the online help of WORD -hidden behind the question mark-.
                          Keywords for your search are: background + printing (maybe + enable)

                          It all works without problems in WORD 2003 I printed the page you posted...
                          maybe someone else is running a 2002 version and can help out.

                          I will try to find a different soloution...

                          Speak soon

                          Andreas

                          -----

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                            Dennis,

                            I'm not certain I've had enough coffee (it's 6:16 a.m. here) to give
                            you a completely coherent answer, but from the Help file in Word
                            2003 I found this:

                            |My document background doesn't print.
                            |
                            |By default, Microsoft Word does not print document backgrounds that
                            |you create by using the Background command on the Format menu. If
                            |you want to print document backgrounds, you can change this
                            |setting. To do so, click Options on the Tools menu. On the Print
                            |tab, select the Background colors and images check box.

                            You might want to search your 2002 Help menu for "printing
                            background" and see if they have a different set of directions for
                            you.

                            As for the "Draw" business, if you are dealing with a "picture"
                            rather than a "drawing" (in MicroSpeak), the directions are slightly
                            different. Try right-clicking on the item (background, picture,
                            WordArt) and select Order.

                            Hope this helps,

                          • djn@dennisnewson.de
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                              Andreas writes:

                              "Sorry,

                              But I run Word 2003 in a German version...

                              So let us look for a first aid solution: "

                              Andreas sent me off to online help. It says:

                              "Document backgrounds are designed to be viewed on the screen and not printed.
                              The background that you create by using the Background command on the
                              Format menu will not print. To add printable background, borders, or shading to
                              your page, use the Printed Watermark command......

                              The trouble is, my printed watermark option is faded out.

                              I think this is all quite a good example of what puts one off. Not being able to
                              straightforwardly print what you see is completely unintuitive.

                              Dennis

                            • djn@dennisnewson.de
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                                From what Heather and Andreas write it begins to look as if there is an improvement in
                                WORD v.2003 as compared with my v. 2002 which allows one to print background and
                                colour.

                                Dennis
                              • Andreas Büsing
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                                  Sorry Dennis,

                                  It looks like we are not a real help today...

                                  My problem is that I can't really follow because I've never used Word
                                  2002...

                                  But have a look here: < http://snipurl.com/l9ym>

                                  Let us know if this helped!

                                  Andreas
                                  -----

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                                    Thanks for the reference, Andreas. I'm stuck (and will now abandon this problem)
                                    because the required option is blended out. I seem to have stumbled across a known
                                    problem, though. See:

                                    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906306

                                    Dennis