Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Dennis: Not getting what I see

  • Dafne
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
      Hi Dennis,

      Happy New Year!

      I use Publisher (comes with Office) to create brochures. There are different templates, and you can create your own, too. The quality is great for printing and for Web publishing. Take a look at this one I created some years ago:

      http://www.geocities.com/dygonza/curso-uned/folleto.html

      Best,

      Daf

      djn@... wrote:
      Dear webheads,

      Enjoying the New Year? :-)

      I've just created a cover page for a brochure in Word using WordArt, a textured
      background and an inserted photo.

      1. When I print, I only get black and white. The textured background is not there.
      2. The photograqph on the print-out does niot relate to its size (length) on the screen.
      It is shorter.

      Help, please?

      Dennis

      Distance learning education Accredited distance learning Distance learning Distance learning master degree Distance learning education online Distance learning schools

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
        Dafne,

        Publisher does not seem to be part WindowsXP Professional (PC).

        Interesting that you mention web publishing and printing, because although I called it
        the cover of a brochure for short, it is actually the cover for a book (by a member of the
        family) that will be published both on the web and on real paper.

        I just can't understand why WORD allows one to create a coloured background and then
        not print it out.

        Dennis
      • ageing_geek
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
          Dennis,

          When you are in Word and use the Format-->Background command, Word automatically
          converts your document into a web document. That's why you got some oddities when you
          tried to print.

          I haven't figured out a way to use the same page for a printed document _and_ a web
          page, so my work-around is to create two different files for the page. You can create a
          graphic background (Insert-->Picture-->From File) to use in your Word document, then
          resize it to fill the page (or tile it if resizing doesn't look right). You will need to send your
          new background to the back using the Draw-->Order-->Send to Back command, then
          you should be able to see your WordArt and picture. You can resize your picture
          accordingly, and then get it to print out as WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).

          What application are you planning on using to publish to the web?

          Good luck,
          Heather

        • raedithr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
            I have just read in Techlearning about creating desktop shortcuts to websites. I had created shortcuts before to folders but not to the net. I thought this was a cool discovery for me. The process is the same:
            right click on the desktop, select new>shortcut, type in the URL, Name the shortcut, and finish. A real timesaver. Rae

            djn@... wrote:
            Dear webheads,

            Enjoying the New Year? :-)

            I've just created a cover page for a brochure in Word using WordArt, a textured
            background and an inserted photo.

            1. When I print, I only get black and white. The textured background is not
            there.
            2. The photograqph on the print-out does niot relate to its size (length) on
            the screen.
            It is shorter.

            Help, please?

            Dennis

            When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous
            text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and
            any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

            Distance learning education Accredited distance learning Distance
            learning Distance learning master degree Distance learning education
            online Distance learning schools

            When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous
            text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and
            any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • ageing_geek
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
              Another great tool is called "web whacking." It is particularly
              useful when you want to show your students specific pages and have a
              temperamental (or non-existant) Internet connection.

              Set up a folder to hold your whacked pages someplace where you
              will easily be able to find it again. When you find a page you want
              to keep, in Internet Explorer go to File-->Save As and save the page
              in your Whacked folder. Most of the time you will get a complete
              copy of the page. I'm fairly certain you can do the same in other
              browsers, but I don't have the commands in my memory.

              When you are ready to show the page, start your browser and go to
              File-->Open. Click the Browse button, navigate to your Whacked
              folder and double-click on the page you want to share. This is also
              very useful when doing in-service for other teachers, and was a life-
              saver when I was browsing for Christmas gifts online :-) No need for
              an Internet connection when I wanted to review the various items I
              thought were "definite possibilities" for friends!

              Happy (web-)hunting,
              Heather

            • djn@dennisnewson.de
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                Most helpful, Heather, though I've yet to put your instructions into practice. My intuition
                that "background" is a web feature, though that is not clear in WORD, and hard to print
                seems to have been correct.

                My son is actually using a firm I have found him to do the publishing, But part of the
                deal is that you give them a finished electronic version. That's where I come in....

                Dennis

                Off to try.
              • Andreas Büsing
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Hello Dennis,

                  I suppose you have a German version of Word 2003.

                  You have to activate: print background colours and pictures: (Hintergrund
                  und Bilder)

                  And that’s the way…

                  Open Word and your document:

                  Go to “EXTRAS”

                  Go to “OPTIONEN”

                  Go to “DRUCKEN”

                  and check the box “Hintergrundfarben und -bilder”

                  Have a look at the screenshot which I mailed as PM before.

                  Save / OK and print…

                  Have a nice day,

                  Andreas
                  ----------------

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                    Heather,

                    ONLY if you have the time. (Keeping on list in case anyone else is struggling with same
                    problem).
                    I couldn't follow your DRAW etc. procedure because all the options are blanked out.

                    Let me reduce to problem to:

                    How can you get WORD or a browser to print out a text backed with a colour and
                    texture chosen in WORD? (I've chosen the hessian option, lightish brown, coarse fabric
                    - a great background - on screen in the web layout view.

                    The WordArt and the photo are printed, but the former in black and white.

                    In case it is a clue - a screenshot captures all the colour in print-out.

                    A would-be webhead

                    Dennis
                  • Andreas Büsing
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                      Dennis,

                      Please read your mails and my posting.

                      Andreas

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                        I want to let the list know about a shining example of a webheader's willingness to help.
                        Just before Christmas Andreas, whom I'd only met on line, but who happens to live one
                        hour by train from me here in Osnabrueck, North Germany, travelled here and back to
                        spend a few hours initiating me into the use of Audacity!!

                        Once more - thank you, Andreas.

                        -----

                        I got your mail, but seemed to have immediately lost it.... after resorting, I've found it.
                        (How useful screenshots are.).

                        Actually, I have an English version of WORD, ...and when I go to Tools, options, print,
                        *** include with doc, background colour and pictures just aren't there!! Definitely not.
                        Only:

                        document properties
                        field codes
                        hidden text
                        drawing objects.

                        Does this imply something did not get installed? (I run Windows XP and Word 2002).

                        Dennis
                      • Michael Coghlan
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                          At 09:52 PM 4/01/2006, you wrote:
                          >I want to let the list know about a shining example of a webheader's
                          >willingness to help.
                          >Just before Christmas Andreas, whom I'd only met on line, but who
                          >happens to live one
                          >hour by train from me here in Osnabrueck, North Germany, travelled
                          >here and back to
                          >spend a few hours initiating me into the use of Audacity!!
                          >
                          >Once more - thank you, Andreas.

                          Fantastic! I wish Andreas lived near me - feel like dropping down to
                          Australia Andreas? ;-)

                          - Michael.

                        • Andreas Büsing
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                            Sorry,

                            But I run Word 2003 in a German version...

                            So let us look for a first aid soloution:

                            Please check the online help of WORD -hidden behind the question mark-.
                            Keywords for your search are: background + printing (maybe + enable)

                            It all works without problems in WORD 2003 I printed the page you posted...
                            maybe someone else is running a 2002 version and can help out.

                            I will try to find a different soloution...

                            Speak soon

                            Andreas

                            -----

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                              Dennis,

                              I'm not certain I've had enough coffee (it's 6:16 a.m. here) to give
                              you a completely coherent answer, but from the Help file in Word
                              2003 I found this:

                              |My document background doesn't print.
                              |
                              |By default, Microsoft Word does not print document backgrounds that
                              |you create by using the Background command on the Format menu. If
                              |you want to print document backgrounds, you can change this
                              |setting. To do so, click Options on the Tools menu. On the Print
                              |tab, select the Background colors and images check box.

                              You might want to search your 2002 Help menu for "printing
                              background" and see if they have a different set of directions for
                              you.

                              As for the "Draw" business, if you are dealing with a "picture"
                              rather than a "drawing" (in MicroSpeak), the directions are slightly
                              different. Try right-clicking on the item (background, picture,
                              WordArt) and select Order.

                              Hope this helps,

                            • djn@dennisnewson.de
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                                Andreas writes:

                                "Sorry,

                                But I run Word 2003 in a German version...

                                So let us look for a first aid solution: "

                                Andreas sent me off to online help. It says:

                                "Document backgrounds are designed to be viewed on the screen and not printed.
                                The background that you create by using the Background command on the
                                Format menu will not print. To add printable background, borders, or shading to
                                your page, use the Printed Watermark command......

                                The trouble is, my printed watermark option is faded out.

                                I think this is all quite a good example of what puts one off. Not being able to
                                straightforwardly print what you see is completely unintuitive.

                                Dennis

                              • djn@dennisnewson.de
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                                  From what Heather and Andreas write it begins to look as if there is an improvement in
                                  WORD v.2003 as compared with my v. 2002 which allows one to print background and
                                  colour.

                                  Dennis
                                • Andreas Büsing
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                                    Sorry Dennis,

                                    It looks like we are not a real help today...

                                    My problem is that I can't really follow because I've never used Word
                                    2002...

                                    But have a look here: < http://snipurl.com/l9ym>

                                    Let us know if this helped!

                                    Andreas
                                    -----

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                                      Thanks for the reference, Andreas. I'm stuck (and will now abandon this problem)
                                      because the required option is blended out. I seem to have stumbled across a known
                                      problem, though. See:

                                      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906306

                                      Dennis