Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Digest Number 1368

  • Emma Miliani
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2006
      Dear Webheads; Best wishes for a Happy and Peaceful 2006 to every Webhead and I hope it is full of success..
      I was unable to see Buthaina's video clip.
      Emma Miliani

    • Tom Zurinskas
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
        How to pronounce "Buthaina".

        The "b" can be said only 1 way.
        The "u" can be said 6 ways, as in "up" "human" "turn" "super" "put"
        "business"
        The "th" can be 2 ways, as in "the" and "thin"
        The "ai" can be 5 ways, as in "pain" "said" "air" "Taiwan" "mountain"
        The "na" most likely is 1 way as in "nut"

        A tilde shows a sound in truespel
        In truespel these sounds are ~b in ~bat, ~u in up, ~yue in ~hyuemin, ~er in
        ~tern, ~ue in ~sueper, ~oo in ~poot, ~i in biznis, ~th in ~the, ~thh in
        ~thhin, ~ae in ~paen, ,~e as in ~sed, ~air as in ~pair, ~ie in Tiewwaan, ~i
        in ~mountin, and ~nu in ~nut.

        So there's 60 (6x2x5) choices for pronunciation based on familiar tradspel
        (traditional spelling) forms in USA English. Taking the most popular, the
        pronunciation would be ~Buthaenu. Spelled this way the stress is on the
        first syllable. Truespel moves stress to after a double consonant (except
        for ~thh which becomes ~tthh when stressed). I assume stress is on the
        second syllable, so it would be ~Butthaenu. However although the voiced
        "th" is 4 times more popular than the unvoiced "th" ~th, in running text,
        the unvoiced "th" ~thh is 4 times more popular in individual words. So in
        terms of popularity it could be ~Butthhaenu, with stress on the tthhae, as
        in the word "thank" ~thhaenk.

        To see this web site or any respelled in truespel go to truespel.com and hit
        the converter.

        tz
        creator of truespel

        Truespel Book One: Analysis of the Sounds (Phonemes) of USA English
        http://www.authorhouse.com/bookstore/itemdetail.aspx?bookid=16593

        Convert English to truespel (USA accent) by copy/pasting at
        truespel.com

        Spelling USA English sounds (phonemes)
        (note: tilde ~ means phonetically spelled in truespel

        Truespel - 17 USA English vowels and sample trad words.
        (all sample words here are identical in trad and truespel)

        ~a � pat ~ae - sundae ~aa � Saab
        ~e � pet ~ee � see ~au � auger
        ~i � pit ~ie � pie ~ou � out
        ~oo � look ~oe � toe ~oi - void
        ~u � up ~ue � blue ~air - air
        ~er � her
        ~or � or

        Truespel � 23 USA English consonants and sample trad words.
        (Two words are spelled differently in truespel � ~thhin and ~vizhin)

        ~b � but ~l � let ~th - that
        ~ch � chin ~m � men ~thh - thin
        ~d � did ~n � nap ~v - van
        ~f � fun ~p � pen ~w � wood
        ~g � get ~r � run ~y - yes
        ~h � hat ~s � sun ~z - zip
        ~j � jam ~sh � ship ~zh � vision
        ~k � kit ~t - toe

        ~q = one tongue tip flap ~rq = multiple tongue tip flaps
        ~x = one tongue back flap ~kx = multiple tongue back flaps

        >From: Emma Miliani <emcdef@...>
        >To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Digest Number 1368
        >Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 23:54:32 -0800 (PST)
        >
        >Dear Webheads; Best wishes for a Happy and Peaceful 2006 to every Webhead
        >and I hope it is full of success..
        > I was unable to see Buthaina's video clip.
        > Emma Miliani

        >For more information:

        >extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete
        >this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Buthaina Al-Othman
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
          Hi Tom and all,

          Please go to the URL below to listen to me saying my name :)

          < http://buthaina.podomatic.com/ >

          Hope this helps..

          Thanks for your message with the useful info. on pronunciation from
          your program, truespel.

          Buth
          -----------

          In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Zurinskas"
          <truespel@h...> wrote:

> [...]
          > (Two words are spelled differently in truespel – ~thhin and ~vizhin)
          >
          > ~b – but ~l – let ~th - that
          > ~ch – chin ~m – men ~thh - thin
          > ~d – did ~n – nap ~v - van
          > ~f – fun ~p – pen ~w – wood
          > ~g – get ~r – run ~y - yes
          > ~h – hat ~s – sun ~z - zip
          > ~j – jam ~sh – ship ~zh – vision
          > ~k – kit ~t - toe
          >
          > ~q = one tongue tip flap ~rq = multiple tongue tip flaps
          > ~x = one tongue back flap ~kx = multiple tongue back flaps
          >

          > >From: Emma Miliani <emcdef@y...>
          > >To: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Digest Number 1368
          > >Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 23:54:32 -0800 (PST)
          > >
          > >Dear Webheads; Best wishes for a Happy and Peaceful 2006 to every
          Webhead
          > >and I hope it is full of success..
          > > I was unable to see Buthaina's video clip.
        • Tom Zurinskas
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
            Hi Buthaina,

            Looks good but I can't seem to make it play nor record there.

            tom z

          • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
              I got it to play and was able to hear Buth's voice again with the
              pronunciation of her name and a few words about herself. Although I
              tried to record/send a message back, it didn't "take" my comment. I
              would like to get this to work so that I can have the teacher trainees
              in my upcoming CALL Online course try it out, too. Help, Buth???!

              Christine
              Christine Bauer-Ramazani
              School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642
              Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595
              One Winooski Park
              Colchester, VT 05439-0253
              ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm
              web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/
              online CALL course: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-

            • djn@dennisnewson.de
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
                I could hear Buthaina, though I didn't try to record.

                Dennis
              • djn@dennisnewson.de
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Could it be that recorded comments go only to Buthaina and you only get copies if you
                  have activated the RSS feed?

                  Dennis
                • Renata Chylinski
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 10, 2006
                    Dear Christine
                    I cam accross your message and found out from your signature that you do
                    online courses in CALL.
                    The link though is not complete - can you provide me with the full
                    address, please?
                    Ta
                    renata

                    Renata Chylinski
                    Flexible Learning Coordinator

                    Monash University ELC, Australia
                    CRICOS Provider: Monash University 0008C
                    Monash International Pty Ltd 01857J

                    http://muelc.monint.monash.edu.au/Staff/renata.html
                    http://www.callcorner.com

                  • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 11, 2006
                      Sure, Renata. Here it is in both long (probably wrapping into the next
                      line) and abbreviated version.

                      http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Onlin
                      e_demo.htm

                      http://tinyurl.com/4o7aq

                      The site above is a "demo" site but it has the pertinent info for the
                      current course, and you're welcome to check it out! We're about to
                      start again-Jan. 16-and I'm feverishly working to update everything!
                      This semester I have 4 students abroad-in Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Cyprus,
                      and Korea. Getting everyone together for chats will be a challenge!

                      Christine
                      Christine Bauer-Ramazani
                      School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642
                      Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595
                      One Winooski Park
                      Colchester, VT 05439-0253

                      web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/
                      online CALL course:
                      http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Onlin
                      e_demo.htm

                      I cam accross your message and found out from your signature that you do

                      online courses in CALL.
                      The link though is not complete - can you provide me with the full
                      address, please?
                      Ta
                      renata

                      Renata Chylinski
                      Flexible Learning Coordinator

                      Monash University ELC, Australia
                      CRICOS Provider: Monash University 0008C
                      Monash International Pty Ltd 01857J

                      http://muelc.monint.monash.edu.au/Staff/renata.html
                      http://www.callcorner.com

                      Bauer-Ramazani, Christine wrote:

                      > I got it to play and was able to hear Buth's voice again with the
                      > pronunciation of her name and a few words about herself. Although I
                      > tried to record/send a message back, it didn't "take" my comment. I
                      > would like to get this to work so that I can have the teacher trainees
                      > in my upcoming CALL Online course try it out, too. Help, Buth???!
                      >
                      > Christine
                      > Christine Bauer-Ramazani
                      > School of International Studies phone: 802-654-2642
                      > Saint Michael's College fax: 802-654-2595
                      > One Winooski Park
                      > Colchester, VT 05439-0253
                      > ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm
                      > web site: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/
                      > online CALL course: http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-

                      cribe>

                      extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
                      delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
                      Thanks!!

                      Distance
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Distance+learning+education&w1=Dist
                      ance+learning+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distance+lear
                      ning&w4=Distance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+education+o
                      nline&w6=Distance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=6y6v_djNSdaM1ecjy-3eFg
                      > learning education

                      Accredited
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Accredited+distance+learning&w1=Dis
                      tance+learning+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distance+lea
                      rning&w4=Distance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+education+
                      online&w6=Distance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=of0oeRX6yZ8ksvvVWkX-y
                      w> distance learning

                      Distance
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Distance+learning&w1=Distance+learn
                      ing+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distance+learning&w4=Di
                      stance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+education+online&w6=D
                      istance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=yHQebwH5pCXTRwHW8XFLtg>
                      learning

                      Distance
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Distance+learning+master+degree&w1=
                      Distance+learning+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distance+
                      learning&w4=Distance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+educati
                      on+online&w6=Distance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=jZFGcqqm7jHprTWbBj
                      hR8A> learning master degree

                      Distance
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Distance+learning+education+online&
                      w1=Distance+learning+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distan
                      ce+learning&w4=Distance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+educ
                      ation+online&w6=Distance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=x-ua0nuUMofgddh
                      EqDTcEw> learning education online

                      Distance
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Distance+learning+schools&w1=Distan
                      ce+learning+education&w2=Accredited+distance+learning&w3=Distance+learni
                      ng&w4=Distance+learning+master+degree&w5=Distance+learning+education+onl
                      ine&w6=Distance+learning+schools&c=6&s=198&.sig=glHqqh4e4BFhXZ21hjpclw>
                      learning schools

                      _____

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      * Visit your group "evonline2002_webheads
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads> " on the web.

                      cribe>

                      _____