Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Digest Number 1367

  • David Brown
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2006
      I was able to access your videoclip, Buthaina, and I shared it with family and friends. Thank you. Young women are the same world-wide, aren't they?

      There are 18 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Happy New Year, from Kuwat!!
      From: "Buthaina Al-Othman"
      2. Re: Happy New Year, from Kuwat!!
      From: Leanne Mackenzie

      3. Re: Happy New Year, from Kuwat!!
      From: Dafne
      4. Re: Re: ESL Online Worldwide Survey Results URLs
      From: Wendy Seale-Bakes
      5. Re: Happy New Year, from Kuwat!!
      From: "Buthaina Al-Othman"
      6. Re: Happy New Year, from Kuwat!!
      From: Lee Baber
      7. Re: Re: Happy New Year, from Kuwat!!
      From: Candace Pauchnick

      8. Re: Happy New Year, from Kuwait!!
      From: Michael Coghlan
      9. RE: Happy New Year, from Kuwat!!
      From: "Tom Zurinskas"
      10. Happy New year from Denmark
      From: "Sus Nyrop"
      11. Re: Happy New Year, from Kuwat!!
      From: "Teresa Almeida d'Eca"
      12. Re: Happy New Year, from Portugal!
      From: Antonia Melvin
      13. OT: Happy New Year
      From: Andreas B├╝sing <169645@...>
      14. Re: OT: Happy New Year
      From: "Teresa Almeida d'Eca"
      15. Re: Happy New Year, from Kuwat!!
      From: Susan Bates
      16. Re: OT: Happy New Year
      From: hala fawzi
      17. Re: Re: Happy New Year, from Kuwat!!
      From: hala fawzi
      18. I sent you an eCard from AmericanGreetings.com
      From: "alysea22@..."

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 22:45:54 -0000
      From: "Buthaina Al-Othman"
      Subject: Happy New Year, from Kuwat!!

      Dear Webheads,

      Wishing you a peaceful, healthy, and fulfilling happy New Year :)

      Just wanted to share with you a short videoblogged clip of how my
      daughter, her cousins, friends, and me were celebrating and welcoming
      2006 in my house here in Kuwait:

      < http://buthaina.blip.tv/file/8033>

      This was done while Jeff Lebow, Dave Cromier, Barbara Sawhill were
      being webcasted via Worldbridges about one hour and a half ago!

      Best wishes :)

      Buthaina

      PS One of my wishes for 2006 is to be called by my name, Buthaina,
      instead of my online one "Buth" whenever we are using a voice-chat.
      This is because many people found "Buth" difficult to pronouce the
      right way. Thank you for your cooperation..Peace & Love to all..

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 21:31:17 -0500 (EST)
      From: Leanne Mackenzie

      Subject: Re: Happy New Year, from Kuwat!!

      Happy New Year to you too, Buthaina!
      I was listening in at WorldBridges when the clock was
      about to strike midnight at your house, so I heard the
      celebration "live". Unfortunately, the avi file type
      is not supported...by my computer or browser??..., so
      I wasn't able to view your clip.

      I heard Barbara calling you Buthaina, with the middle
      syllable pronounced to rhyme with "mine". I take it
      that's the correct pronunciation - or if not, please
      correct me so I can address you correctly this coming
      year.

      I hope all your wishes for 2006 are as easy to make
      come true.
      Hugs,
      Leanne

      --- Buthaina Al-Othman wrote:

      ---------------------------------
[...]

      When replying to postings, please delete this footer
      and any other extraneous text from the reply -
      Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer
      and any other extraneous text from the reply -
      Thanks!!

      Terms of Service.

      Message: 3
      Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:41:47 -0800 (PST)
      From: Dafne

      Happy New Year to all Webheads!!!

      I was at Worldbridges, and could hear Vance, who received the New Year in the desert, then Buth in Kuwait. Later, I talked to Teresa in Portugal seconds before her New Year, an hour later, my family in Spain, and I am still in 2005. Definitely, we are younger in America ;-)

      My best wishes for 2006! I left a card in the wiki.

      hugs,

      Daf

      --- Buthaina Al-Othman wrote:

      ---------------------------------
[...]

      Distance learning education Accredited distance learning Distance learning Distance learning master degree Distance learning education online Distance learning schools

      Message: 4
      Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:47:29 -0800
      From: Wendy Seale-Bakes
      Subject: Re: Re: ESL Online Worldwide Survey Results URLs

      Hi Chris,

      It's really hard when you're the only one offering a mixed mode course,
      isn't it? I visited Advanced and Upper Intermediate classes to promote the
      Advanced ESL Mixed Mode course face to face with as many students and their
      teachers as possible.

      I think I said earlier that the best response I got was from students in two
      Upper Intermediate classes who had the same instructor. He uses email and a
      website for listening materials with his students, so they're (teacher and
      students) more comfortable using Internet tools for English. This guy also
      recommends the MM class to his students, if he thinks they're good
      independent learners, and/or have problems coming to the college every day.
      To reach potential students who aren't already attending the college, some
      of the staff and I also dropped off hundreds (thousands?) of fliers at
      libraries, community centres and immigrant agencies.

      That's why I'm convinced winning the teachers and students over depends on a
      higher comfort level with online tools and better promotion. I'd also hoped
      if the course could run a couple of times in a row, that it would build some
      momentum through word of mouth.

      I don't know if it's harder if the course is an elective - which I'm pretty
      sure you said your course is. On the one hand, perhaps the students are
      less worried about passing to the next level - as "mine" were, but on the
      other hand, it's not part of the main stream so they may be more interested
      in experimenting with a new mode.

      Too bad you'll have to wait until fall to run it again. You must have
      pretty long terms - and I guess you don't teach in the summer.

      Do you find the instructors teaching "regular" courses are concerned about
      you "stealing" students from their classes? Or that they fear being forced
      to teach Mixed Mode themselves in the future? I've heard both these
      concerns from instructors at our college. Not everybody, but some of the
      more vocal ones have said both of these things.

      Anyway, I hope you can still do online activities with your class this
      term. Having computers actually in the classroom must be great!

      All the best for the New Year,
      Wendy SB

      On 12/30/05, CJones wrote:

      > Hi, Wendy,
      >
      > My course may be in trouble again because I didn't take any of our
      > meeting time prior to advisement to talk up the benefits of students
      > being able to search the web effectively and report on information
      > they find, etc. In effect, I didn't remind my colleagues to talk up
      > the benefits of the course during class time to our students, so they
      > probably didn't do that. I'm hoping it will fare better if I do that
      > prior to registration for fall semester.
      >
      > Chris Jones
      >
      > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Wendy Seale-Bakes
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Chris,
      > >
      > > Sorry to be so slow replying to your reply. The end of term and
      > Christmas
      > > just took over for awhile. Thank you very much for telling me
      > about your
      > > course and some of the problems you've had.
      > >
      > > "..it almost died out in 2002 because I didn't get enough students
      > > for 2-3 semesters in a row. Then I got my colleagues to buy into its
      > > usefulness and help promote it. That did the trick for 3 semesters,
      > > and now I think it's not going to make next semester."
      > >
      > > I hope your course makes it next semester. Do you have any idea
      > why it's in
      > > trouble again? I'm also really curious about what you did to get
      > your
      > > colleagues to buy into it in 2002.

      Message: 5
      Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 05:01:52 -0000
      From: "Buthaina Al-Othman"

      Thanks, Leanne..And sory about the confusion! The notice you read that
      says avi.type file is not supported was mistakenly added by me there!
      Try to watch the video clip whenever you're free and let us know if it
      works for you, please.

      Thanks, again for your kind message :)

      Buth
      ---------

      In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Leanne Mackenzie

      wrote:

      > Happy New Year to you too, Buthaina!
      > I was listening in at WorldBridges when the clock was
      > about to strike midnight at your house, so I heard the
      > celebration "live". Unfortunately, the avi file type
      > is not supported...by my computer or browser??..., so
      > I wasn't able to view your clip.
      >
      > I heard Barbara calling you Buthaina, with the middle
      > syllable pronounced to rhyme with "mine". I take it
      > that's the correct pronunciation - or if not, please
      > correct me so I can address you correctly this coming
      > year.
      >
      > I hope all your wishes for 2006 are as easy to make
      > come true.
      > Hugs,
      > Leanne
      >
      > --- Buthaina Al-Othman wrote:
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Dear Webheads,
      >
      > Wishing you a peaceful, healthy, and fulfilling happy
      > New Year :)
      >
      > Just wanted to share with you a short videoblogged
      > clip of how my
      > daughter, her cousins, friends, and me were
      > celebrating and welcoming
      > 2006 in my house here in Kuwait:
      >
      > < http://buthaina.blip.tv/file/8033>
      >
      > This was done while Jeff Lebow, Dave Cromier, Barbara
      > Sawhill were
      > being webcasted via Worldbridges about one hour and a
      > half ago!
      >
      > Best wishes :)
      >
      > Buthaina
      >
      > PS One of my wishes for 2006 is to be called by my
      > name, Buthaina,
      > instead of my online one "Buth" whenever we are using
      > a voice-chat.
      > This is because many people found "Buth" difficult to
      > pronouce the
      > right way. Thank you for your cooperation..Peace &
      > Love to all..

      Message: 6
      Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 00:45:28 -0500
      From: Lee Baber

      Happy New Year!!
      Buthaina, I am not able to to see the video..
      http://buthaina.blip.tv/file/8033
      I am able to get the site and the tv screen but there is not video
      downloading.
      Thanks and Happy New Year!
      Lee

      On Dec 31, 2005, at 5:45 PM, Buthaina Al-Othman wrote:

      > Dear Webheads,
      >
      > Wishing you a peaceful, healthy, and fulfilling happy New Year :)
      >
      > Just wanted to share with you a short videoblogged clip of how my
      > daughter, her cousins, friends, and me were celebrating and welcoming
      > 2006 in my house here in Kuwait:
      >
      > < http://buthaina.blip.tv/file/8033>
      >
      > This was done while Jeff Lebow, Dave Cromier, Barbara Sawhill were
      > being webcasted via Worldbridges about one hour and a half ago!
      >
      > Best wishes :)
      >
      > Buthaina
      >
      > PS One of my wishes for 2006 is to be called by my name, Buthaina,
      > instead of my online one "Buth" whenever we are using a voice-chat.
      > This is because many people found "Buth" difficult to pronouce the
      > right way. Thank you for your cooperation..Peace & Love to all..
      >

      > For more information:

      > extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
      > delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
      > Thanks!!
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Message: 7
      Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 00:24:47 -0800 (PST)
      From: Candace Pauchnick

      Subject: Re: Re: Happy New Year, from Kuwat!!

      Buthaina,
      I was able to see your wonderful video and it was a real joy. :-) Our new year has finally hit us here in California so I can officially say "Happy New Year" everyone now! :-)
      May all of you have peace, joy and health for 2006.
      Candy

      wrote:

      > Happy New Year to you too, Buthaina!
      > I was listening in at WorldBridges when the clock was
      > about to strike midnight at your house, so I heard the
      > celebration "live". Unfortunately, the avi file type
      > is not supported...by my computer or browser??..., so
      > I wasn't able to view your clip.
      >
      > I heard Barbara calling you Buthaina, with the middle
      > syllable pronounced to rhyme with "mine". I take it
      > that's the correct pronunciation - or if not, please
      > correct me so I can address you correctly this coming
      > year.
      >
      > I hope all your wishes for 2006 are as easy to make
      > come true.
      > Hugs,
      > Leanne
      >
      > --- Buthaina Al-Othman wrote:
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Dear Webheads,
      >
      > Wishing you a peaceful, healthy, and fulfilling happy
      > New Year :)
      >
      > Just wanted to share with you a short videoblogged
      > clip of how my
      > daughter, her cousins, friends, and me were
      > celebrating and welcoming
      > 2006 in my house here in Kuwait:
      >
      > < http://buthaina.blip.tv/file/8033>
      >
      > This was done while Jeff Lebow, Dave Cromier, Barbara
      > Sawhill were
      > being webcasted via Worldbridges about one hour and a
      > half ago!
      >
      > Best wishes :)
      >
      > Buthaina
      >
      > PS One of my wishes for 2006 is to be called by my
      > name, Buthaina,
      > instead of my online one "Buth" whenever we are using
      > a voice-chat.
      > This is because many people found "Buth" difficult to
      > pronouce the
      > right way. Thank you for your cooperation..Peace &
      > Love to all..

      Distance learning education Accredited distance learning Distance learning Distance learning master degree Distance learning education online Distance learning schools

      === message truncated ===

      Peace,

      David