Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: ESL Online Worldwide Survey Results URLs

  • Wendy Seale-Bakes
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 31, 2005
      Hi Chris,

      It's really hard when you're the only one offering a mixed mode course,
      isn't it? I visited Advanced and Upper Intermediate classes to promote the
      Advanced ESL Mixed Mode course face to face with as many students and their
      teachers as possible.

      I think I said earlier that the best response I got was from students in two
      Upper Intermediate classes who had the same instructor. He uses email and a
      website for listening materials with his students, so they're (teacher and
      students) more comfortable using Internet tools for English. This guy also
      recommends the MM class to his students, if he thinks they're good
      independent learners, and/or have problems coming to the college every day.
      To reach potential students who aren't already attending the college, some
      of the staff and I also dropped off hundreds (thousands?) of fliers at
      libraries, community centres and immigrant agencies.

      That's why I'm convinced winning the teachers and students over depends on a
      higher comfort level with online tools and better promotion. I'd also hoped
      if the course could run a couple of times in a row, that it would build some
      momentum through word of mouth.

      I don't know if it's harder if the course is an elective - which I'm pretty
      sure you said your course is. On the one hand, perhaps the students are
      less worried about passing to the next level - as "mine" were, but on the
      other hand, it's not part of the main stream so they may be more interested
      in experimenting with a new mode.

      Too bad you'll have to wait until fall to run it again. You must have
      pretty long terms - and I guess you don't teach in the summer.

      Do you find the instructors teaching "regular" courses are concerned about
      you "stealing" students from their classes? Or that they fear being forced
      to teach Mixed Mode themselves in the future? I've heard both these
      concerns from instructors at our college. Not everybody, but some of the
      more vocal ones have said both of these things.

      Anyway, I hope you can still do online activities with your class this
      term. Having computers actually in the classroom must be great!

      All the best for the New Year,
      Wendy SB