TESOL 2003 proposal idea

    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2002
      Hi everyone,

      Deadlines certainly get the creative juices flowing. The bad news is
      that the May 1st deadline for TESOL submissions rolled around too fast
      for me to contact people about the idea that came to me as I was really
      starting to think about it. The good news is that the deadline has been
      extended.

      So my idea is, what if I propose a colloquium of Webheads members,
      something about how we formed and developed our community, what benefits
      were derived, how accomplished and so on. A colloquium is 1.75 hours
      long, has up to six panelists, and requires panelists to prepare
      position papers and respond to each other's papers before the conference
      and more formally during the actual presentation, where the views are
      presented and discussed with those present.

      If this could become a CALL-IS sponsored event and we could get an
      internet connection laid on for us then we could include the wider world
      of webheads and likeminded folk in our discussion.

      If you're planning to attend TESOL in Baltimore and would like to commit
      to this endeavor on short notice, then get back to me right away and
      I'll crash something out for us.

      I'll try to get online at noon GMT on Thursday May 2nd, at Tapped In, to
      discuss this further with anyone who appears there.

      Vance
    • Teresa Almeida d'Eça
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2002
        Vance,

        This seems like a great idea! Actually, I've been meaning to write on
        this -- Webheads in Action -- for a couple of weeks, but have not
        found the time yet. My four basic topics are very similar to yours:
        how it all started, how it developed, what we got out of it, and the
        future. So, you can count me in, if you wish, Vance.

        > So my idea is, what if I propose a colloquium of Webheads members,
        > something about how we formed and developed our community, what
        benefits
        > were derived, how accomplished and so on. A colloquium is 1.75
        hours
        > long, has up to six panelists, and requires panelists to prepare
        > position papers and respond to each other's papers before the
        conference
        > and more formally during the actual presentation, where the views
        are
        > presented and discussed with those present.

        Yes, I am planning to attend Tesol in Baltimore. But what happens if
        I'm in and something prevents me from going?

        > If you're planning to attend TESOL in Baltimore and would like to
        commit
        > to this endeavor on short notice, then get back to me right away and
        > I'll crash something out for us.

        I'll try to join you for a while tomorrow.

        > I'll try to get online at noon GMT on Thursday May 2nd, at Tapped
        In, to
        > discuss this further with anyone who appears there.

        Hope this clipping pleases 'bunny' Nigel!!! ;-)

        Hugs all, Teresa
      • Rita Zeinstejer
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2002
          Hi, Vance
          I wish I could attend TESOL in Baltimore... but it's only wishful thinking at the moment. Yet, if I can be of any help providing any comments, adding to the topics proposed, or including personal experience, count on me as well. I'll do my best.
          Best
          Rita

        • dafne Chavez
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2002
            Vance, I would love to be part of the colloquium. I am planning to go to the TESOL convention in BAltimore, as I have been doing for the past 11 or so years. I will be at TI tomorrow at noon time GMT. I am writing a proposal for the ESP IS, about my online ESP course, but I think this colloquium you propose is a cool idea. See you at TI.
            Daf
            Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote: Hi everyone,

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
            var lrec_URL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2028952.3504245.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1061772/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356";var lrec_flashfile="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429b.swf";var lrec_altURL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2028952.3504245.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1061772/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356";var lrec_altimg="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429.gif";var lrec_width=300;var lrec_height=250;on error resume nextSub banner_click_lrec_FSCommand(ByVal command, ByVal args)call banner_click_lrec_DoFSCommand(command, args)end sub

            Syllabus:

            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2002
              Dear Vance,
              I am one of the "silent" members of the webheads group, but I am here on
              line. There would be no way that I could attend the TESOL conference in
              Baltimore, but please keep in touch. I enjoy reading all the e-mail, but
              unfortunately I am a novice with computers so I do not contribute. Sorry and
              thank you!

              Sincerely,
              Dave Singer
            • J. H. Steele
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2002
                Same here. Wish I could be there, but I doubt, unless I can get my
                university to pay for it (Now *there* would be a miracle). But if I can
                help, let me know.

                John, MI

                Prof. John H. Steele, Ph.D.
                English Department
                University of Puerto Rico at Aguadilla
                jhsteele@... http://www.eslpalace.com

                > I wish I could attend TESOL in Baltimore... but it's only wishful thinking
                at the moment. Yet, if I can be of any help providing any comments, adding
                to the topics proposed, or including personal experience, count on me as
                well. I'll do my best.
                > Best
                > Rita

                > For more information:
                > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
                >
                > Syllabus:
                > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.htm

              • Buthaina Al Othman
                Message 7 of 12 , May 1, 2002
                  Hi Vance:
                  Yes, I'm planing to attend the TESOL 2003.I'm also interested in your idea,
                  but I need to know when is the deadline. I would also like to say here that
                  ,although, I've been a silent participant in the webheads project, I read
                  most of the assignments and responses. I must mention , though, that due to
                  technical problems and time pressure I was unable to interact or do most of
                  the asignments.However, I plan to devote enough time during my summer
                  holiday to do some of the assignments.
                  Best,
                  Buthaina

                • edtec2002
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 1, 2002
                    Hi, Vance, et al,

                    I would be interested in participating in the Webhead colloquim at
                    TESOL. I've participated in a lot of the activities the group has
                    done, and my college will usually pay if I'm presenting. I already
                    entered another proposal of my own about using email and discussion
                    boards for journal writing.

                    However, I still haven't gotten Tapped In up and running again. The
                    tech people at Tapped In told me it's probably a firewall problem. I
                    just haven't had time to follow through on it. Also, noon GMT is 5
                    a.m. my time, so that's a difficult time for me to get involved.

                    I think there are probably others who got more involved in Webheads
                    than I did and they would do a fine job on the colloquim. However,
                    I'm willing to participate if you need another person.

                    It was pretty exciting talking to you, Dafne, and others at TESOL
                    even though you couldn't see me. I could see you, and it's motivated
                    to continue as part of the group and to try more things this summer.

                    Chris Jones
                    Yuma, Arizona

                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., Vance Stevens <vstevens@e...>
                    wrote:
                    > Hi everyone,
                    >
                    > Deadlines certainly get the creative juices flowing. The bad news
                    is
                    > that the May 1st deadline for TESOL submissions rolled around too
                    fast
                    > for me to contact people about the idea that came to me as I was
                    really
                    > starting to think about it. The good news is that the deadline has
                    been
                    > extended.
                    >
                    > So my idea is, what if I propose a colloquium of Webheads members,
                    > something about how we formed and developed our community, what
                    benefits
                    > were derived, how accomplished and so on. A colloquium is 1.75
                    hours
                    > long, has up to six panelists, and requires panelists to prepare
                    > position papers and respond to each other's papers before the
                    conference
                    > and more formally during the actual presentation, where the views
                    are
                    > presented and discussed with those present.
                    >
                    > If this could become a CALL-IS sponsored event and we could get an
                    > internet connection laid on for us then we could include the wider
                    world
                    > of webheads and likeminded folk in our discussion.
                    >
                    > If you're planning to attend TESOL in Baltimore and would like to
                    commit
                    > to this endeavor on short notice, then get back to me right away and
                    > I'll crash something out for us.
                    >
                    > I'll try to get online at noon GMT on Thursday May 2nd, at Tapped
                    In, to
                    > discuss this further with anyone who appears there.
                    >
                    > Vance
                  • Keiko Schneider
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2, 2002
                      Hi, Vance.
                      Sorry for coming in to this late. Bad thing about reading digest...

                      I would LOVE to go to Baltimore! And I am teaching ESL! However TESOL
                      usually happens in the middle of the week (URGH, can't get to it if I am
                      teaching a class) and traditionally March and April are businest months
                      for conference travelling. I wouldn't say I could not make it for sure,
                      but I just can't commit at this point.

                      You are free to use my name if you like and I would at least try to
                      participate online. If I run Virtual PC by next year or Yahoo comes up
                      with Voice/video version of Mac or show off new TAPPED IN interface,
                      whatever. Nobody knows what happens after a year.

                      Thanks for your continued, incredible efforts to keep the community going!

                      Sincerely yours,
                      Keiko Schneider
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 2, 2002
                        I believe I've got six people who can commit but at the moment I have only 5
                        first names, middle names, last names, institution, mailing addresses with
                        city, state, post code, etc. If you want to send me that AND if I end up with
                        5 before bedtime tonight then I'd put you in. But you sound equivocal.
                        Anyway, send me the info I need to fill in the form.

                        Off for a day on the water, will deal with it on return,

                        Vance

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 4, 2002
                            Vance et al,

                            Oh, I would loved to be part of this great and friendly gruop. Anyhow, I do not think I will be in Baltimore this year. Still, I can participate and attend the colloquium ONLINE, isn't it?? So, I would love to take part in this event as a virtual participant or so do you agree :)

                            Well, I wish you all a very successful event and I will be willing to take part or prepare any needed assigments for that purpose.

                            Best wishes,
                            Ismail.

                            Ismail Fayed, Program Specialist, IELP - II
                            6 Mostafa Elsherei st, Off Nawal st. - Dokki 12311 - Giza - Egypt
                            Mob. : 012 440 8929 - Tel.: (202) 338 4781 - Fax: 338 4780
                            E-mail: <ifayed@...>- Home page:<www.ielp2.org>