Online ESL Worldwide Research

  • Susan Bates
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2005
      Hi Everyone,

      I'm doing research for my college on online ESL worldwide. I know that many of you are teaching online or partially online courses and I would truly appreciate it if you could share your experiences. Anything you could tell me would be helpful.

      Please feel free to answer any or all of the following questions:

      1.. When did you start offering online/mixed-mode classes? Which courses are online/mixed mode? Skills? Generic? International? What levels-beginners, intermediate, advanced?
      2.. What is minimum/maximum class size?
      3.. What preparation do instructors receive before they begin teaching online/while teaching online?
      4.. Do you have CD money available for course development?
      5.. What platforms are you using? What would you like to be using?
      6.. What are plans for future course development?
      7.. What market research did you do before initiating online delivery?
      8.. What do student evaluations say about online learning?
      9.. What percentage of ESL instructors at your institution use online tools-are these courses considered mixed mode or regular courses enhanced with Internet tools?
      10.. Do all ESL instructors have access to the LMS (Moodle or WebCT)? Is there Tech support for this?
      1.. How did you go about launching online or partially courses?
      2.. Did you survey students initially?
      3.. Did you note a student demand?
      4.. Do you have a core of instructors trained in online course delivery?
      5.. Did you have any trouble filling courses?
      6.. How are courses marketed?

      7.. How do you support courses?
      8.. Do you have a technical support department for online course delivery?
      9.. Do you have an instructional support team?
      10.. Where do instructors work?
      11.. If from home, how is this monitored?

      Student Expectations

      12.. What expectations do students have of online learning?
      13.. What are their experiences with it?
      14.. How much do they expect to pay (less for mixed mode than classroom delivery)?
      15.. How much support do they expect? (technical and instructional support)

      Online Instructors

      16.. Would you teach an online course again?
      17.. What recommendations do you have for others?
      Kind regards from Vancouver, Canada,

      Susan