Re: [evonline2002_webheads] iPods & MP3 players

  • Graham Stanley
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
      Hi Dennis

      Basically an 'iPod' is an mp3 player, just as 'Coca Cola' is a soft drink

      Apple Computer's iPod has become iconic just as Sony's Walkman did in the
      1980s, and some people use the word when they mean mp3 player (which is the
      correct term).

      Look at the term 'podcasting', which comes from the words 'iPod' and
      'broadcasting' - because of the assumption (untrue) that you need an iPod
      to listen to podcasts, a lot of people are unhappy with the term, but
      it's passed to popular usage now, so there's no changing it.

      Any articles I can recommend. Well (plug plug) I've recently had one
      published about podcasting:

      http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/think/resources/podcast.shtml

      Here's another more general one:

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/downloadtrial/

      And then there's more explanation on Robert Diem's Englishcaster faq page:

      http://www.englishcaster.com/faq.html#anchor

      Robert will be joining myself and Scott on the TESOL evo2006 ELT podcasting
      session starting in January - we'd be happy for you and anyone esle
      interested in podcasting and indeed the other ways of providing audio online
      (audio blogging, webcasting, etc) to join us.

      Please go to our Yahoo group and sign up for the course & community
      (although we won't really be starting until January next year):

      Hope this answers your question Dennis

      Regards

      Graham Stanley

      --
      Graham Stanley
      http://blog-efl.blogspot.com

    • Eric Baber
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
        Hi Dennis,

        > What is the difference between an iPod and an MP3 player? I'm interested
        > in iPods in
        > the TEFL/TESOL context. Any key articles I should be looking at?

        An iPod is one type of MP3 player. A direct parallel is "Hoover": a Hoover
        is one type of vacuum player, but the brand is so strong that many people in
        the UK use the term Hoover to mean vacuum cleaner. Same thing here: iPod is
        so strongly branded that many people call anything that plays back MP3s an
        iPod.

        Eric
      • soraya halfaoui
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
          hi Dennis
          sorry I know nothing about what you asked about. However, here is a link to a conference that tackles the theme oF Mobile technology in education( mlearn, a new buzz word?)
          http://www.mlearn2006.org/

          Best regards

          Soraya Halfaoui

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005
            Teresa,

            I thanked you quickly offlist, but now I've looked at your site I must add WOW! And, to
            all of those that dopn't know it say, drop what you are doing and look at this:

            http://64.71.48.37/teresadeca/webheads/online-learning-environments.htm

            a list of links, articles and tutorials on iPods,and much else besides.

            This site will save you re-inventing wheels of many sizes.

            Dennis