Re: [evonline2002_webheads] iPods & MP3 players

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
      Dennis,

      You may find some interesting papers and articles in my OLE page under
      Podcasting.
      http://64.71.48.37/teresadeca/webheads/online-learning-environments.htm

      Teresa

      > ..A really basc question.....
      > What is the difference between an iPod and an MP3 player? I'm interested
      > in iPods in
      > the TEFL/TESOL context. Any key articles I should be looking at?
      > Thanks in advance.
      > I share what you teach me with as many colleagues as I can.
      > Dennis
    • Graham Stanley
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
        Hi Dennis

        Basically an 'iPod' is an mp3 player, just as 'Coca Cola' is a soft drink

        Apple Computer's iPod has become iconic just as Sony's Walkman did in the
        1980s, and some people use the word when they mean mp3 player (which is the
        correct term).

        Look at the term 'podcasting', which comes from the words 'iPod' and
        'broadcasting' - because of the assumption (untrue) that you need an iPod
        to listen to podcasts, a lot of people are unhappy with the term, but
        it's passed to popular usage now, so there's no changing it.

        Any articles I can recommend. Well (plug plug) I've recently had one
        published about podcasting:

        http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/think/resources/podcast.shtml

        Here's another more general one:

        http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/downloadtrial/

        And then there's more explanation on Robert Diem's Englishcaster faq page:

        http://www.englishcaster.com/faq.html#anchor

        Robert will be joining myself and Scott on the TESOL evo2006 ELT podcasting
        session starting in January - we'd be happy for you and anyone esle
        interested in podcasting and indeed the other ways of providing audio online
        (audio blogging, webcasting, etc) to join us.

        Please go to our Yahoo group and sign up for the course & community
        (although we won't really be starting until January next year):

        Hope this answers your question Dennis

        Regards

        Graham Stanley

        --
        Graham Stanley
        http://blog-efl.blogspot.com

      • Eric Baber
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
          Hi Dennis,

          > What is the difference between an iPod and an MP3 player? I'm interested
          > in iPods in
          > the TEFL/TESOL context. Any key articles I should be looking at?

          An iPod is one type of MP3 player. A direct parallel is "Hoover": a Hoover
          is one type of vacuum player, but the brand is so strong that many people in
          the UK use the term Hoover to mean vacuum cleaner. Same thing here: iPod is
          so strongly branded that many people call anything that plays back MP3s an
          iPod.

          Eric
        • soraya halfaoui
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
            hi Dennis
            sorry I know nothing about what you asked about. However, here is a link to a conference that tackles the theme oF Mobile technology in education( mlearn, a new buzz word?)
            http://www.mlearn2006.org/

            Best regards

            Soraya Halfaoui

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005
              Teresa,

              I thanked you quickly offlist, but now I've looked at your site I must add WOW! And, to
              all of those that dopn't know it say, drop what you are doing and look at this:

              http://64.71.48.37/teresadeca/webheads/online-learning-environments.htm

              a list of links, articles and tutorials on iPods,and much else besides.

              This site will save you re-inventing wheels of many sizes.

              Dennis