linguistics/translation

  • Susan Burg
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 27, 2005
      Dear friends,

      I will be having a sort of "interview" next month for a position in the literature department at the U. of Florence; it would be a great opportunity for me to change and better my work. In Italy, teachers are hired based on a point system so that those with more experience and/or qualifications are higher on the "list", thus more likely to be hired. The interview will deal with knowledge of Linguistics, the study of translation, knowledge of the principal didactics, methodology and techniques in teaching people of different mother tongues, and the capacity to discuss and critique and ability to speak clearly in both English and Italian.

      I have copied the original Italian text here. I have read so many of your papers, and thought of all of you who might be familiar with some of these topics. So as I do my web research, let me know of any links that may be helpful. And wish me lots of luck...there is a lot of competition! Keep your positive thoughs on me for this wonderful job!!

      Thanks and hugs,

      Susan

      Il colloquio che avrà un punteggio massimo di 30 punti terrà conto della conoscenza della linguistica inglese, della traduttologia, della conoscenza delle principali metodologie didattiche e tecniche di insegnamento rivolte a persone di diversa madrelingua, delle capacità di argomentazione e discussione critica e della chiarezza espositiva in entrambe le lingue.

      http://susaneb.blogspot.com/
      http://www3.unifi.it/moodle/index.php?lang=en

    • hala fawzi
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 27, 2005
        I wish you the best of luck.You do deserve the job.The most important of all, you have to believe in yourself that you are competent enough.If you are not taken,that means ,simply,you are over-qualified so in both cases you ARE a winner.

        Work hard , and whatever comes is for your best.
        Good luck.

        Susan Burg <smoky7@...> wrote:
[...]

        Distance learning education Accredited distance learning Distance learning Distance learning master degree Distance learning education online Distance learning schools

      • hala fawzi

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 27, 2005
            Dear Susan,
            I wish you the best of luck.You do deserve the job.The most important of all, you have to believe in yourself that you are competent enough.If you are not taken,that means ,simply,you are over-qualified so in both cases you ARE a winner.

            Work hard , and whatever comes is for your best.
            Good luck.
            Hala.Khartoum,Sudan.
            Susan Burg <smoky7@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Barbara Dieu
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 28, 2005
              You may want to consult studies and research papers from the European
              Centre of Modern Languages
              http://www.ecml.at/conf/flyer.asp
              http://www.ecml.at/doccentre/doccentre.asp?t=thematic
              http://www.ecml.at/doccentre/researchdetail.asp?rg=1

              Federico's Zanettin's site for links
              http://www.federicozanettin.net/sslmit/cl.htm

              and some of Dr Warschauer's papers at
              http://www.gse.uci.edu/markw/papers.html

              Best of luck, Susan.
              Warm regards from Brazil,
              Bee

              Barbara Dieu
              http://dekita.org
            • Susan Burg
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
                Thanks dear Hala, David and Bee,

                ...for your support and suggestions on lingusitics. My interview went really well. I was asked where I am presently teaching so I mostly spoke about my virtual English classes and how that works. They were very interested! Then they asked me what is "standard English" and finally, in Italian, I was asked how I would react to a student asking me a question I don't know the answer to. That was that. Wish me luck!