A Webheads publication

  • James Simpson
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 25, 2005
      Hello everyone

      I'd like to announce another Webheads publication:

      J. Simpson (2005) Learning electronic literacy skills in an online
      language learning community. Computer Assisted Language Learning Journal
      18/4, October 2005, pp.327-345.

      This paper takes a Vygotskyian approach to the analysis of some rather
      ancient Webheads interaction from the days at The Palace. Some of it is
      therefore of historical interest only! It's along lines that noone here
      will be particularly surprised at, viz. people learn things other than
      langauge in an online language learning community. I hope you enjoy
      reading it.

      Here's the link to the journal:
      http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/09588221.asp

      And to the abstract from where you can access the full text.
      http://journalsonline.tandf.co.uk/(wabmhoilsqewqy55oiqylxa4)/app/home/co
      ntribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=issue,5,6;journal,1,34;linkingpubl
      icationresults,1:103097,1

      By the way - congratulations to all involved in the recent convergence.

      And best wishes from a dedicated lurker!

      James

      ***********
      Dr James Simpson
      School of Education
      University of Leeds
      Leeds LS2 9JT
      UK
      j.e.b.simpson@...
      +44 (0)113 343 4687
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 27, 2005
        Hi, James!

        I'd love to read your paper, but there's a paid subscription. Is there any
        other way we can access it?

        Teresa

        > Hello everyone
        > I'd like to announce another Webheads publication:
        > J. Simpson (2005) Learning electronic literacy skills in an online
        > language learning community. Computer Assisted Language Learning Journal
        > 18/4, October 2005, pp.327-345.
        > This paper takes a Vygotskyian approach to the analysis of some rather
        > ancient Webheads interaction from the days at The Palace. Some of it is
        > therefore of historical interest only! It's along lines that noone here
        > will be particularly surprised at, viz. people learn things other than
        > langauge in an online language learning community. I hope you enjoy
        > reading it.
        > Here's the link to the journal:
        > http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/09588221.asp
        > And to the abstract from where you can access the full text.
        > http://journalsonline.tandf.co.uk/(wabmhoilsqewqy55oiqylxa4)/app/home/co
        > ntribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=issue,5,6;journal,1,34;linkingpubl
        > icationresults,1:103097,1
        > By the way - congratulations to all involved in the recent convergence.
        > And best wishes from a dedicated lurker!
        > James
        > j.e.b.simpson@...
      • James Simpson
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2005
          Hi Tere, everyone

          You asked if there was another way to access the CALL Journal
          publication I mentioned last week. You said: 'I'd love to read your
          paper, but there's a paid subscription. Is there any other way we can
          access it?'
          I've posted it onto my personal pages of my work website for you to
          download - can you let me know when you have done so?
          Here's the link:

          http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~edujsi/CALL%20journal%20paper/

          If anyone knows a better - easy - way of sharing papers like this, then
          I'd be grateful to find out.

          The reference is J. Simpson (2005) Learning electronic literacy skills
          in an online language learning community. Computer Assisted Language
          Learning Journal 18/4, October 2005, pp.327-345.
          Best wishes to all
          James

          > I'd like to announce another Webheads publication:
          > This paper takes a Vygotskyian
          > approach to the analysis of some rather ancient Webheads interaction
          > from the days at The Palace. Some of it is therefore of historical
          > interest only! It's along lines that noone here will be particularly
          > surprised at, viz. people learn things other than langauge in an
          > online language learning community. I hope you enjoy reading it.
          > Here's the link to the journal:
          > http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/09588221.asp
          > And to the abstract from where you can access the full text.

          http://journalsonline.tandf.co.uk/(wabmhoilsqewqy55oiqylxa4)/app/home/co

          ntribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=issue,5,6;journal,1,34;linkingpubl
          > icationresults,1:103097,1
          > By the way - congratulations to all involved in the recent
          convergence.
          > And best wishes from a dedicated lurker!
          > James
          > j.e.b.simpson@...

          extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
          delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
          Thanks!!
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • vstevens@emirates.net.ae
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2005
            Thanks James,

            I had a quick skim through your paper. It certainly seems interesting
            from a webheads point of view.

            One place you can put such items if you want to make them available to
            the community but keep them out of the public domain is here:

            You have to join the group to upload or access.

            You can also put things like this up at a Moodle course and keep it
            key protected, only giving the key to those you want to access the
            materials.

            Thanks for providing this for us. I got my copy.

            From: James Simpson <j.e.b.simpson@...>
            Date: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 2:42 am

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/iEagnA/LpQLAA/HwKMAA/FeXolB/TM

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2005
              Hi, James!

              Thanks for sharing your paper. It's a very interesting read and a part of
              the Webheads (hi)story.

              Is it possible to include a link to it in my OLE page and in our WiA Index
              using the URL below?

              Best,

              Teresa

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 30, 2005
                Hi Teresa
                I'll probably get into trouble from the publishers if they find out, but that's fine by me.
                Cheers!

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
                  James,

                  Here's what I'll do to avoid any trouble: I'll just include the link in the
                  WiA Index, because it's a less visible page. Ok?

                  Teresa