Re: [evonline2002_webheads] A little help from my friends, pls...Learning Activity...cross-post

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 28, 2005
      Off the top of my head (and after a good night sleep and two cups of strong
      black coffee with double heaping sugar ...

      Ask each participant in the workshop to prepare in advance of the day a
      paragraph introducing him/herself, or perhaps give them a short
      questionnaire. Tell them (or ask in the questionnaire) that you want
      something along the lines of interesting personal vignettes, unusual hobbies
      or work experience. Basically, however you do it, you're looking for
      something of interest about each person that the others are unlikely to
      know. You collect these before the event in time for you to isolate one
      interesting detail about each participant. Then you prepare a task for each
      person and give it to each participant, at the start of your workshop. Each
      task, on its own slip of paper, assigns the participant to identify someone
      in the group who yada yada (does or did this interesting thing). The
      participants are not to reveal to each other the nature of their covert
      assignments, but you group them in pods of 3 or 4 and get them to introduce
      themselves within the group. Each person introduces himself, and the others
      can ask questions which must not reveal the nature of that covert
      assignement. Then the pods turn to adjacent pods and the assignment now is
      for someone to introduce to the members of the other pod the people he or
      she has just met. This time it's not self introductions but 'other'
      introductions. Again there can be conversation among participants, and if
      time, they can wander around and get to know one another as they like, as
      long as they conceal the nature of the covert tasks (if you have a coffee
      break before the event you might give out the covert tasks in advance of
      that, and let them talk to each other, each concealing this hidden agenda).
      When you call a halt to the proceedings you ask who has met the person who
      did such and such. For those who didn't happen to meet the interesting
      person, or didn't get that information from them, they can read out their
      assignment and the one who fits the description can identify him/herself.
      Whatever you do at that point, you'll have established a well defined ZPD
      whose members are amenable to scaffolding.