Have a go with Wimba and help my students

  • Anne Fox
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
      Hi All
      This is an invite to try out the Wimba Voiceboard tool by helping
      out my students. I have a small group who all work at Huset Venture,
      a multi-functional organisation whose main aim is to develop viable
      business opportunities employing disabled people. See them at
      http://www.husetventure.dk

      The course is Business English and I decided that they should meet
      the curriculum aims by simulating the setting up of an e-business.
      They have an idea that there is a market for selling Danish art
      online to the North American market.

      If you have any experiences about buying from the internet, both
      good and bad, any strong opinions about buying art on the internet,
      both for and against then please leave a message on the Voiceboard
      at http://greena.horizonwimba.com/greena/board?
      action=display&rid=154-1126245607778 or alternatively tinyurl
      http://tinyurl.com/cx5ef

      You may be asked to download Sun Java when you first use the
      Voiceboard. This is a once only download. I will meet them again on
      Friday when it would be nice if they could have a selection of
      replies to which they can respond.

      We will need some kind souls to listen to their online presentations
      of their business idea some time in December so please indicate if
      we may follow up some of your contributions for this purpose. They
      will also likely compile a market research survey in a couple of
      weeks so it would be nice to have some volunteers for that too.

      It is my impression that they could do with some external input
      because right now all the debate is between themselves and they feel
      a bit silly putting it in the course Moodle when they bump into each
      other all the time everyday anyway.

      Hoping you can help.
      Anne Fox
      Aarhus, Denmark
    • Anne Fox
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 12, 2005
        Many thanks to Chris Jones, Sus, MichaelC and Yaodong for
        contributions to the Voiceboard. Well I must say that this is an
        uphill struggle but the fact that this week we shall be meeting online
        seems to have spurred them into checking out the technology and now
        two out of the eight have been brave enough to reply. Birgitte' is a
        very long reply given that she mailed me about 20 minutes earlier to
        say that she didn't think she would have the courage to do it. Hear it
        at http://greena.horizonwimba.com/greena/board?
        action=display&rid=154-1126245607778 or alternatively tinyurl
        http://tinyurl.com/cx5ef

        And in fact if you listen to the post you will hear the open office in
        the background. So small steps and I wait with bated breath for the
        outcome of our first online meetings at the end of this week.

        Thanks again for your help.

        Anne Fox
        Aarhus
        Denmark

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Fox" <af@g...>
        wrote:

        > Hi All
        > This is an invite to try out the Wimba Voiceboard tool by helping
        > out my students. I have a small group who all work at Huset Venture,
        > a multi-functional organisation whose main aim is to develop viable
        > business opportunities employing disabled people. See them at
        > http://www.husetventure.dk
        >
        > The course is Business English and I decided that they should meet
        > the curriculum aims by simulating the setting up of an e-business.
        > They have an idea that there is a market for selling Danish art
        > online to the North American market.

      • CJones
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 12, 2005
          Hi, Anna,

          Birgitte sounds totally calm and in control. I wouldn't have guessed
          she was so nervous about it.

          Chris Jones

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 13, 2005
            Hi, Anne!

            I've just been trying to listen to Birgitte's audio file, but all I get with
            both URLs is a page to compose a message, not the file itself. :-(

            Did anybody else have any problems?

            Thanks in advance for any help.

            Teresa

            > Birgitte' is a
            > very long reply given that she mailed me about 20 minutes earlier to
            > say that she didn't think she would have the courage to do it. Hear it
            > at http://greena.horizonwimba.com/greena/board?
            > action=display&rid=154-1126245607778 or alternatively tinyurl
            > http://tinyurl.com/cx5ef
            > Anne Fox
          • Susanne Nyrop
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 13, 2005
              Hi Tere,

              when I start from the given url http://tinyurl.com/cx5ef I get to an info page - Huset Venture and how to use Voiceboard, then soon after loads a Java applet with an authentication prompt; I write a screen name (sus), thenSubmit, and I see the board with a menu on top: Compose/Reply/Export/Delete/Forward/Invite, and then a recorder&player. In the4 window below, I see a list of main topics which can be unfolded so you can see the answers, click them and listen to messages one by one.

              Hope this helps. Anne is going to meet with the class tomorrow, hopefully some more will jump out from the silent closet!

              Sus

              Susanne Nyrop, exam.ped
              Online e-learning community developer
              Webheads in Action

              Solbakken 8, 3520 Farum Danmark
              tlf +45 44953057
              skype: sus_nyrop
              YM: susannenyrop

              s.nyrop@...
              susannenyrop@...

              Den Nordiske Stemme - online 2005
              The Nordic Voice - online 2005
              http://www.nordiskestemme.dk
              Online konference 7. -12- november 2005

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 13, 2005
                Thanks, dear Sus!

                With your brilliantly clear explanations, I'm now listening to the voice
                messages!

                Quite stupidly, what put me off was the screen name + Submit. My neurones
                weren't functioning properly. ;-)

                Hugs,

                Teresa