wrong time for presentation October 24

  • CJones
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2005
      Hi, all,

      I can't believe I did it, but I gave the wrong GMT for this
      presentation. It is 6:45 to 7:45 p.m. GMT. The local time of the
      presentation is 1:45 p.m. CDT. (I converted for Arizona time, not the
      time zone for Dallas.) Sorry! My excuse is that I was on massive
      doses of prescription sinus medication this weekend and was feeling
      really exhausted either from the sinus problem or the medication.

      Chris Jones

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jones
      <edtec2002@y...> wrote:
      > Hi, Webheads,
      >
      > On Monday, October 24, from 8:45 to 9:45 p.m. GMT, my division
      chair, Linda
      > Elliott-Nelson, and I are presenting at the League for Innovation,
      2005
      > Conference on Information Technology in Dallas, Texas. The purpose
      of this
      > conference is to showcase innovation in the community college, so
      the audience
      > is all community college educators, not just ESL professionals.
      There is
      > supposed to be a high-speed Internet connection in the room we're
      presenting in
      > as well as a data projector. We will be able to test out the
      equipment the
      > evening before with a technician on hand to help out.
      >
      > The title of our presentation is "Speaking Online Using Technology
      Tools." We
      > will start out by explaining that our institution, Arizona Western
      College, has
      > become quite involved in Distance Education, especially through
      online courses.
      > Because speaking and listening are both important in language
      learning, we
      > needed to find appropriate tools to use. We then plan to briefly
      introduce our
      > audience to several online tools during our hour-long presentation.
      >
      > Linda will show the use of video clips and Horizon-Wimba discussion
      boards as
      > she has used them within Blackboard in her Spanish classes. Then I
      will show
      > Yahoo Messenger, Alado, and Elluminate via Learning Times. Of
      course, I need
      > your invaluable assistance with these latter three.
      >
      > YM – I'll talk about how I used it in my F2F class to do interviews
      with
      > Webheads. Then I'd like one or 2 of you to tell how you used it in
      your
      > teaching situation. Note that this needs to be using voice, not
      just text, chat
      > (unless we have problems). It would also be nice if at least a
      couple of you
      > could have your webcams running.
      >
      > Alado – I thought I'd start out with a whiteboard map of the world
      and have you
      > write in your locations. Then one or two of you could talk about
      how you've
      > used Alado with a class of students with maybe two slides for each
      of you.

      > Elluminate – Again, the idea is to show how you've used Elluminate
      with your
      > students. I participated in Dafne's students' presentations about
      architecture
      > in Venezuela a while back, and this is a good possibility if Daf is
      available
      > at the time given. In any case, I'd like two Webheads to talk about
      what they
      > have done with students using Elluminate.
      >
      > ***At this point, I'm thinking of 2 Webheads each to talk about
      using YM,
      > Alado, and Elluminate. If you're available at this time and would
      like to
      > present something, please let me know which medium and a little
      about what you
      > did with it and would like to present to our audience. Each person
      would have
      > about 3-4 minutes to briefly explain the activity/activities they
      did.

      > Note that I hope to show how faculty can use voice with students as
      opposed to
      > our use of these medium for professional development. If you work
      with children
      > and your activity would be applicable to teaching adults, that's
      O.K., too.

      > I've been involved in so many of your presentations that I'm
      confident this
      > will all go well, but it's my first time to be a lead presenter as
      opposed to
      > participating in someone else's live presentation, so I'm a little
      nervous. I
      > have not been a moderator for either Alado or Elluminate, so I will
      contact
      > both Andy and Jonathan about that. It would be good if another
      Webhead were
      > available to be a co-moderator.
      >
      > Chris Jones
      >

      > __________________________________
      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Rita Zeinstejer
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2005
        Hi, dear Chris,

        I think I'll be able to make it on October 24, will turn up at my office (at school) later....;-)

        I also participated in Daf's online sessions with her Architecture stds, and for her project on Bridges around the World, I showed a ppt on an Argentinian Bridge, together with Sus and Tere, who also presented on bridges in their places. This is one option, that is, talking on the whole task devised, including lead-in and follow-up activities as well as the interaction with the stds at Elluminate. But I guess it's Dafne who would make a better description of the project and of the impact it had on her stds.

        I might also speak about a project I carried out through YM with my stds and Carol Wilson-Duffy, an EFL teacher from Michigan State University last year. We prepared our stds asynchronously in a forum and then, once they got to know each other, they met on YM for a synchronous chat session. Carol´s stds were studying English in the States, and, coming from other cultures, they found many differences between their customs and the American lifestyle.

        Our project entailed talking about these differences, as students in Argentina have also different ideas on the American way of life, and both Carol and me thought the topic would raise a good deal of discussion and language exchange. So it did, and the chat at YM proved a very realistic kind of interaction. In fact, stds felt so much at ease in the virtual environment they didn't comply too much with the "rules of the game", and their topics soon turned to "sports", in general, as Argentina is well-known in that respect :-(
        I don't happen to have anything to show, though, Chris, sorry to tell you, not even the chatlog. But I might show some other chatlogs I saved on different circumnstances.
        You tell me if anything of this can be of any help to you.

        My best,

        Rita