male crisis [formerly:swallowing a lie]

  • Aiden Yeh
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2 7:59 AM
      Hello Webheads,

      It's good to know that the links to "I want a wife" and "Swallowing a lie" have been useful to some webheads. Some of my students have already posted to the forum. I hope that some of you could visit the forum and leave a note or two. If possible, you could share the links with your students (intermediate- above) to generate a more interesting discussion among students.

      Our topic this week in class is about how gender roles have changed. I'll kick off our class discussion with Rosie the Riveter, then move on to the women in Rwanda (after the genocide), then women in Malaysia.

      After watching the short film about Rosie the Riveter http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/journey/rosie.html , Ladies First [Rwanda's Women] http://www.pbs.org/wnet/wideangle/shows/rwanda/#, and Portraits of ordinary muslims: Malaysia http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/muslims/portraits/malaysia.html, we see that there are changes in the roles that men and women play.

      The point is: should men be threatened by this? Are they?

      On the other hand, in the UK, they reported that,"Women still earn less than men in the UK. Women in their twenties earn 92% of the male wage, while the average gross weekly pay is 72.5% of men's earnings."

      So the question still remains: will men and women be equal- ever

      What's your point of view? Look at the statement below and post your reactions to the forum.

      'Men and women will never be equal, they are too different.'

      Please pass this on to your students.

      Aiden Yeh
      Lecturer, Wen Zao Ursuline College of Foreign Languages
      PhD Candidate, Birmingham University
      TESOL Member, Electronic Village Online Coordinating Team
      TESOL NNEST Caucus List-Serv Manager
      TESOL Membership Committee, Student Team Member
      Join TESOL, https://www2.tesol.org/mbr/application.html

      Yahoo! for Good