aiden and the treasure chest [formerly] presentation October 24, 8:45 p.m. GMT

  • Aiden Yeh
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2005
      Aiden starts digging in her treasure chest.

      While digging, she asks herself, "Where are they? jeez...Where are they????!!!!"...

      And so the search goes on...
      but aiden is hopeful that she'll find what she's looking for. She saw them once before- she knows it- they're just somewhere in the treasure chest.

      to be continued...

      Teresa Almeida d'Eca <tmvaz@...> wrote:

      <snip>

      The only thing still
      missing - mea culpa! - are the screenshots of Aiden, a view of her city, and
      a couple of my students.

    • Dafne
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2005
        Dear Chris,

        It would be a pleasure to talk about how my architecture students presented live online at Alado. I can also mention the podcasting project we are working on in this trimester, and even the bridges project from last trimester.

        I will be there!

        hugs,

        Daf

        Chris Jones <edtec2002@...> wrote:
        Hi, Webheads,

        On Monday, October 24, from 8:45 to 9:45 p.m. GMT, my division chair, Linda
        Elliott-Nelson, and I are presenting at the League for Innovation, 2005
        Conference on Information Technology in Dallas, Texas. The purpose of this
        conference is to showcase innovation in the community college, so the audience
        is all community college educators, not just ESL professionals. There is
        supposed to be a high-speed Internet connection in the room we’re presenting in
        as well as a data projector. We will be able to test out the equipment the
        evening before with a technician on hand to help out.

        The title of our presentation is “Speaking Online Using Technology Tools.” We
        will start out by explaining that our institution, Arizona Western College, has
        become quite involved in Distance Education, especially through online courses.
        Because speaking and listening are both important in language learning, we
        needed to find appropriate tools to use. We then plan to briefly introduce our
        audience to several online tools during our hour-long presentation.

        Linda will show the use of video clips and Horizon-Wimba discussion boards as
        she has used them within Blackboard in her Spanish classes. Then I will show
        Yahoo Messenger, Alado, and Elluminate via Learning Times. Of course, I need
        your invaluable assistance with these latter three.

        YM – I’ll talk about how I used it in my F2F class to do interviews with
        Webheads. Then I’d like one or 2 of you to tell how you used it in your
        teaching situation. Note that this needs to be using voice, not just text, chat
        (unless we have problems). It would also be nice if at least a couple of you
        could have your webcams running.

        Alado – I thought I’d start out with a whiteboard map of the world and have you
        write in your locations. Then one or two of you could talk about how you’ve
        used Alado with a class of students with maybe two slides for each of you.

        Elluminate – Again, the idea is to show how you’ve used Elluminate with your
        students. I participated in Dafne’s students’ presentations about architecture
        in Venezuela a while back, and this is a good possibility if Daf is available
        at the time given. In any case, I’d like two Webheads to talk about what they
        have done with students using Elluminate.

        ***At this point, I’m thinking of 2 Webheads each to talk about using YM,
        Alado, and Elluminate. If you’re available at this time and would like to
        present something, please let me know which medium and a little about what you
        did with it and would like to present to our audience. Each person would have
        about 3-4 minutes to briefly explain the activity/activities they did.

        Note that I hope to show how faculty can use voice with students as opposed to
        our use of these medium for professional development. If you work with children
        and your activity would be applicable to teaching adults, that’s O.K., too.

        I’ve been involved in so many of your presentations that I’m confident this
        will all go well, but it’s my first time to be a lead presenter as opposed to
        participating in someone else’s live presentation, so I’m a little nervous. I
        have not been a moderator for either Alado or Elluminate, so I will contact
        both Andy and Jonathan about that. It would be good if another Webhead were
        available to be a co-moderator.

        Chris Jones

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2005
          Dear Aiden,

          Please stop the search! ;-) You sent them. It's me who hasn't inserted them
          yet!!!! Shame on me! I'll try to do it today!

          Hugs,

          Teresa

        • elderbob@elderbob.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2005
            Does this mean that there is a chance I might get to meet you in person
            for a cup of coffee....or maybe even come and get some live pictures of
            your presentation?. What is the physical location of your presentation?

            elderbob
            PS. Are there any other Webheads who might be in the area for an
            informal meetup? Bob Zwick? Others?

          • Aiden Yeh

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2005
                Hi, Elderbob,

                I'd forgotten you live in or near Dallas. It'd be fantastic to meet in
                person for coffee or dinner.

                It'd also be great to have you at the session, but you would probably
                have to pay the registration fee for the conference, which is
                pricey--around $300-400. The conference will be held at the Wyndham
                Anatole Hotel. Why don't you send me your phone number in a private
                message? Late Monday or Tuesday afternoon/evening would be the best times.

                Chris

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "elderbob@e..."

              • CJones
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Hi, all,

                  I can't believe I did it, but I gave the wrong GMT for this
                  presentation. It is 6:45 to 7:45 p.m. GMT. The local time of the
                  presentation is 1:45 p.m. CDT. (I converted for Arizona time, not the
                  time zone for Dallas.) Sorry! My excuse is that I was on massive
                  doses of prescription sinus medication this weekend and was feeling
                  really exhausted either from the sinus problem or the medication.

                  Chris Jones

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jones

                • Rita Zeinstejer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 4, 2005
                    Hi, dear Chris,

                    I think I'll be able to make it on October 24, will turn up at my office (at school) later....;-)

                    I also participated in Daf's online sessions with her Architecture stds, and for her project on Bridges around the World, I showed a ppt on an Argentinian Bridge, together with Sus and Tere, who also presented on bridges in their places. This is one option, that is, talking on the whole task devised, including lead-in and follow-up activities as well as the interaction with the stds at Elluminate. But I guess it's Dafne who would make a better description of the project and of the impact it had on her stds.

                    I might also speak about a project I carried out through YM with my stds and Carol Wilson-Duffy, an EFL teacher from Michigan State University last year. We prepared our stds asynchronously in a forum and then, once they got to know each other, they met on YM for a synchronous chat session. Carol´s stds were studying English in the States, and, coming from other cultures, they found many differences between their customs and the American lifestyle.

                    Our project entailed talking about these differences, as students in Argentina have also different ideas on the American way of life, and both Carol and me thought the topic would raise a good deal of discussion and language exchange. So it did, and the chat at YM proved a very realistic kind of interaction. In fact, stds felt so much at ease in the virtual environment they didn't comply too much with the "rules of the game", and their topics soon turned to "sports", in general, as Argentina is well-known in that respect :-(
                    I don't happen to have anything to show, though, Chris, sorry to tell you, not even the chatlog. But I might show some other chatlogs I saved on different circumnstances.
                    You tell me if anything of this can be of any help to you.

                    My best,

                    Rita