Re: freeware, shareware...animation

  • Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 27, 2005
      Sharon--
      Elderbob mentioned Flickr, and I think an HTML or
      FLash "badge" from Flickr might work with TI.

      First you need to create a Flickr account, or upload
      the photos you want and "tag" them. When you go to the
      badge creation page:

      <http://www.flickr.com/badge_new.gne>

      You can then select the account your want, or tell it
      to select the tagged photos.

      Flickr then walks you through the steps of creating a
      layout and so on, and you then copy the code it
      creates into the place it will be displayed. The part
      I'm not sure about is how amenable TI is to Flash
      display. You can see an example at the bottom of my
      Webpage:

      <http://www.geocities.com/ehansonsmi>

      The rotating figures look very cool, esp. in the Flash
      version.

      If the Flickr option doesn't work, a search in Google
      for "gif animation" produced dozens of free software,
      including this online version:

      <http://www.gifworks.com/image_editor.html>

      If you have a Mac, GifBuilder is reliable and has an
      OS X update:

      <http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/235>

      But I'll bet lots of Webheads have tried various
      animators, and it would be self-contained in TI. This
      sounds like a great idea!

      --Elizabeth

      > Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:48:16 -0000
      > From: "sharonholdner" <holdners@...>
      > Subject: Freeware, shareware...animated GIF program
      > - cross post
      >
      > Hello Everyone,
      >
      > Changes are taking place in the WiA office in TI. In
      > order to cut
      > down on the vertical scrolling on the Welcome page,
      > the plan is to
      > rotate WH pics, screenshots and some of the text
      > frames via animated
      > GIF.
      >
      > Any suggestions as to where we can obtain a free
      > version of an agp
      > would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Sharon
    • Aiden Yeh
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 27, 2005
        I first thought of typing the usual invitation to post on my class forum for my language and culture but then I thought, it's overused and would not attract attention. Using the title of the text that I'm using for students' discussion on gender roles, There was a young woman who swallowed a lie, is a bit more interesting- and catchy.

        Now that you've read 4 lines of this message, you might as well continue and finish it ;-)

        I've created a discussion forum for my Language and Culture class (new batch for SY 2005-2006) and we're discussing Gender roles this week. I would like to invite you to post your reactions, ideas and opinions about the 2 reading materials that I've assigned my students:

        The Young Woman who swallowed a lie by Meredith Tax
        with illustrations, http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/wlm/tax/

        Forum http://languageculture.forumsplace.com/message15.html

        and

        Why I want a Wife by Judy "Syfers" Brady
        http://www.cwluherstory.com/CWLUArchive/wantawife.html

        Forum http://languageculture.forumsplace.com/message16.html

        I'll be giving this as an assignment for my students and it would be nice if they could see some comments from people (whom they've never met), this would also motivate them to write (the last discussion we had on World englishes was great). I'm hoping that this class would do the same or even better.

        Thank you and I look forward to reading your comments!

        Aiden
        Language and culture class blog
        http://yehlanguageandculture.blogspot.com/

      • Susan Burg
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 27, 2005
          Aiden!!

          Great articles in http://www.cwluherstory.com/CWLUArchive/wantawife.html
          yes, I want a wife, too.
          And this is lovely, The Young Woman who swallowed a lie by Meredith Tax
          http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/wlm/tax/
          I will hang onto all of them and share them!!

          thanks as always,
          Susan
        • Julia Hale
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 27, 2005
            Where is the Web-Heads site in Tapped In (it is Tapped In right?) I
            can't find it. Julia

            _____

            _____

          • Christine Bauer-Ramazani
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 27, 2005
              This is really funny and so appropriate, Susan! I had actually been
              looking for that article "I want a Wife" since it disappeared from the
              latest edition of Mosaic 2. It's a great article to teach ESL students
              about the use and function of irony and tongue-in-cheek expressions,
              which they so often take literally, getting themselves and others into
              potential trouble.

              Christine
              Christine Bauer-Ramazani

              And this is lovely, The Young Woman who swallowed a lie by Meredith Tax
              http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/wlm/tax/
              I will hang onto all of them and share them!!

              thanks as always,
              Susan

              extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
              delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
              Thanks!!
              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Barbara Dieu
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 27, 2005
                http://www.cwluherstory.com/CWLUArchive/wantawife.html

                I have a great wife! My husband :-)
                Warm regards from Brazil,
                Bee

                Barbara Dieu
                http://dekita.org
              • CJones
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 28, 2005
                  Hi, Aiden,

                  These are both thought provoking articles, and I can see that others
                  have already posted some interesting comments. Thanks for pointing
                  them out to us. I don't have a group I can use them with at the
                  moment, but I'm going to file away the links for future use.

                  Chris

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Aiden Yeh
                  <aidenyeh@y...> wrote:

                  > I've created a discussion forum for my Language and Culture class
                  (new batch for SY 2005-2006) and we're discussing Gender roles this
                  week. I would like to invite you to post your reactions, ideas and
                  opinions about the 2 reading materials that I've assigned my students:

                  > The Young Woman who swallowed a lie by Meredith Tax
                  > with illustrations, http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/wlm/tax/
                  >
                  > Forum http://languageculture.forumsplace.com/message15.html
                  >
                  > and
                  >
                  > Why I want a Wife by Judy "Syfers" Brady
                  > http://www.cwluherstory.com/CWLUArchive/wantawife.html
                  >
                  > Forum http://languageculture.forumsplace.com/message16.html
                  >
                  > I'll be giving this as an assignment for my students and it would be
                  nice if they could see some comments from people (whom they've never
                  met), this would also motivate them to write (the last discussion we
                  had on World englishes was great). I'm hoping that this class would do
                  the same or even better.

                  > Thank you and I look forward to reading your comments!
                  >
                  > Aiden
                  > Language and culture class blog
                  > http://yehlanguageandculture.blogspot.com/
                • Wendy Seale-Bakes
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
                    Aiden,

                    I've been looking for the "Why I want a Wife" article for a couple of years. I used it for a discussion seminar in a program called "Self Paced ESL for Professionals" several years ago, and have wanted to pass it on to other groups and colleagues many times since then, but was never able to find it. It's wonderful to have it again. (This is a must read for every woman.) Thank you so much!

                    Will read the Young Woman who Swallowed a Lie before I join the discussion forum.

                    Cheers,
                    Wendy