Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Rita's Conference Sept 23: TIME CHANGE

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7, 2005
      At 10:26 AM 9/8/2005, you wrote:
      >Hi, dear all,
      >
      >Many thanks for your support and for your volunteering to say hi to
      >the live audience on Sept 23. As I suspected, I got the news of a
      >change in the allotted time for my presentation, now slotted at 11.30
      >am GMT.

      Rita - this now means I can join you. :)

      - Michael.
    • Aiden Yeh
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 8, 2005
        At 10:26 AM 9/8/2005, you wrote:
        >Hi, dear all,
        >
        >Many thanks for your support and for your volunteering to say hi to
        >the live audience on Sept 23. As I suspected, I got the news of a
        >change in the allotted time for my presentation, now slotted at 11.30
        >am GMT.

        Rita - this now means I can join you. :)

        - Michael.
        ---------------------

        Me too :-)

        aiden

      • Rita Zeinstejer
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 8, 2005
          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens
          <vstevens@e...> wrote:
> [...]
          It's not
          > always possible I know. We had to do a symposium once from TESOL
          through a
          > dialup we couldn't get installed and tested till the day before the
          event
          > and we suffered cutouts and it was impossible for some to deliver
          their
          > presentations, and this was using Yahoo Messenger.
          >
          > You can only test from the location where you'll present.
          Sometimes I get
          > someone at the site to test it with me. If I were you I'd get
          someone from
          > that place to join in the rehearsal, and get the information you
          don't have
          > now beforehand.
          >
          > YM actually requires a robust connection to work effectively. Of
          all the
          > clients we use regularly it's probably the least reliable. BUT
          since it
          > works over an HTTP port it's the least succeptable to firewalls,
          and that's
          > been our main reason for using it.
          >
          > You really should investigate these issues and not leave things to
          chance.

          > Webheads will bend with the wind though, and I'm sure we'll all get
          you
          > through your presentation. Successfully. As you say, see their
          faces light
          > up.
          >
          > Vance

          Tkank you very much, dear Vance, for being so reassuring...

          I said I need a rehearsal session from home to get to learn the
          ropes, as I've never presented through LT, and then I might have the
          time to try connections and programs in situ the day before,
          hopefully, as I'll be there well in advance.
          Once there on Thursday I will contact you or somebody online to try
          LT or YM from there, but I feel I need the "hands-on" experience
          before.

          I wish the request I sent to contact the technician had been
          answered..., as I did explain to the organizers my need for an early
          preparation, but you know what things are like. Either they ignore
          the complexity of the process or just are too busy to heed my needs.
          As to somebody there to join me..., I doubt it, and I prefer to get
          the necessary confidence myself. Anyway, as I haven't included the
          live session in the abstract, no problem if nothing can be done...
          But surely I'll try my very best.

          So once back in my place I'll see if I can have the chance to
          experiment with LT for a while. Should I ask for permission in
          advance?

          Will stay tuned, your support keeps me going..:-))

          Hugs,

          Rita
        • Lee Baber
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 8, 2005
            11:30 is fine for me!
            Lee

            On Sep 7, 2005, at 8:56 PM, Rita Zeinstejer wrote:

            > Hi, dear all,
            >
            > Many thanks for your support and for your volunteering to say hi to
            > the live audience on Sept 23. As I suspected, I got the news of a
            > change in the allotted time for my presentation, now slotted at 11.30
            > am GMT.
            > Please, those who have offered to show up, see if the new time suits
            > you...(hope so!)
            >
            > As for the options you suggest for broadcasting my pres, Vance, I'd
            > love to be able to do so, but wouldn't like to cut a poor figure in
            > front of an audience, so maybe I'd need a couple of rehearsal
            > sessions to feel confident enough..., mainly bearing in mind it'll be
            > in a place where I have no idea of technological availabilities...,
            > i.e. dial up or broadband, a technician at hand, etc, plus my need to
            > be there well in time to check programs...The rehearsal session
            > should be next week, from home. I'm in Connecticut at the moment,
            > visiting my kids here, and will be back home by Monday evening, so
            > I'll still have a week ahead in case we can arrange to meet at LT and
            > see if I can make it safely...:-))
            >
            > For those who offered to be present and who needed my YM ID (Lee
            > Barber..), it's "ritazeinstejer".
            >
            > Again, my most hearfelt gratefulness to all who are helping me make
            > of this a successful event. Hugs to all,
            >
            > Rita
            >

            > For more information:

            > extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
            > delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
            > Thanks!!
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Barbara Dieu
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 8, 2005
              > Will stay tuned, your support keeps me going..:-))

              I have classes on Friday so will not be able to join you but you can count
              on me if you need to rehearse at LT or Alado.
              Warm regards from Brazil,
              Bee

              Barbara Dieu
              http://dekita.org
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 8, 2005
                > sessions to feel confident enough..., mainly bearing in mind it'll be
                > in a place where I have no idea of technological availabilities...,
                > i.e. dial up or broadband, a technician at hand, etc, plus my need to
                > be there well in time to check programs...The rehearsal session
                > should be next week, from home. I'm in Connecticut at the moment,
                > visiting my kids here, and will be back home by Monday evening, so
                > I'll still have a week ahead in case we can arrange to meet at LT and
                > see if I can make it safely...:-))

                The rehearsal should be from the place you are going to present. It's not
                always possible I know. We had to do a symposium once from TESOL through a
                dialup we couldn't get installed and tested till the day before the event
                and we suffered cutouts and it was impossible for some to deliver their
                presentations, and this was using Yahoo Messenger.

                You can only test from the location where you'll present. Sometimes I get
                someone at the site to test it with me. If I were you I'd get someone from
                that place to join in the rehearsal, and get the information you don't have
                now beforehand.

                YM actually requires a robust connection to work effectively. Of all the
                clients we use regularly it's probably the least reliable. BUT since it
                works over an HTTP port it's the least succeptable to firewalls, and that's
                been our main reason for using it.

                You really should investigate these issues and not leave things to chance.

                Webheads will bend with the wind though, and I'm sure we'll all get you
                through your presentation. Successfully. As you say, see their faces light
                up.

                Vance
              • CJones
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 10, 2005
                  Hi, Rita,

                  This makes your conference time 4:30 a.m. my time, so I won't be
                  there. I'm just not an early bird, but it's good that a number of
                  others will now be able to attend.

                  Chris Jones

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Rita Zeinstejer"
                  <rita@z...> wrote:
                  > Hi, dear all,
                  >
                  > Many thanks for your support and for your volunteering to say hi to
                  > the live audience on Sept 23. As I suspected, I got the news of a
                  > change in the allotted time for my presentation, now slotted at 11.30
                  > am GMT.
                  > Please, those who have offered to show up, see if the new time suits
                  > you...(hope so!)
                  Rita
                • Candace Pauchnick
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 12, 2005
                    Dear Rita,
                    I've been catching up on reading all my emails and I was particularly interested in being able to be a part of your presentation on September 23rd. I am usually an early riser but at 4:30 in the morning I'm not sure if I can make it. If I can get to bed early enough the night before maybe I can participate for a short while before I have to get ready for school. What you're planning sounds exciting. In case I arrive my Yahoo IM ID is: pauchnick
                    Take care,
                    Candy
                    P.S. When I was trying to do a conference for the first time with Yaodong in China, he and Vance showed me how to use Eluminate (for a test run) and Buth gave me a lot of guidance, too, during the actual conference. Others were there to help, also. Even though I was very nervous to have everything go well, there are so many wonderful Webheads willing to help, it was a glorious feeling! I'm sharing this because, no matter what you try for this conference, you will have so many great people there to help!

                    Rita Zeinstejer <rita@...> wrote:
[...]

                    Distance learning Distance learning education online Distance learning schools Distance learning degree