Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Digest Number 1249

  • Andrew Pincon
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2005
      Susan is right on. What has always disturbed me, even when I was young living in New Orleans, is people so much better off behaving badly and complaining about their lot in life.

      40 years ago this month I was in the worse hurricane to ever directly hit New Orleans till Katrina this week, a category 5 hurricane. We had levees that broke, or were blown up by the FBI/military to save our Saturn Missile plant, take your choice. I know since my bother-in-law was by the levee when it went and I was very involved in local rescue and rebuilding then and had "intelligence reports". We had flooded areas, some of the very same locations in the city with over 30,000 homes I might add, that remained flooded for well over 6 months before the water was pumped out. We had devastation everywhere, no power for over 1 month, no water, little in the way of food and no gasoline. We also had very little looting, no murders, no sick, no poor, no children dying in the streets. 40 years later the very same city is reacting so differently to a natural disaster that for those of us who went through Hurricane Betsy and know what damage a storm like this can do to infrastructure
      and the social fabric of a city cannot stomach the break down a civilization like New Orleans.

      The major loss of life 40 years ago was due to the Industrial Canal levee being breached or blown up to save the Saturn missile plant. The major loss of life today is due to human incompetence and humans preying on one another opportunistically. And yet in many ways the two storms, Betsy 40 years ago and Katrina today are very comparable in their destructive power. But this time around mankind is the destructive enemy, not nature. That I think calls for a lesson in humanity comparable to what Susan is saying for her society in Iran, the entire Middle East situation or for what happened 10 years ago in Rwanda and should be taught to children before they find out the hard way through experience which is a very hard teacher.

      My family will be fine, because we have a network of resources that embraced them and their struggle to rebuild their lives will be light compared to many others in New Orleans, the Gulf Coast and for that matter in other disasters, wars or strife. But I always use events like this to underscore the opportunity to learn a life lesson from this pain and strife for to not do so evokes the old cliche: "Those who do not learn from history are condemn to repeat it."

      Thanks to all of you for your kindness and those of you in areas with more problems than Katrina's victims my prayers and good wishes for a more peaceful and kinder world go out to you, especially to your country Susan.

      Andy Pincon

      Message: 5
      Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 08:19:27 -0000
      From: "(Seyyedeh) Susan Marandi"
      Subject: Re: New Orleans

      Dear Andrew and all American Webheads,

      Although I'm sure Andrew is right that we're not seeing even 10% of
      what is happening in New Orleans, Mississippi, etc., even the little
      we did see was shocking beyond belief. Please accept my heart-felt
      sympathy and condolences. I especially feel very much for those of
      you who had personal losses. I can relate to that after our 8 years
      of war, and pray to God for all those who have lost lives, health,
      property, hopes, memories, integrity, or security. I can hardly
      bear to think of it.

      And yet let us not forget that there are millions of other people
      elsewhere, sharing a similar yet crueller, more prolonged fate, not
      at the hands of Nature, but at the hands of human beings. I offer a
      prayer for one and all in the same breath: Dear God, deliver us
      from the hands of Katrina, and deliver us from the hands of George!
      Amen.

      Praying for you hourly,
      Susan Marandi @>---;-
      Tehran, Iran

      Best Regards
      Andrew Pinçon
      Excutive Director
      Digital Workforce Education Society
      An Illinois Entrepreneurship Network Affiliate
      pincon@...
      pincon@...
      http://www.digibridge.org

    • hala fawzi
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2005
        Dearest Andy,
        Disasters always breed strong human beings.I have
        nothing to add but to wish you and your family a
        better,safier and happier "tomorrow".It is great to
        see great people like you who are assured that their
        families will be better.I can feel the frustration
        betwwen your letters.Hang on there.I am sorry that we
        are here always to read and listen to
        you,ONLY.But,beleive me,they all share with you the
        deepest feelings ever.
        We can feel whats boiling inside you.
        All of us do,I am sure.
        May Allah be with you
        Hala.Sudan

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Candace Pauchnick
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2005
          Andy and Susan,
          All the things you said really touched me, deeply, and I will save your letters. Bless you for sharing.
          Candy from San Diego.

          Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 08:19:27 -0000
          From: "(Seyyedeh) Susan Marandi"

[...]

        • (Seyyedeh) Susan Marandi
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2005
            Thanks, Candy, for your sweet message, and Andy, I agree with you
            wholeheartedly. The sudden loss of all that one has painstakingly
            built over the years is terrible, and I pray for each and every one
            of those who are suffering such pain, yet everything is easier to
            bear when love, understanding and kindness are there; and even the
            slightest hardship is unbearable when we feel that it has been
            intentionally and willfully inflicted upon us.

            May there always be enough love, wisdom and understanding in the
            world!

            Warm wishes,
            Susan @>---;-

            BTW, Andy, if your family are at all like yourself, I am sure they
            will soon be back on their feet and learning from the very hardships
            and struggles. I pray that it may be so! :-)

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Candace Pauchnick