WiAOC update

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2005
      Hi Webheads,

      It's been a while since I've updated you on progress on WiAOC, our
      online conference, or convergence, as ElderBob got us calling it.
      Or perhaps you've been tracking progress youselves at:
      http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/convergence2005.htm

      or one of the mirror sites:
      -
      http://69.93.138.106/~wia/vstevens/papers/evonline2002/convergence200
      5.htm
      -
      http://www.prof2000.pt/users/vstevens/papers/evonline2002/convergence
      2005.htm

      In a nutshell, the conference is slated to go ahead from Friday to
      Sunday, November 18 - 20, 2005. We have three confirmed keynote
      speakers: Dave Sperling, Joy Egbert, and Curt Bonk. I'm waiting on
      yes or no from a couple others.

      The call for papers has gone out to numerous lists:
      apacall@..., CALICO-L, CATESOL TELL-IG, DEOS-L,
      EgyptWebheads; EuroCALL, Global Learn Day YahooGroup, IATEFL-l, ICIS-
      L, ITA-L, Mahdia_2004, Neteach-l, SANTEC, TESLCA-L, TESP-L, and
      appears on The Communication Initiative website at
      http://www.comminit.com/events_calendar/2005-events/events-4017.html

      Of course we can use your help in distributing the call to others.
      You can find the text of our announcement at Tiny URL:
      http://tinyurl.com/d4fd5
      or simply refer your colleagues to that URL.

      The deadline for the CfP is Sept 15. Fernanda has set up a dynamic
      submissions site for us that will handle our vetting process and
      scheduling as well (Fernanda also did the graphic for our Moodle).
      http://users.prof2000.pt/wia/oc

      The great thing about the site is that once you've set up your ID
      and password you can revisit your proposal as often as you like
      between now and Sept 15, so there is no need to have everything
      ready offline for submission (did it go? was there a network error?
      Do I have to do it all again?? NO this one works very nicely :-)

      Try it, you'll like it. We WANT you to try it. We'd like to have as
      many proposals from Webheads as possible. We want to know what
      you're up to and this is your chance to tell the world. You can
      present any time day or night (your day, your night, your choice).
      There are from 48 to 72 hours of time available and whereas we don't
      intend to fill them all, we have multiple venues, so do the math,
      and get your proposals in.

      A lot of people have been particularly helpful with this
      conference. They are listed at our portal under tasks and teams. I
      hesitate to start naming them here for fear of overlooking someone
      but I'd like to thank the many who have donated time, expertise, and
      server space to our cause. Without such support we could not have
      contemplated putting on our own conference, and with so much support
      the workload has been distributed to doable levels.

      Our next task is to vet the proposals. We have a rubric online that
      our current vetting team seems happy with, and you can find it at
      Tasks and Teams at our portal.
      http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/convergenc
      e2005.htm#tasks

      I'd like to steer you there so you can see who's signed up for this
      job so far, and you can see that with each proposal getting three
      readers, we could use a few more helpers, in case you anticipate
      having some free time toward the end of September.

      Other teams are listed there and all need helpers.

      Let us hear from you if you'd like to pitch in or you can get in
      touch via the proposal submissions form, or both. Or perhaps we'll
      see your announcement of our conference on one of the lists we
      follow.

      Best,

      Vance
    • Leanne Mackenzie
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2005
        Vance,
        Thanks for supplying us with a tinyURL for the Tasks
        and Teams portal http://tinyurl.com/ad4bk

        (The wonders of instant messaging and multitasking!)

        Tasks and Teams at our portal.
        http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/convergenc
        e2005.htm#tasks

        Leanne