Re: [evonline2002_webheads] New Orleans in the throes of Katrina, and apocalypse

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005
      At 09:31 PM 9/3/2005, Teresa wrote:
      >Dear Andy and all American friends,
      >
      >I still haven't come to terms with the fact that these chaotic images are
      >coming to us from the U.S.

      Yes that's the amazing thing about all this isn't it Tere? We're so
      conditioned to images like this coming from the developing world, but
      not from the Western world. To state the obvious. it just goes to
      show that Nature's the boss.

      Like anyone who's visited New Orleans I keep remembering things I saw
      when I visited there. And wondering what's there now....
      http://users.chariot.net.au/~michaelc/US/no.htm

      - Michael.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005
        Dear Michael,

        Thanks for sharing the lovely photos. Heartbreaking to think that most
        probably nothing is there any more. More heartbreaking is all the human
        suffering and misery.

        I've included the page in our WiA Index under your name in Homepages.

        Hugs,

        Teresa

        > Like anyone who's visited New Orleans I keep remembering things I saw
        > when I visited there. And wondering what's there now....
        > http://users.chariot.net.au/~michaelc/US/no.htm
        > - Michael.
      • Maria Irene Urriola
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005
          In 1999, when there were mudslides and flooding in Vargas State, here in
          Venezuela and our "beloved" president rejected the American Government aid,
          most of us though chavez went crazy. But, after reading the letter below,
          could we, Venezuelans, say he did the wrong thing?
          The Bible says that one cannot be light to others and darkness at home.
          Greetings from sunny and hot Valencia, Venezuela,
          Maria Irene

          Friday, September 2nd, 2005
          Dear Mr. Bush:

          Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and
          thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on
          earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help
          finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a
          drag.

          Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really
          use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping
          with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

          Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of
          Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it
          was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still
          homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its
          way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you
          didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get
          bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to
          ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

          I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to
          Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't
          let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and
          what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

          And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you
          specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans
          this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you
          hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army
          engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important
          construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

          On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was
          moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you
          flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey,
          I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and
          act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

          There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use
          it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to
          nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because
          the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm
          like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken
          Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it
          would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to
          Cleveland.

          No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent
          of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no
          transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not
          like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on
          their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING
          -- to do with this!

          You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters
          and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast
          are near Tikrit.

          Yours,

          Michael Moore
          MMFlint@...
          www.MichaelMoore.com

          P.S. That annoying mother, Cindy Sheehan, is no longer at your ranch. She
          and dozens of other relatives of the Iraqi War dead are now driving across
          the country, stopping in many cities along the way. Maybe you can catch up
          with them before they get to DC on September 21st.

          >I still haven't come to terms with the fact that these chaotic images are
          >coming to us from the U.S.

          Yes that's the amazing thing about all this isn't it Tere? We're so
          conditioned to images like this coming from the developing world, but
          not from the Western world. To state the obvious. it just goes to
          show that Nature's the boss.

          Like anyone who's visited New Orleans I keep remembering things I saw
          when I visited there. And wondering what's there now....
          http://users.chariot.net.au/~michaelc/US/no.htm

          - Michael.

          Yahoo! Groups Links