Re: [evonline2002_webheads] New Orleans in the throes of Katrina, and apocalypse

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005
      Dear Andy and all American friends,

      I've been devastated by the images I see day after day on TV of the horrific
      catastrophe in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama caused by hurricane
      Katrina, and I'm at loss for words to express all the different emotions and
      thoughts that are going through my mind. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

      I feel deeply for everybody there - victims, survivors, evacuees... -, and
      for the horrific ordeal they're going through.

      I hope none of you has missing relatives or friends in that area.

      I still haven't come to terms with the fact that these chaotic images are
      coming to us from the U.S.

      Hugs all,

      Teresa
    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005
        At 09:31 PM 9/3/2005, Teresa wrote:
        >Dear Andy and all American friends,
        >
        >I still haven't come to terms with the fact that these chaotic images are
        >coming to us from the U.S.

        Yes that's the amazing thing about all this isn't it Tere? We're so
        conditioned to images like this coming from the developing world, but
        not from the Western world. To state the obvious. it just goes to
        show that Nature's the boss.

        Like anyone who's visited New Orleans I keep remembering things I saw
        when I visited there. And wondering what's there now....
        http://users.chariot.net.au/~michaelc/US/no.htm

        - Michael.
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005
          Dear Michael,

          Thanks for sharing the lovely photos. Heartbreaking to think that most
          probably nothing is there any more. More heartbreaking is all the human
          suffering and misery.

          I've included the page in our WiA Index under your name in Homepages.

          Hugs,

          Teresa

          > Like anyone who's visited New Orleans I keep remembering things I saw
          > when I visited there. And wondering what's there now....
          > http://users.chariot.net.au/~michaelc/US/no.htm
          > - Michael.
        • Maria Irene Urriola
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005
            In 1999, when there were mudslides and flooding in Vargas State, here in
            Venezuela and our "beloved" president rejected the American Government aid,
            most of us though chavez went crazy. But, after reading the letter below,
            could we, Venezuelans, say he did the wrong thing?
            The Bible says that one cannot be light to others and darkness at home.
            Greetings from sunny and hot Valencia, Venezuela,
            Maria Irene

            Friday, September 2nd, 2005
            Dear Mr. Bush:

            Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and
            thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on
            earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help
            finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a
            drag.

            Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really
            use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping
            with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

            Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of
            Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it
            was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still
            homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its
            way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you
            didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get
            bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to
            ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

            I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to
            Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't
            let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and
            what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

            And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you
            specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans
            this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you
            hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army
            engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important
            construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

            On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was
            moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you
            flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey,
            I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and
            act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

            There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use
            it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to
            nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because
            the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm
            like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken
            Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it
            would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to
            Cleveland.

            No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent
            of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no
            transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not
            like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on
            their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING
            -- to do with this!

            You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters
            and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast
            are near Tikrit.

            Yours,

            Michael Moore
            MMFlint@...
            www.MichaelMoore.com

            P.S. That annoying mother, Cindy Sheehan, is no longer at your ranch. She
            and dozens of other relatives of the Iraqi War dead are now driving across
            the country, stopping in many cities along the way. Maybe you can catch up
            with them before they get to DC on September 21st.

            >I still haven't come to terms with the fact that these chaotic images are
            >coming to us from the U.S.

            Yes that's the amazing thing about all this isn't it Tere? We're so
            conditioned to images like this coming from the developing world, but
            not from the Western world. To state the obvious. it just goes to
            show that Nature's the boss.

            Like anyone who's visited New Orleans I keep remembering things I saw
            when I visited there. And wondering what's there now....
            http://users.chariot.net.au/~michaelc/US/no.htm

            - Michael.

            Yahoo! Groups Links