Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Ideas for Keynote?

  • Barbara Dieu
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 10, 2005
      > I have the great pleasure of giving a keynote address at the
      > Australian Adult Migrant Education Program national conference in
      > September
      Congratulations Michael! Will the webheads be able to hear the Voice as well
      ?

      > * if you were to attend a keynote on the role of web technology in
      > language teaching what ONE THING would you expect to hear about in
      > such an address, OR what ONE THING would you like to hear about?

      Web technology per se is nothing without the people behind it (the people
      who create it and the people who use it) Web technology is a tool which
      brings people together. Learning to use web technology is like learning to
      use a new language through which you can express your identity online, are
      exposed to others, collaborate and create.

      My two humble cents of real
      Warm regards from Brazil,
      Bee

      Barbara Dieu
      http://dekita.org
    • Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 10, 2005
        I think blogs are still a very hot topic, Micheal,
        esp. as video and audio blogging are developing.

        (Did I sneak in two topics there?)

        Hope this Keynote will be Webcast.

        Cheers--
        --Elizabeth

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 10, 2005
          Hi, Michael!

          Congrats on the invitation! :-)

          I'd like to hear about "online tools that could help me interact with others
          in my education program" such as chat platforms, voice mail, discussion
          forums, blogs and audioblogs, vclasses and online communities where some/all
          these tools could be used and explored for learning. As Bee said, the people
          behind the technology are essential and both - elements tools and people -
          complement each other. It's high tech with high touch.

          Hugs,

          Teresa

          > * if you were to attend a keynote on the role of web technology in
          > language teaching what ONE THING would you expect to hear about in
          > such an address, OR what ONE THING would you like to hear about?
          > - Michael.
        • Buthaina Al-Othman
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 10, 2005
            Hi Michael,

            In addition to the interesting things mentioned by Bee and Tere, I'd
            like to stress that indicated by Elizabeth, Audioblogging, in
            particular. It's one thing I'd be happy to hear and learn more
            about.

            Moblogging is another thing that I expect to hear about; I'd be
            thrilled to hear more about ways or situations it's used.

            Finally, sustaining communities of practice online is still a hot
            topic that I'd also like to hear about. (Hope I'm not too
            demanding), ;-)

            Good luck!

            PS Hoping to hear you voicing all that through a webcast, :-)

            In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Michael Coghlan wrote:
            > Dear Webheads,
            >
            > I have the great pleasure of giving a keynote address at the
            > Australian Adult Migrant Education Program national conference in
            > September, and to help me plan my presentation I would like your
            > thoughts to this one question:
            >
            > * if you were to attend a keynote on the role of web technology in
            > language teaching what ONE THING would you expect to hear about in
            > such an address, OR what ONE THING would you like to hear about?
            >
            > I have lots of ideas (probably too many) and I'm curious to know
            what
            > your thoughts are on this question.
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            >
            > - Michael.
          • Dafne
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 10, 2005
              Michael, I would add podcasting to all the topics mentioned :-) and I raise my hand for a webcast!

              hugs,

              Daf

              Buthaina Al-Othman <buthaina_3@...> wrote:
              Hi Michael,

              In addition to the interesting things mentioned by Bee and Tere, I'd
              like to stress that indicated by Elizabeth, Audioblogging, in
              particular. It's one thing I'd be happy to hear and learn more
              about.

              Moblogging is another thing that I expect to hear about; I'd be
              thrilled to hear more about ways or situations it's used.

              Finally, sustaining communities of practice online is still a hot
              topic that I'd also like to hear about. (Hope I'm not too
              demanding), ;-)

              Good luck!

              PS Hoping to hear you voicing all that through a webcast, :-)

              In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Michael Coghlan wrote:
              > Dear Webheads,
              >
              > I have the great pleasure of giving a keynote address at the
              > Australian Adult Migrant Education Program national conference in
              > September, and to help me plan my presentation I would like your
              > thoughts to this one question:
              >
              > * if you were to attend a keynote on the role of web technology in
              > language teaching what ONE THING would you expect to hear about in
              > such an address, OR what ONE THING would you like to hear about?
              >
              > I have lots of ideas (probably too many) and I'm curious to know
              what
              > your thoughts are on this question.
              >
              > Thanks in advance,
              >
              > - Michael.

              Distance learning computer Distance learning Computer science distance learning Computer training distance learning School education Distance learning graduate school

            • David Winet
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 10, 2005
                I would like to hear success stories from students who made progress with
                their language learning online. From the horse's mouth, as we say.
                Dave Winet
                On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Michael Coghlan wrote:

                > Dear Webheads,
                >
                > I have the great pleasure of giving a keynote address at the
                > Australian Adult Migrant Education Program national conference in
                > September, and to help me plan my presentation I would like your
                > thoughts to this one question:
                >
                > * if you were to attend a keynote on the role of web technology in
                > language teaching what ONE THING would you expect to hear about in
                > such an address, OR what ONE THING would you like to hear about?
                >
                > I have lots of ideas (probably too many) and I'm curious to know what
                > your thoughts are on this question.
                >
                > Thanks in advance,
                >
                > - Michael.
                >

                > For more information:
                >
                > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Rita Zeinstejer
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 11, 2005
                  Hi, Michael!

                  Congrats from me as well on your participation !
                  My two cents here:
                  In countries where English is not commonly heard outside the English classroom, the Web and the tools it offers are the best options to allow students of the language to practise it in authentic and meaningful situations. It's then up to teachers to realize and understand this, to join a CoP to learn the how-to's, and open up their minds to offer realia to their students.

                  Hugs,

                  Rita

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 11, 2005
                    Congratulations, Michael, another feather in your headdress ...

                    When I give talks such as this I usually try to make people see the
                    connection between trying out the tools and gaining familiarity with them by
                    joining in learning communties of practice, at which point they can THEN
                    consider using them with students, once they've become second nature through
                    experience and experimentation with colleagues who themselves are trying to
                    learn more about the tools they think are useful in education.

                    Other than that, I would expect to hear about ways that YOU are
                    experimenting and pioneering use of these tools.

                    Break a leg,

                    > I have the great pleasure of giving a keynote address at the
                    > Australian Adult Migrant Education Program national conference in
                    > September, and to help me plan my presentation I would like your
                    > thoughts to this one question:
                    >
                    > * if you were to attend a keynote on the role of web technology in
                    > language teaching what ONE THING would you expect to hear about in
                    > such an address, OR what ONE THING would you like to hear about?
                    >
                    > I have lots of ideas (probably too many) and I'm curious to know what
                    > your thoughts are on this question.
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance,
                    >
                    > - Michael.
                    >

                    > For more information:

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • CJones
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 11, 2005
                      Hi, Michael,

                      I agree with Dave Winet. I'd like to hear how students have been
                      successful in learning English through using web technology. I think
                      this would encourage more teachers to learn how to use web technology
                      as a tool once they see how it benefitted students.

                      My 2 cents.

                      Chris Jones

                      P.S. Congratulations on being the keynote speaker.

                      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, David Winet
                      <dwinet@t...> wrote:
                      > I would like to hear success stories from students who made progress
                      with
                      > their language learning online. From the horse's mouth, as we say.
                      > Dave Winet
                      > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Michael Coghlan wrote:
                      >
                      > > Dear Webheads,
                      > >
                      > > I have the great pleasure of giving a keynote address at the
                      > > Australian Adult Migrant Education Program national conference in
                      > > September, and to help me plan my presentation I would like your
                      > > thoughts to this one question:
                      > >
                      > > * if you were to attend a keynote on the role of web technology in
                      > > language teaching what ONE THING would you expect to hear about in
                      > > such an address, OR what ONE THING would you like to hear about?
                      > >
                      > > I have lots of ideas (probably too many) and I'm curious to know what
                      > > your thoughts are on this question.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks in advance,
                      > >
                      > > - Michael.
                    • Maria Irene Urriola
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 12, 2005
                        Hi all,
                        I'll be on vacation next week, for a whole month.....
                        I agree with Michael and Dave Winet, as well as with Rita. Technology is a
                        very helpful tool for those who want to learn English in countries where
                        it's not the native language, like for example Venezuela. My students have
                        improved a lot by using the net.
                        Greetings,
                        Maria Irene

                        <dwinet@t...> wrote:
                        > I would like to hear success stories from students who made progress
                        with
                        > their language learning online. From the horse's mouth, as we say.
                        > Dave Winet
                        > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Michael Coghlan wrote:
                        >
                        > > Dear Webheads,
                        > >
                        > > I have the great pleasure of giving a keynote address at the
                        > > Australian Adult Migrant Education Program national conference in
                        > > September, and to help me plan my presentation I would like your
                        > > thoughts to this one question:
                        > >
                        > > * if you were to attend a keynote on the role of web technology in
                        > > language teaching what ONE THING would you expect to hear about in
                        > > such an address, OR what ONE THING would you like to hear about?
                        > >
                        > > I have lots of ideas (probably too many) and I'm curious to know what
                        > > your thoughts are on this question.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks in advance,
                        > >
                        > > - Michael.

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Ismail Fayed
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 12, 2005
                          Hi Michael,

                          Good to hear about your good news.

                          One topic or decision I might like to hear about is that most countries of the world started to promote and encourage researches related to Ed. Tech. in general and using open source applications in general. I read that few countries realized the importance of such open source software and programs, where there are no copyright restrictions for a certain person or entity over that program. Most of these programs were developed by volunteer individuals and are available online for anybody to use or even to further develop. Using such programs will save millions of dollars for many individuals and institutions, and - above all - will help learners and researchers use more resources freely without worrying about the fund or other legal issues.

                          Another issue might be using web technology in all educational institutions, especially in the Middle East, or at least half of them in a professional and fruitful way. For me, that is still a question and a dream at the same time....

                          Anyhow, I like the question and most of the answers you got so far.

                          Regards,

                          Ismail.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 13, 2005
                            Hi Michael,

                            What might be even more persuasive would be quotes or testimonials from
                            online ESL teachers (the kind who are getting paid to do it) or (even
                            better) ESL program administrators, as in "we did this online thing, the
                            students liked it, and it made money..." Just a thought!

                            All the best,
                            Dave W.

                          • John Hibbs
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 14, 2005
                              I would mention that the promulgation of technology in the classroom
                              is very weak; that the new tools, to include mobcasting and
                              podcasting, and the old tools, to include radio, are not used
                              effectively.

                              I would argue that the biggest mountain left to climb is the fierce
                              resistance to change, and that only by effective, ongoing, widespread
                              promultation of practices as the Webheads consistently provide will
                              ease the climb and accelerate that time when the mountain top is
                              reached.

                              The question is not whether we will reach the mountaint top. It is
                              when? And how many will be left behind if that time to reach the top
                              is longer rather than shorter.

                              My two American cents.

                              At 1:19 PM -0700 8/10/05, Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith wrote:
                              >I think blogs are still a very hot topic, Micheal,
                              >esp. as video and audio blogging are developing.
                              >
                              >(Did I sneak in two topics there?)
                              >
                              >Hope this Keynote will be Webcast.
                              >
                              >Cheers--
                              >--Elizabeth
                              >

                              >> Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:43:36 +0930
                              >> From: Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...>
                              >> Subject: Ideas for Keynote?
                              >>
                              >> Dear Webheads,
                              >>
                              >> I have the great pleasure of giving a keynote
                              >> address at the
                              >> Australian Adult Migrant Education Program national
                              >> conference in
                              >> September, and to help me plan my presentation I
                              >> would like your
                              >> thoughts to this one question:
                              >>
                              >> * if you were to attend a keynote on the role of web
                              >> technology in
                              >> language teaching what ONE THING would you expect to
                              >> hear about in
                              >> such an address, OR what ONE THING would you like to
                              >> hear about?
                              >>
                              >> I have lots of ideas (probably too many) and I'm
                              >> curious to know what
                              >> your thoughts are on this question.
                              >>
                              >> Thanks in advance,
                              >>
                              >> - Michael.
                              >>

                              >For more information:

                              >extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
                              >delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply -
                              >Thanks!!
                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • soraya halfaoui
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 14, 2005
                                Hi Michael,
                                Congrats! and sorry for not having posted any suggestion about your keynote presentation, i'm not an expert in this domain; yet i'm making effort to keep in touch with the rapid changes that occur everyday!
                                in your last email you mentioned that you was in need of actual testemonies about students that made progress in learning using technological tools, well i've realised recently( April 2005) a survey of about 150 students of English language here at the department of foreign languages in Tlemcen , Algeria( mainly intermediate students) who responded to a questionnaire that delt with this issue . i will be happy to share the results with you, please let me now if you are interested.

                                Best regards,

                                Soraya Halfaoui

                                http://soraya-in-progress.blogspot.com

                                Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...> a écrit :
                                Dear Webheads,

                                I have the great pleasure of giving a keynote address at the
                                Australian Adult Migrant Education Program national conference in
                                September, and to help me plan my presentation I would like your
                                thoughts to this one question:

                                * if you were to attend a keynote on the role of web technology in
                                language teaching what ONE THING would you expect to hear about in
                                such an address, OR what ONE THING would you like to hear about?

                                I have lots of ideas (probably too many) and I'm curious to know what
                                your thoughts are on this question.

                                Thanks in advance,

                                - Michael.

                              • Michael Coghlan
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 14, 2005
                                  Soraya - I would love to see the results of the
                                  survey you did with your students in Algeria.
                                  Thank you! I look forward to reading them,

                                  - Michael