Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Digest Number 1224

  • David Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2005
      This may be relevant to Michael's question.

      Peace,

      David

      Hello everyone,

      I am a Stanford undergraduate majoring in Public Policy, and I am
      currently interning for an organization that may be able to help some of
      your advanced immigrant ESL students. Upwardly Global
      (http://www.upwardlyglobal.org) is a SF based non-profit that helps
      immigrant professionals rebuild their careers here in the United States.
      Our mission is to increase economic opportunities for unemployed and
      underemployed refugees, asylees, and immigrants and to decrease the
      discrimination against immigrants in the labor market.

      I have been working on contacting as many organizations, community
      centers, community colleges, etc. as possible and would like to reach
      the Adult ESL programs that serve immigrants who we can enroll in our
      jobseeker program. I have already been in touch with several adult
      schools in the South Bay, Oakland, and Berkeley who have agreed to keep
      some of our outreach materials on hand and to refer qualified
      jobseekers.

      If you are part of a school or organization and would be interested in
      hearing more about our program, please let me know. If anyone has any
      ideas on how else I can reach Adult ESL and other relevant training
      programs on a mass level, that would also be great. Any suggestions
      would be much appreciated.

      Thanks for your time,

      Laura Villanueva
      Summer Intern
      Upwardly Global

      evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Ideas for Keynote?
      From: Michael Coghlan

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:43:36 +0930
      From: Michael Coghlan
      Subject: Ideas for Keynote?

      Dear Webheads,

      I have the great pleasure of giving a keynote address at the
      Australian Adult Migrant Education Program national conference in
      September, and to help me plan my presentation I would like your
      thoughts to this one question:

      * if you were to attend a keynote on the role of web technology in
      language teaching what ONE THING would you expect to hear about in
      such an address, OR what ONE THING would you like to hear about?

      I have lots of ideas (probably too many) and I'm curious to know what
      your thoughts are on this question.

      Thanks in advance,

      - Michael.

      Peace,

      David

    • Dan Bassill
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2005
        David,

        As you are collecting your information, I encourage you and the programs
        you are working with to build a master database/web site of ESL programs and
        information similar to what we've been trying to do with volunteer-based
        tutor/mentor programs. You can see our library and how we lead a public
        awareness campaign intended to help every tutor/mentor program get
        attention, volunteers and operating dollars on a more consistent basis, by
        visiting http://www.tutormentorconnection.org and
        http://www.tutormentorexchange.net

        Perhaps their are some people at Stanford who might want to make the
        collection of this information an on-going program led by students who are
        doing research, serving as interns, or who are part of service learning
        programs.

        Dan Bassill
        Tutor/Mentor Connection